So, what's a dual spindel boring machine used for?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DocStram

Bibb Tool and Cutter is a business located about 4 miles from my house. They always advertise in ebay. Not having to pay for shipping, I sometimes find good deals on router bits and stuff.

But, now I see they have a really cool looking machine called a Dual Spindle Boring Machine. It looks like a real piece of artillery. If it looks like it's going to go real cheap, I might just bid on it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=270281251232

One little problem .... what's a Dual Spindle Boring Machine used for? And, if it does go dirt cheap ... what could I convert it into?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kirkfranks

It is for drilling dowel holes (for edge joining boards).

What can you convert it to??? perhaps make a tool to drill two pen blanks at one time side by side. Not really worth the effort.

For the current price it would be worth the price for the motor alone...
If you don't want the rest the scrap iron would probably net you back some of the purchase price.

DocStram

Quit drinking while you shop online!!! :drink::party::beer::giggle:

So, what you're saying is that the Dual Spindle Boring Machine isn't some new fangled piece of dental equipment? Are you certain it's not used for root canals? I could have sworn I once saw one in a dentist's office. :eek:

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
So, what you're saying is that the Dual Spindle Boring Machine isn't some new fangled piece of dental equipment? Are you certain it's not used for root canals? I could have sworn I once saw one in a dentist's office. :eek:

I think you're right. My dentist keeps one out in the waiting room to keep
the children quiet.. :biggrin:

Chasper

I think that most chair makers have quit using their dual spindle boring machines and replaced them with double end tendoning machines. Dual boring gets the holes in proper relationship to each other, but if you aren't doing it on both ends of a cross piece or on two legs at the same time, you still have an alignment issue.

workinforwood

We had one at the cabinet shop I used to work at. We used it for boring Blum hinges. One spindle drilled out the large center hole, and the other bored both small holes all three holes drilled at the same time using only 2 spindles. See, the two smaller bits where connected with a gear box to the second spindle. You can also, like stated above attach a longer gear box and drill multiple even spaced holes, like 12 holes at a time off just one spindle for shelving pegs. No need to pull down on anything. You set the depth , line the wood to the fence and push the big green button. And that was only a $3000 dual spindle borer.

DocStram

This has been really interesting reading. Thanks to everybody for explaining what it does. Now, if y'all could just give me some creative ideas for adapting it to woodturning.

DocStram

Does that mean you understood what Gerry and Jeff said?? :eek::confused::confused:

Why, yes I do! Actually, I happen to be a pretty smart guy (more or less ... wifey would say "less"). Perhaps I can explain it to you in an abbreviated description ...... quite simply .... it's for drilling 12 pen blanks at a time! Right? :confused::confused::biggrin::biggrin:

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Why, yes I do! Actually, I happen to be a pretty smart guy (more or less ... wifey would say "less"). Perhaps I can explain it to you in an abbreviated description ...... quite simply .... it's for drilling 12 pen blanks at a time! Right? :confused::confused::biggrin::biggrin:

Thanks, Al, I understand now. This guy down the road has a lathe that I can turn 12 pens at a time on. Buy the dual thingy and send it to me, we'll be rich!!!!! :rolleyes:

Top Bottom