Some Saturday Afternoon . . .

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cozee

Anyone in or near the Champaign-Urbana IL area want to get together for a Saturday afternoon of all things pen turning? Speak up here and we will see what we can put together. For any of you "old timers" who read this, there is a good chance there will be poppers!!! :tongue:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

thewishman

I wish you and I lived closer! I remember those poppers - they were almost as good as the knowledge shared over the first couple of years.

You are a rockstar! When you asked about a penturners get together 11 years ago, you decided that since there was none in the midwest, you would start one. You surely changed the course of my life. I am doing pens as my full-time business and still enjoy the relationships I formed on that cold Saturday in Urbana.

Thank you, Greg!

cozee

I wish you and I lived closer! I remember those poppers - they were almost as good as the knowledge shared over the first couple of years.

You are a rockstar! When you asked about a penturners get together 11 years ago, you decided that since there was none in the midwest, you would start one. You surely changed the course of my life. I am doing pens as my full-time business and still enjoy the relationships I formed on that cold Saturday in Urbana.

Thank you, Greg!

LOL!! Not to sure about the rock star bit. I simply wanted to get together in person with those who held the same passion and share. I didn't feel like going to Utah or wherever the AAW symposium was at that time, especially when pens were still getting snubbed in the turning world, I figured heck, if I put it together, they just might come. Look at it now! I enjoy the fact it has spawned other "gatherings" in various regions. And yes, I too still enjoy the friendships that were made, and I include you as one as well. Give Dave Bell a handshake at the MPG for me!!! 11 years ago huh? This wasn't at the first MPG but at one soon following!

Attachments

• CHRIS.jpg
    CHRIS.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:

cozee

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Greg,

We have a club in Chicago that meets every other month.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f381/chicagoland-chapter-april-meeting-153793/

The turn out ranges from 40 - 70. If you decide to set something up - let me know and I can get the word out to our group. I am sure we have some members who would come out.

Mark

Mark, I will definitely do something, just not sure what. Probably late summer, early fall.

Be aware of the dates of Turn on chicago--you don't want to be within 2 weeks, I wouldn't think

cozee

Greg,

We have a club in Chicago that meets every other month.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f381/chicagoland-chapter-april-meeting-153793/

The turn out ranges from 40 - 70. If you decide to set something up - let me know and I can get the word out to our group. I am sure we have some members who would come out.

Mark

Mark, I will definitely do something, just not sure what. Probably late summer, early fall.

Be aware of the dates of Turn on chicago--you don't want to be within 2 weeks, I wouldn't think

Already noted Ed, it is the first weekend in August. I am thinking more late September, early October. Besides, I am not thinking too much more than meeting up in my basement shop. If it turns out more indicate they are intending on coming, it won't be anything I haven't handled before!!! We'll just have to make more poppers!!!! :biggrin:

mg_dreyer

With regard to the message above the AAW now has a few rotations on pens and pen making. I will be doing three rotations in Portland this year for the AAW and was a presenter last year (2016) in Atlanta. It was a blast and have meet a lot of turners. There will also be four rotations of pen making at Turn On! Chicago.

cozee

With regard to the message above the AAW now has a few rotations on pens and pen making. I will be doing three rotations in Portland this year for the AAW and was a presenter last year (2016) in Atlanta. It was a blast and have meet a lot of turners. There will also be four rotations of pen making at Turn On! Chicago.

I applaud the AAW for recognizing pen turning as they do today. However, back when I started the original Midwest Penturning Gathering, the AAW was only giving pen turning not much more than hour, if that. It was held in larger, metropolitian areas, far from my little cornfield rown in East Central IL. I started the MPG for the common pen turner, the hobbiest, the backyard shop artist. Apparently I did something right and happy that it continues on today! Out of pocket expenses for me to host the first four MPGs was less than what it would take to travel to and attend a symposium.

Last edited:

thewishman

Thank you, Greg!

LOL!! Not to sure about the rock star bit. I simply wanted to get together in person with those who held the same passion and share. I didn't feel like going to Utah or wherever the AAW symposium was at that time, especially when pens were still getting snubbed in the turning world, I figured heck, if I put it together, they just might come. Look at it now! I enjoy the fact it has spawned other "gatherings" in various regions. And yes, I too still enjoy the friendships that were made, and I include you as one as well. Give Dave Bell a handshake at the MPG for me!!! 11 years ago huh? This wasn't at the first MPG but at one soon following!

That was the first one! I was demo-ing the plexiglas finish and was using Ed's lathe. That was a great day with lots of new friends.

Top Bottom