Someone has a lot of nerve...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SuperDave

I was fortunate to be paired with CaptG (Gary Nicholls) in a past 2007 Pen Exchange. He spared no effort or expense in producing two beautiful instruments. One was a modified, Closed Flame End, Majestic Fountain Pen, with a very expensive upgraded Gold Nib. The craftsmanship and styling were superb.

It arrived in a supple Black Leather Pen Pouch. To say I was blown away is a gross understatement. I spent hours admiring it and enjoying the feel of my first Fountain Pen... and one of such a high quality and value, that I would never have spent that much on myself. I took every opportunity to show EVERYONE that stopped by, my special treasure and exclaim how fortunate I was.

Last week I was going through my limited collection of writing instruments, and my heart sank. My one and only Fountain Pen, given to me as a gift, was missing. Someone had stolen it. They passed on everything else, including an expensive Digital SLR Camera. The only thing missing was Gary's Fountain Pen. This leads me to believe that it was stolen by someone that I had previously invited into my home and with whom I had shared my joy and appreciation for such a special gift. That makes it even harder to swallow than if someone had broken in and stolen everything in sight... a friend that you trust enough to invite in and share a special moment of your life, chooses to steal from you. I know that "it all burns up in th end" but betrayal still stings...

I suppose the silver lining on this cloud is that the thief validated the fact that Gary's gift was indeed of very special significance and value, as they only stole that one instrument... then again, the few pens I made that I felt were worth keeping, were left untouched... now that adds insult to injury!

D

Attachments

• FP-1 2007.jpg
    FP-1 2007.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 213
  • FP-2 2007.jpg
    FP-2 2007.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 218
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
It really sucks when something gets stolen, but when you know it was a friend, it is even worse. Time for a beat down party. I hate scumbags like that.

rherrell

Karma, if you TRULY believe in it, it'll help ease the pain. I know it helps me.
We still need a beat down party though:beat-up:

SuperDave

Super ... take a deep breath and start searching the house. Surely you must have misplaced it. Don't you think? Friends don't steal. Right?

Doc... yeah, we spent three days turning the house upside-down. I never even loaded an ink cartridge, as I was not ready to use it just yet. It was on permanent display in the hutch in the living room. We live a pretty simple lifestyle and do not have a lot of "stuff" around the house, so it's pretty easy to do a search for lost items... It also makes it pretty easy to find something you want that doesn't belong to you.

The deep breath or 10, is a good suggestion :)

As much as I like the pen, I more bothered by the act itself. We think the act occurred during my fathers 80th birthday celebration, as many people were admiring the pen and more than one asked if the stone in the clip was a real diamond. Guess we should have had our radar up.

Oh well, our treasures, hope and future does not lay in material possessions!

bitshird

SuperDave, I know sort of how you feel, When I was making jewelery I got a .58 CT Si Diamond with excellent color for my son, He wanted to set it him self, and had taken it home to show his bride to be, one of his low life friends stole it. It wasn't hard to figure out who it was so he contacted all his other friends and told them what had transpired, A couple of weeks went by and he got a call from a friend of a friend, who had traded the thief for it. We redeemed the stone. Two days later this freak made a critical error in judgment, he came by my shop, Jeremy was there so we locked the door and had a wonderful time, my son is a Tae Kwon Do 2nd degree black belt, stands 6 ft 3 and moves like lightning, It cost us 100.00 to get the stone back, and after about 3 or 4 minutes of being a kicking bag he came up with 45.00 and was never seen in Mc Nairy county again, he was killed robbing a small store in Mississippi about three months later, See Karma get's it done, of course I was just watching, I did enjoy the proceedings, I used to love watching my boy work out.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
What a terrible thing to happen...

I sincerely hope that it's been misplaced...but if not, don't allow this to cloud your view of human nature. Don't hide away all your other prized belongings in fear that someone will swipe them too - living in fear is not truly living.

In the meantime, Cross your fingers and pray hard for the return of your favourite pen...

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
Super ... take a deep breath and start searching the house. Surely you must have misplaced it. Don't you think? Friends don't steal. Right?
Al is correct about that, friends don't steal. Someone posing as a friend may steal though. I have the rope and the duct tape, now all we need is a target.

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
SuperDave, I know sort of how you feel, When I was making jewelery I got a .58 CT Si Diamond with excellent color for my son, He wanted to set it him self, and had taken it home to show his bride to be, one of his low life friends stole it. It wasn't hard to figure out who it was so he contacted all his other friends and told them what had transpired, A couple of weeks went by and he got a call from a friend of a friend, who had traded the thief for it. We redeemed the stone. Two days later this freak made a critical error in judgment, he came by my shop, Jeremy was there so we locked the door and had a wonderful time, my son is a Tae Kwon Do 2nd degree black belt, stands 6 ft 3 and moves like lightning, It cost us 100.00 to get the stone back, and after about 3 or 4 minutes of being a kicking bag he came up with 45.00 and was never seen in Mc Nairy county again, he was killed robbing a small store in Mississippi about three months later, See Karma get's it done, of course I was just watching, I did enjoy the proceedings, I used to love watching my boy work out.
And who says there is no such thing as justice anymore. I hope he didn't stain your carpet.

dgscott

Bunch of years ago I sent a University of Pennsylvania sweatshirt to a friend in northern Sweden. A year later, he wrote to tell me that his car had been stolen and the sweatshirt was in the back seat. Two months after it was stolen, he was competing in a track meet in Stockholm when someone came in wearing a UofP sweatshirt. He cornered the guy (at 6'7" he's pretty imposing), and long story short, got back the car and the sweatshirt.

