Silver casting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BeeAMaker

Wasn't sure where to post this so figured Casual conversation was as close to "Off-Topic" as it gets.

Anyways, I am looking for someone that can do silver casting. I want to turn some silver into bars.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
How much silver? and are you sure its silver and not sterling, or coin silver or? Are you wanting large bars or small ones?

Last edited:

BeeAMaker

How much silver? and are you sure its silver and not sterling, or coin silver or? Are you wanting large bars or small ones?

I'll have to find out how much there is, there would just be small bars, just a few ounces each. Long story short, my father passed early this year. He was a coin collector but none of us kids are much into coins. We know selling them as coins we would just get rock bottom price for the coin value (most are half dollars and quarters 90% or better) So instead of selling them we figured we would melt them down and make 4 equal weight bars, one for each child. After I will mill one surface smooth and engrave our fathers name, DOB and DOD on the bar - at least I think that would be easiest instead of trying to make that into the mold. ??

We are more interested in having a memento than getting any monetary value, which really isn't much anyways. This way we don't have to keep a bunch of coins in a box some place.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I can help you with that. I may have an ingot molt that would work or I can even roll them down a bit.
However you could take green File A Wax, design and cnc the wax and I can cast them, use a 10 to one ratio for weight.

Let me add; you will need about 10% extra for the casting over the ingot method.it will be returned with the bars.

Last edited:

BeeAMaker

I can help you with that. I may have an ingot molt that would work or I can even roll them down a bit.
However you could take green File A Wax, design and cnc the wax and I can cast them, use a 10 to one ratio for weight.

Let me add; you will need about 10% extra for the casting over the ingot method.it will be returned with the bars.

That sounds great!

Do you have a link for the Wax? I assume you are talking about lost wax casting? I'm completely new to this so bear with me :)

I'll find out how much coin there is and send you a PM.

Top Bottom