So is it wrong to be buying big name vintage pens :)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Carl Fisher

I think I'm developing a bit of a problem. I've been ebay hunting for vintage FPs. My latest acquisition is a nice Esterbrook desktop FB with base and long rear stem.

I told Chrissy that it was research for pen designs :biggrin:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Carl Fisher

Does it write any better than the ones you make? Is it one of a kind? If both of those are NO, then YES. :rolleyes:

LOL. I figure since I'm making pens with Esterbrook nibs that I might as well own an Esterbrook pen for...ummm...research or something :)

Actually I am learning a lot from some of the pen designs out there that I think will translate well into my custom lineup. Besides this particular pen and base cost me less than buying the nib outright in this case.

I'm finding that I just love FPs in general

I think I'm developing a bit of a problem. I've been ebay hunting for vintage FPs. My latest acquisition is a nice Esterbrook desktop FB with base and long rear stem.

I think it is a natural progression of pen making to start collecting the vintage stuff. I have quite the collection myself. even have some I am willing to part with.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

Personal Opinion...I don't see a thing wrong about collecting vintage pens and also making custom pens to sell.

tim self

A few years ago, a customer wanted a copperhead I had so bad. His wife told him to wait. Later, after I'd sold it to her for his Christmas present, I learned she made him sell some of his vintage in exchange. Heartbroken, I told him I'd have traded him outright for some of them.

Scott

I would say that buying a few vintage pens is like a gateway drug, but we all know that the real gateway drug is penturning! It's really too late for all of us! BTW, I have my own little addiction with Italian celluloid and, oddly enough, Vanishing Piont LE's. Oh well!

Scott.

Carl Fisher

Glad I'm not alone. I have a nice built in support group here at IAP :)

I really like this new Esterbrook Desk Pen and 8-ball base. When Jonathon told me that the pens we make would be considered huge by collectors, I'm starting to understand that feeling. But in this particular pen I've already picked up 2 or 3 good design changes and new ideas for kitless stuff.

So far it's just my Pilot and my Esterbrook but I'm eyeing about a dozen others on ebay at any given time.

mmyshrall

Glad I'm not alone. I have a nice built in support group here at IAP :)

I really like this new Esterbrook Desk Pen and 8-ball base. When Jonathon told me that the pens we make would be considered huge by collectors, I'm starting to understand that feeling. But in this particular pen I've already picked up 2 or 3 good design changes and new ideas for kitless stuff.

So far it's just my Pilot and my Esterbrook but I'm eyeing about a dozen others on ebay at any given time.

Carl,

I developed a taste for Waterman, Parker and Sheaffer after a visit to a number of antique stores about 6 months back. My prize pen to date? A pre-1930 Waterman #52V with a flex nib. I still need to replace the sac, but hey, what do you expect for a $10.00 find? In my neck of the woods, I find that the antique stores do not have a lot of expertise with fountain pens and they are available very reasonably... much to the dismay of SWMBO. :biggrin:

Michael

Last edited:

Brooks803

I've got my eye on a Pelikan as well. Love their style.

Here are my most recent acquisitions:

1950-60's Sheaffer Touchdown:

1930's Waterman Patricia Ink Vue. This one needs a new sac.:

1910's Waterman 52. This one needs a little love. It's in great shape, it just needs the clip, lever, and new sac installed. I'll be sending this off and have a pro do the work:

Last edited:

jyreene

I've got my eye on a Pelikan as well. Love their style. Here are my most recent acquisitions: 1950-60's Sheaffer Touchdown: http://s1136.photobucket.com/user/Brooks803/media/Random Stuff/DSC04858602x700_zps7a00fc4f.jpg.html http://s1136.photobucket.com/user/Brooks803/media/Random Stuff/DSC04860655x700_zps4a9dc3a2.jpg.html 1930's Waterman Patricia Ink Vue. This one needs a new sac.: http://s1136.photobucket.com/user/Brooks803/media/Random Stuff/DSC04862633x700_zpse170e597.jpg.html http://s1136.photobucket.com/user/Brooks803/media/Random Stuff/DSC04863610x700_zpse7178902.jpg.html 1910's Waterman 52. This one needs a little love. It's in great shape, it just needs the clip, lever, and new sac installed. I'll be sending this off and have a pro do the work: http://s1136.photobucket.com/user/Brooks803/media/Random Stuff/_57_zps14adc795.jpg.html

What a coincidence. Those are going to be my new additions too. Also I'm coming over to steal them.

Carl Fisher

Some shots of the new acquisition :)

Attachments

• IMG_8771_lzn.jpg
    IMG_8771_lzn.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_8773_lzn.jpg
    IMG_8773_lzn.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_8766_lzn.jpg
    IMG_8766_lzn.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 111

mmyshrall

Some shots of the new acquisition :)

While I don't usually like desktop pens, there is something about the base I like. If you ever get tired of it, let me know; I would be happy to give it a test drive on my desk... just so you can have a second opinion, of course. :biggrin:

Michael

OLDMAN5050

Passed Away May 15, 2019
In Memoriam
vintage pen

A few years ago, a customer wanted a copperhead I had so bad. His wife told him to wait. Later, after I'd sold it to her for his Christmas present, I learned she made him sell some of his vintage in exchange. Heartbroken, I told him I'd have traded him outright for some of them.

My wife doesn't make me do anything,,:biggrin: That fellow must have been the #1 henpecked man in the world.
I have a vintage Mont Blanc FP and would not for any price ( almost) part with it..

Last edited:

MikeinSC

I love, love, looove my Esterbrooks. They write as well as my Pilot Metropolitan. I'm now always on the hunt for them.

Top Bottom