There's karma in the world, and you may not have seen the last of your pen. Just in case, plan on opening a can of whoopass!

GBusardo

This story bothers me to the core. I am hoping somehow you get that pen back. Some years back I had my fishing tackle box stolen. I had some lures and tackle in there that my dad had given me back in the sixties. As in this case, the item and the feeling one gets while looking at the gift, cannot be replaced.
Whatever goes around, comes around.

MobilMan

Dave, bad news. Sorry to hear it. Don't say anything to friends about it. Sooner or later the thief will show it or brag about it to some one & it'll get back to you. It will more than likely be the first person that brings up a subject about the pen. "Hows that pen write?" "Ya still got that pen". Question you about it. 95% of the time, that will be the thief. To try to throw the blame away from him/her. Plus their attitude will be a little different first time they are around you. Nervous, more talkative, etc. You can pickup on that because they WILL be more nervous than usual. Hopefully your fist & their jaw will make a good connection. Good luck on getting it back soon.

1JaredSchmidt

I can't believe a friend would do that.:mad: I really feel sorry for you.

I still can't figure out who stole my candy bar the day before yesterday.:mad: Hey! Someone really did.:frown:

Ozzy

I sure hate to hear that Dave. I really hope that it was misplaced because you're a hellofa nice guy and I hate to hear that some p.o.s. stole something from you.
I hope you get it back.

I would suggest having a pen returning party. Invite all the guests that were at the original one. Offer all that attend a chance to return it at the party and all will be forgiven as a judgement in error. One thing for sure, everyone who attends will know that the one that doesnt show up, probably took it, but it may just show back up.

Boomer

I would almost be tempted to invite them all back for another party andin the middle of the festivities I would have a come to Jesus meeting with the group and figure out who the theif is and then well lets just say explain to them how they are not appreciated or welcome around again.

DocStram

I don't know Super ..... on the one hand I want to say find who it is and then kick butt. But, when you stop to think about it ..... violence isn't the answer.

I'm thinking that maybe you should send some prayers up for the person who stole it. They're obviously somebody in need of help. Their lack of moral conviction is going to lead them to bigger problems. Praying for them seems like a good to route to go. Like, finding out who it is and kicking their butt isn't really going to solve anything. Know what I mean?

Last edited:

rjwolfe3

I'm with you, I would like to see justice served. That is a beautiful, priceless work of art. But I can guarentee that whoever took it can't possible enjoy it. He/she is probably too scared to take it out of whatever hidding spot it is in. Hopefully the acid is burning a hole as they worry about if they will get caught and I hope they can't sleep at night either. My prayer is that it gets returned to you.

SuperDave

Doc,

I agree with all you have said. I have delt with the "material" end of the issue, and yes, it stings a bit, however, as you said, more important issues are at stake here. It WILL all burn up in the end...

From what I have gathered, one of the suspect parties has been pawning a lot of "stuff" lately, so if they did remove the pen, it most likely is long gone by now. We only have one pawn shop within a reasonable distance, and Craigs List showed nothing.

I have made it "general knowledge" that if the pen reappeared, there would be no questions asked.

Net-net, the pen is not the important issue. Thanks for the council.

D

DocStram

You're right D. Dad just turned 80. You don't want the old guy worrying about his kid being arrested for putting the kabosh on some jerk, right? It's just not worth it. The thief is going to get what he has coming to him ... one way or the other.

fyrcaptn

sheesh

Its hard to figure people. Theft is a way of life to some people and they think little of taking something that isn't theirs, no matter who it belongs to. Family, friends, whomever...
How sad to think that a trusted person would take something from you. especially something of such value - real value and/or personal attachment
Hopefully you can take comfort knowing that someone will indeed, reap what they have sown.
My aunt (married to mother's only brother) loved a Madonna statue (not the singer lol) my mother had in the living room. Everytime she came from Florida to NC she would comment on it, touch it, stare at it. She asked mother every time where it came from, and as always mother didn't know. My dad's dad who passed years ago had given it to her.
One day mother asked us all if we had any idea where the Madonna was, assuming one of us kids had dropped it or something. No ideas...
A call to Florida to my cousin revealed that her mother loved the statue mother had finally given her mother. Her mother was so happy, and had always said it was a matter of time til my mother gave in and let her have it~
Mother and daddy made a trip to Florida, some 10 hours away. Mother walked in the house, took the Madonna from their living room, walked out and got in the car and came home. Not so much as a 'by your leave'...
Never heard a word about the statue from them again.
Some people and their warped sense of entitlement. Go figure

Top Bottom