Sleep Apnea

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

Hi Folks:

I am trying to help my younger brother out. He is 42 and has not gotten used to wearing his cpap machine (close to a year using it). Does anyone have any experience with the mouth-piece devices?

Thank you.

Tony

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

I have been using CPAP for 24 years. . I do not use a full face mask. . The small mask that I use has what they call "nasal pillows" which stream the air directly into the nostrils. . There are elastic straps going over the top of my head and around the base of my skull which have Velcro adjustments. . The airflow ramps up to the prescribed value over about half and hour. . I can give you the manufacturer name if you wish.

You still have to get used to the air flow and having warmed air is less troublesome. . The machine has a water reservoir with a heater underneath. I can get you the manufacturer name if you wish. This is only my second machine and I got it about 5 yrs ago. The first machine which I used for 19 years was a real dinosaur of a thing ... probably one of the first on the market and quite noisy/intrusive. . My present machine is orders of magnitude better.

I did try the dental appliance but found it even worse than my dinosaur CPAP machine. . The appliance made and fitted by a sleep-specializing dental practitioner in conjunction with a sleep-specializing psychiatrist, both of whom where "bears" do deal with. . I had to go through a month-long adjustment period ... maybe longer. . Every night or two when first using it, I had to adjust it to bring my lower jaw just microscopically (it seemed) further forward relative to the upper jaw. . During that adjustment period, sleep was far from normal and the discomfort in my mouth was terrible. . And then for 8 or 10 hours the next day, the strained feeling in my jaw muscles lingered. . I hated it and tossed it after 8 months or so ... never got used to it. . It was at least as expensive as purchasing the machine.

With my original dinosaur CPAP I had to get a sleeping pill prescription (Zopiclone 7.5 mg each night) to help overcome the noise distraction and airflow discomfort. . With the new machine, I have been gradually reducing the use of Zopiclone and am now at 3.5 mg.

Tony, I would recommend the machine I have and the nasal pillows instead of full mask (tried several designs, none of which suited the architecture of my face).... just my opinion FWIW.

I can get a full 8 hours sleep, or more, if I want, now ... except for one mid-sleep trip to the loo !

Last edited:

Rockytime

I agree with magpens. I have used a cpap for years. The dental devise is useless. I also use the nasal pillows. Hardly know I'm wearing them.

CREID

TonyL, I have used a CPAP for like 10 years, I hated it when I started. I was told by the person setting it up, the mask was the way to go. After 2 years I asked my doctor if I could try the nasal pillows. I love my CPAP now and wouldn't even think of trying to sleep without it.

TonyL

Thank you. This is very good information. I don't know which won he has. It looks somewhat smaller than my friends. I would look into the nasal pillow. Thanks again!

tomas

I've used one for 25 years. The key to it is to get a good seal and to learn to keep your mouth closed. He might try using an old neck tie going from under his chin over the top of his head.

It is definitely worth the time and hassle to get used to it.

Good Luck,

Tomas

CREID

I've used one for 25 years. The key to it is to get a good seal and to learn to keep your mouth closed. He might try using an old neck tie going from under his chin over the top of his head.

It is definitely worth the time and hassle to get used to it.

Good Luck,

Tomas
The CPAP supplier should have elastic chin straps.

TonyL

great..and thank you. which make and model of nasal pillows; he is a mouth breather, but will have to adjust. thank you.

WriteON

The proper dental appliance can work well. Problem is finding a competent professional Dentist. Most turn it into a major Pr$ject.

doug57

Tony, I use the Philips Respironics Nuance Pro nasal pillow. It's so comfortable, there are times I've woken up and almost forgot that it's on.

Doug

Top Bottom