So you think your dentist is tough!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rick P

I have freinds off grid, 150 air miles off grid! I go back to see them every couple of years and they make trips out about every 3. Last winter Mark was in a air cast on his leg for 2 months waiting for a weather window to fly out! They had to re break the leg and he had NO pain killers while he was in the bush.

Just got word that his wife had to put in a secound temp filling for him this am......no pain meds.......head lamp to see the tooth and the contents of a tool box to clear out the rotten material! I have had to have the wife stitch me up, that wasn't so bad. It damn near killed me when I had to file down a little sharp spot on a tooth I broke in the bush! And It only took me 4 days to get out!

Mark is hoping for a flight window the first of the year!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Travel into some areas of Alaska must be experienced. To be stranded at the airport for days at a time in winter is rather normal. When you say you came over on the big plane you mean the 10 seater. When someone asks,"How was the flight over?" and you answer,"We took the float plane." They know that conditions were bad and the clouds were low. You can tell the tourist because they are the ones that freak out when the pilot finishes his briefing with," We might not make it." when he means that the weather is bad and we may have to turn back.

bitshird

It's rather odd that 2 last frontiers (where people can get off the grid) one is the netherworld areas of Alaska, and some parts of Siberia, I guess they breed better tougher less whiny people in those regions. And my hat is off to them. cause the got some HUGE Brass ones.

Rick_G

Things we don't think about when we decide to live off grid. Makes me glad I'm only about 1/2 hr from a hospital. We have a small local one about 10 minutes away but other than a few stitches I wouldn't want them doing much to me. But at least they got painkillers.

BlackPearl

I guess they breed better tougher less whiny people in those regions.

I bet they whine and complain a LOT but they are so far away no one can hear them.

I reenacted a 1860 Homesteader here in Dallas for three years. It was real fun to be in the shadow of sky scrapers and plowing a field with a team of Oxen. Making my own nails and cutting my own lumber with a one or two man saw when a building needed to be built or repaired. When the work was done and the day was over driving home got to be a culture shock. Always had to change out of my shirt and hat in the office before I left to drive home did not want to see a kid that I had spent time with on the way home.

For three years I never missed a day for sickness, and I put in 6, 12 to 14 hour days a week. Worked well below minimum wage on that job but it could be fun often.

Lenny

Rick,
Next time I'm sitting in my Dr. office waiting 45 mins. I will think of you and your fellow wilderness neighbors and just be thankfull for what we sometimes just take for granted! :)

Rick P

Im on the road system Lenny. The stitches my wife ( a RN) and the broken tooth I filed down were on hunts.
Mark and his wife are way back and yes ya can here them clank from 100 feet away........on his wife! Keep in mind last year when he busted his leg Lori had to do the last of the winter work, harvest a moose and run the trap line with very little help.

Top Bottom