Sitting or standing?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wyone

I just recently bought a used jet 1014 mini lathe and trying to get a work area set up for it. I have noticed some talking about a comfortable stool for turning. I have never tried actually sitting down while turning, well on the shopsmith that was not really possible, but thinking it might work with the mini lathe.

Any thoughts?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kovalcik

With small items like pens, you can get away with sitting. But if you plan on larger items, it is better to use your whole body while turning, which requires standing. You can turn just using your arms but you will get tired sooner and it is harder to keep your lines and curves smooth without a full range of motion. (My teacher called it dancing with the lathe.)

Of course some people have to sit and do great work. But if you are able, keep the option of standing while working when you set up your work area.

Last edited:

Kenny Durrant

I use a mini lathe and I don't think I could turn pens or anything sitting down. I don't move around much but I do move enough to where standing would be more comfortable. But like they say "To each his own".

ttpenman

I saw at a turners show last year, a steel stand for using the lathe sitting down. The difference was that you tilted the lathe towards you when you turned. Looked pretty cool. Not sure how I would like it but I wish I could try it and see. Too much $$ to try it but worth it if it works well. Person turning at the show seemed to be doing OK.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

SteveG

I have serious back problems and associated fatigue. I could not turn pens if I had to stand up to do it. My turning area is set up with a mini and a midi lathe set up on low benches, and everything I need for the entire process arranged to be in reach from a sitting position. The key for all this to work is that I had repurposed a desk chair (arms and back removed) for my turning chair. The adjustable height and roll around wheels are key to happy pen turning. I have since replaced the office chair with a stool (typically found in doctor's exam rooms), which has the rolling and height adjustment. This works great for pens, but I expect maybe not be so good for larger items.

Proud2Turn

Be Comfortable

My advice would be to do what feels natural and most comfortable to you, while getting the results you want at the lathe. If you are comfortable and feel at ease at the lathe (sitting, standing, doing a jig) it will show in your work. Will certainly show in your work if you don't feel comfortable.

For me, that position is standing. It can get to my feet and back at times, but it's what works best for me. I say standing, but it's really more like hovering over the lathe :biggrin:

Try both and see what works for you.

KenV

Mitch

I have degenerative joints and have to sit while turning. I have about 3-5 minutes on my feet and the pain becomes distractive.

I have a big lathe and a jet 1014. Both work from a stool -- one without wheels.

Your tool technique will be different, and and outcomes slower.

I can turn hollow forms and bowls as well as pens and other small things.

Good move getting away from the Shopsmith (have one) as the lathe is not one of the best uses for it.

oneleggimp

Grosse Pointe Park, Michigan 48230 United States o
Turning sitting down

I just recently bought a used jet 1014 mini lathe and trying to get a work area set up for it. I have noticed some talking about a comfortable stool for turning. I have never tried actually sitting down while turning, well on the shopsmith that was not really possible, but thinking it might work with the mini lathe.

Any thoughts?

I am a full-time wheelchair user so turning sitting down is a must for me. I have a mini-lathe so basically I'm just turning Pens, Bottle Stoppers, Seam Rippers, Christmas ornaments, etc. which do not require moving from side to side on my feet. I do find that tools with short handles work better for me when turning sitting down. Pen Turning tools essentially. Good luck!:cool:

wyone

Wow.. such great thoughts and advise from everyone. I really appreciate it. I like my shopsmith, but really do want to get away from it all the time. I bought the Jet 1014 used, at the right price, so I am going to see how I like it for pen turning, and then see if I can find a larger lathe for other things. I have turned a few bowls, but really don't turn spindles or anything, so thinking one of the midi lathes will eventually be what I am looking for. Hoping I can sell the shopsmith for enough to make a dent in the cost of the larger lathe. :) I have rebuilt it pretty much completely, and have accessories for it, so I should be able to recoup some of my costs hopefully.

Top Bottom