The Sipapu

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tomas

The more woodworking I do, the more I appreciate the idea of the Sipapu. (Pronounced: see-pa-poo) The Sipapu comes from the Southwestern Native American pottery makers who purposely design a flaw into their pottery finish. One explanation as to why they do this is that this intentional flaw demonstrates to deity that they do not think they are perfect.

Over the years on just about every project I have attempted, I have had what I used to call design opportunities - often multiples on every project. I used to feel badly about this and was embarrassed to let anyone else see the fruits of my labors. However, understanding the concept of the Sipapu has freed me from all that. Now I proudly display my work and often will respond to a question with a sly smile and say, "Oh, that's just a Sipapu."

Cheers,
Tomas

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ebill

The more woodworking I do, the more I appreciate the idea of the Sipapu. Tomas

- the Japanese have Wabi Sabi. Its similar in that it celebrates imperfections rather than rebuking the creator.

- from Wiki: In traditional Japanese aesthetics, wabi-sabi is a world view centered on the acceptance of transience and imperfection. The aesthetic is sometimes described as one of beauty that is "imperfect, impermanent, and incomplete

- ebill > creator of many things having wabi-sabi built into them

Top Bottom