small limb and schrub chipper - electric

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Does anyone here have experience with using a light duty electric chipper or chipper/shredder. None of the limbs will be likely to exceed an inch and a half and most will be around 3/8th in. or so to 1 in.

If you have or have had one of those tell me how well it worked and if known how long it lasted or if you still have it how long you've been using it. It would be used to deal with about 10 or so bushes, small trees and shrubs each year mostly one at a time. The first year would be heavier use than subsequent years.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

frank123

"Light duty" means light duty on the HF one I'm familiar with.

Even an inch sized limb jammed it up easily unless cut into very short sections.

IMO, better to spend the extra and buy something more substantial, or just rent a heavy duty one.

I'm talking only about that cheap HF one I'm familiar with, YMMV and other brands may be better or worse.

Ed McDonnell

I tried one about 20 years ago. Electric chipper shredders are toys in my opinion. Forget about using an extension cord with it unless you spend the big bucks for a 10 gauge cord. Even with a good cord or plugged directly into the house exterior outlet it blew the circuit anytime I put a branch, too many leaves at once or anything challenging in it.

It was also constantly clogging up (probably because I got tired of feeding it one leaf at a time). Major pain in the backside to clear the clog.

Complete waste of money. I gave it away and bought a gas powered one. No comparison at at. It actually chipped and shredded. The electric unit was more of a tickler / folder than a chipper / shredder.

Ed

sbwertz

I have this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Joe-Chipper-C...d=1409434019&sr=1-2&keywords=chipper+shredder

It did a really good job. I got a discount on having my huge Chinese elm tree pruned and shaped because I said they didn't have to haul off the trimmings. (It had to be trimmed because the branches were too heavy on the ends and were breaking every time we had a wind storm.) It is a 40' tall, 60' wide tree and there was a HUGE pile of trimmings.

I ran them all through the Sun Joe shredder over about a week's time and used the chips for mulch. The blade is reversible and can be sharpened. After doing all that plus some roses and the Mexican Birds of Paradise, I had to flip over the blade to get a new sharp edge, and it worked like new. When this side gets dull, I will sharpen it on the same grinder I use to sharpen my turning tools. You can also buy replacement blades for ten dollars.

I used it with a 50' twelve gauge extension cord with no problems. We just spread a small tarp and sat it on the tarp. Then we moved the shredder and gathered up the tarp full of mulch.

Sharon

Last edited:

rblakemore

I tried one several years ago and was really disappointed with it.
It is too easy to go big. If you do then either the branches jam or the motor burns out. I am considering a second and be more disciplined, it will help with clean up. I will look at Sharon's recommendation.
I really plan to get a larger gas operated chipper/mulcher.

sbwertz

It is too easy to go big. If you do then either the branches jam or the motor burns out. I am considering a second and be more disciplined, it will help with clean up. I will look at Sharon's recommendation.

I had a big gas operated chipper mulcher, but neither my husband or myself can pull a recoil starter any more. I gave it to my brother, who uses it to maintain his little orchard. The little electric has been very successful for us.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

I had a big gas operated chipper mulcher, but neither my husband or myself can pull a recoil starter any more. I gave it to my brother, who uses it to maintain his little orchard. The little electric has been very successful for us.
Change that to read wife or myself and you have it...Gas in out.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
I used to chip with a small gas powered one which too clogged easily. Now pay about $30 to the county once a year to pick up a pile - any size as long as branches are not larger than 4" in diameter and no longer than 3 feet. A whole lot easier than chipping.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I used to chip with a small gas powered one which too clogged easily. Now pay about $30 to the county once a year to pick up a pile - any size as long as branches are not larger than 4" in diameter and no longer than 3 feet. A whole lot easier than chipping.
I did that too with the city until the city decided they weren't going to do that.

Top Bottom