So why am I banned?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

workinforwood

I was asked by Ed many times to post in his area and post about anything I want. Now I try to create a new post and every time a message comes up that I am banned from creating posts in this area of the forum. What's the problem, what did I do to **** someone off this time?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alphageek

Former Moderator
As far as I know Jeff, absolutely no one is banned from posting to any area that they can get to on the forum. I suggest trying a simple post first (sometime long text to titles or special characters can have weird effects and err messages). If it still doesn't work, then Jeff will want details about the exact post and where so he can see what's up with the software.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
You're not banned from anything.

Please email me a screen shot of the error message. What I am willing to bet you are seeing is the "Forbidden" message, which is a result of our firewall blocking postings which contain certain special characters or sequences of characters.

In 2012 we were the victims of an SQL injection attack. All systems which are backended by an SQL database and take user input are vulnerable to this type of attack. I didn't feel that the forum software was adequately protecting us, so I hired a security consultant to put another alligator moat around the site. This has worked extremely well, but it does have the consequence of occasionally blocking legitimate posts.

My suggestion is to minimize the use of special characters in the body of the post, and don't use any in the thread title. If you eliminate those characters and still can't post, I will check the logs to see exactly what firewall rule was violated and try to refine the ruleset to allow the post.

My apologies, and I'm sorry that rather think it was a technical problem, that you assumed we'd taken some adverse action against you.

workinforwood

Ok, I will try again later when I have more time and if it happens I will screenshot it. I am using my iPad. I also am sorry to assume I was banned, but you know our history so can also understand why I would make assumptions like this. :wink:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
As you know, I am inclined toward !!! and an occassional ((())))).

When you hit the right combination, you get 'FORBIDDEN".

Dump the punctuation and it goes through ok.

Thanks to both Jeff and Dean for immediately providing an explanation.

Ed

workinforwood

I still can't do it. Simple short posting and attach photo submit, like always

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 332

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Is it possible that your image is too large?

What I see on your post SHOULD work (my experience, NOT any KNOWLEDGE---Jeff will provide much better information, I am sure).

healeydays

The evil 403 error. It doesn't mean that you specifically are banned (as you were able to post this note to the forum), it means the website couldn't figure outr what to do and that is it's safety protocol and catchall message it sends out. It could have something to do with your internet provider, the Ipad you're using, or a problem with the website.

Ok, now I'm gonna speak some Computer Geek. Bottom line is let Jeff and his web guys take a look at the problem. I have seen 403 errors take weeks to figure out by the most seasoned web professionals.

Mike B

The Web server (running the Web site) thinks that the HTTP data stream sent by the client (e.g. your Web browser or our CheckUpDown robot) was correct, but access to the resource identified by the URL is forbidden for some reason.

This indicates a fundamental access problem, which may be difficult to resolve because the HTTP protocol allows the Web server to give this response without providing any reason at all. So the 403 error is equivalent to a blanket 'NO' by the Web server - with no further discussion allowed.

By far the most common reason for this error is that directory browsing is forbidden for the Web site. Most Web sites want you to navigate using the URLs in the Web pages for that site. They do not often allow you to browse the file directory structure of the site. For example try the following URL (then hit the 'Back' button in your browser to return to this page):

Last edited:

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
That's ModSec blocking you for some reason. It happens to me from time to time as well.

I'll get it fixed. Stand by.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
I still can't do it. Simple short posting and attach photo submit, like always

It sounds far-fetched, but it has happened that a random chunk of an image file has been the same as a virus signature. Mod security looks at the entire data stream coming from the client and if there is a match, it blocks.

Can you post without the photo? That would at least point to the photo as the culprit.

wyone

Well computers are wonderful things.. when they work perfectly.. but pretty aggravating when they don't :)

I look at the tech we have today and am amazed at where we were not so long ago. Been cleaning and purging, and found floppy disks, REAL encyclopedias, pretty amazing when you think about it. Never would I have thought that by now I would be able to chat with anyone from anywhere as long as they had a computer and internet connection

Top Bottom