Some neat turned boxes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pete00

i must lead a shelted life , ive never seen round boxs like that.
CAnt imagin how he did the patterns inside. The prices are interesting , but then again were all selling something nobody needs we just need to convince them they want it. Honey i just bought a $3,000 salad bowl.
..pete

Originally posted by penhead
<br />Very interesting...think he sells many/any of those..?

You bet he does!

Del Mano is THE gallery to exhibit your work

Originally posted by pete00
<br />i must lead a shelted life , ive never seen round boxs like that.

Of course my boxes wouldn't command figures like that, but here is one I made about a year ago
photo19.jpg

Khaya, Ebony, 22kt gold leaf

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Ron,

First, that is a GREAT box. About 3 inches high??? And the last pic (without the center detail) is the bottom of the box???

All NICE features.

Now, about pricing. As your new designated sales agent, let me recommend a good alias, maybe Renaldo (no last name, those are "out" these days). You need a biography-perhaps you have spent your life on a deserted island, made your own lathe from tree bark and tools from coconut shells. NOW, we can start to price your work!!!

Just a couple hints-no charge.[:D][:D][:D]

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
I would love to see one of those boxes up close...really curious about the media and how he did the inside, is that painted on and then protected somehow..?..or am I missing the obvious of how.?

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
I think I saw that movie...you worked for FedEx [:D]

Originally posted by ed4copies
<br />Ron,

First, that is a GREAT box. About 3 inches high??? And the last pic (without the center detail) is the bottom of the box???

All NICE features.

Now, about pricing. As your new designated sales agent, let me recommend a good alias, maybe Renaldo (no last name, those are "out" these days). You need a biography-perhaps you have spent your life on a deserted island, made your own lathe from tree bark and tools from coconut shells. NOW, we can start to price your work!!!

Just a couple hints-no charge.[:D][:D][:D]

woodwish

Ron, personally I am more impressed with yours. Very nice! Like the gold leaf. I used some years ago on a flat surface and that was a real challenge, outstanding job to use it on surfaces like that. I think I will go back out to the shop to make another ornament or two, at least I understand how to do those [;)]

pete00

A WOODTURNER'S ROSE ENGINE by Geoff O'Loughlin

http://home.vicnet.net.au/~pwguild/

go to site click on search, in topics you'll see rose engine
some interesting instructions on turning all kinds of things as well

pete

Dario

There was a modern masters feature about the Rose cutter a while back and if memory serves me right...there are only 3 of it in existence. The one they featured is probably the one shown/pictured above. I hope it survived the Kathrina flood in Lousianna since it is located there.

A mechanical genius created it....and is a sight to see in action.

Fred in NC

Great ornamental turning work ! Definitely looks to me that these boxes were done with a Rose Engine.

One of my projects for next year is the Rose Engine. Hopefully I will be able to have the design and prototype complete by the Spring. If there is enough interest from the turning community, I might offer a kit of parts to build it.

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
A whole new world I didn't even know existed...looks so very interesting...[:)][:p]

Reminds me of that spriralgraph game my daughter use to have years ago..

Fred, keep this up and I will have to just make out a monthly allotment[:p]

Originally posted by Fred in NC
<br />Great ornamental turning work ! Definitely looks to me that these boxes were done with a Rose Engine.

One of my projects for next year is the Rose Engine. Hopefully I will be able to have the design and prototype complete by the Spring. If there is enough interest from the turning community, I might offer a kit of parts to build it.

dubdrvrkev

A guy in our club has one that he restored. He said the company that made it went out of business in like 1920 IIRC. The thing is massive, but he is designing something that will fit on modern lathes that will alow for rose type cutting.

Dario

Originally posted by Fred in NC
<br />Great ornamental turning work ! Definitely looks to me that these boxes were done with a Rose Engine.

Fred,

If it goes through let me know. I know a person who is interested on one...and may be willing to pay big bucks for it [;)]

Thanks for the thumbs up Folks

Originally posted by pete00
<br />
how'd you get the gold leaf on.
pete

Gold Leaf come in books and glue (sizing) is used to stick it on
http://www.jerrysartarama.com/art-supply/catalogs/0056819000000
http://www.jerrysartarama.com/art-supply/catalogs/0040262000000

Originally posted by ed4copies
<br />

All NICE features.

Thanks Ed, you are right, the box is 3" tall. The bottom detail is the inside of the lid. I gave this box to my wife for our 19th Anniversary.

Now if you want to be my sales agent and can get prices for each piece with 4 digits on the correct side of the decimal point, I'd be happy to give you the standard 40% commission.

Originally posted by Efletche
<br />Now that is something I would like to see an article on how to do!
Originally posted by woodwish
<br />I think I will go back out to the shop to make another ornament or two, at least I understand how to do those [;)]

If you are looking for a how-to on making boxes on a standard lathe. There are two really good books out there, one by Chris Stott and the other by Richard Raffin.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I'll need some promo pics-How do you look in fig leaves?
Can you grow your fingernails long enough to look like turning tools?

Originally posted by Thumbs
<br />I'm not sure I like where Ed and Ron appear to be going here![:0][:p][}:)]

You know. . . I was wondering the same thing.

I mean how often does a guy want to see another guy in a fig leaf?

[:D][:D][}:)]

Fred in NC

Bruce, that is my intention:

1. It will be cheaper
2. Parts will be available
3. Easier to add to.

Some parts are obviously not readily available, for example, the indexing plate and adaptor for whatever chuck the user already has.

I am trying to keep it affordable as usual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom