Sierra Pencil (mod by Mudder)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
This is my success with the modified Sierra kit. Mudder's clear and concise instructions, particularly the pictures and precise measurements, allowed a semi-skilled person (that would be me) modify this kit with relative ease. This makes a beautiful pen/pencil set and with the numerous platings will give a customer a lot of choices.

200511854649_SierraPencilMudderFix.jpg

Thanks for the instructions, Mudder!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
M

Mudder

Hey Lou,

Welcome to the Sierra club! Wait, that name is taken………
How about the American Sierra Pencil Creators Association?
Yea that’s it, we’ll call ourselves the A.S.P.C.A.
No, no, no………that one is also taken.

Well buddy, when I do think up a name you’re a charter member because to the best of my knowledge you’re the first person, to recreate the mod and publish a picture since the file was released.

Now tell us, did you have any problems? Did I leave anything out? Was there any particular pitfall in my process that could be improved? I’m looking for input from anybody having a problem. I was thinking of a redo with pictures that are a little better and perhaps elaborating on any area that folks find difficult.

Congratulations Lou, Awesome job!

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Lou
I don't know if its' me or not but the picture looks a little out of focuas.
At closer look I can tell you don't have a pen refill in it( thank GOD you didn't use the stupid the thumbnail feature on this forum)but other details in the PENcil are hard to distinguish)

rtjw

Looks good lou. I havent tried any pencils yet, but if I do, I am going to use the sierra for it. It looks more like a pencil than a pen.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Mudder,

I have not cared for pencils since my problems with some of the cheaper kits. This does look good, and like Lou says offers the possiblity of a very nice set.

I'm convinced, do you still have your "mod file" available for sharing?

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Hopefully the important feature can be seen, even if not professionally photographed--that would be the Schmidt pencil lead holder with lead extended.

The only tricky part of this conversion is to insure that the point of the lead holder extends the correct distance. Some of the platings may leave a small burr or an overly tight space inside the nib. If you follow the instructions and the platings are well done, the point should extend between 0.155" and 0.165". Sneak up on this measurement in order to make sure that the inside shoulder remains to securely hold the lead holder. This fix works like a dream.

I'm not a huge fan of pencils either (you'd be hard pressed to find a pic of a pencil I've made) but this added versatility is great for special requests.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Originally posted by coach
<br />How did you get some Sierras Lou?[:p]
When the Sierra was first introduced, I bought a bunch of them from AS. This was one I had finished as a pen, then modified per Mudder's instructions. BTW, The second group purchase is due in Arizona this week. Cross your fingers and we may all get our kits next week!

M

Mudder

Originally posted by wdcav1952
<br />Mudder,

I have not cared for pencils since my problems with some of the cheaper kits. This does look good, and like Lou says offers the possiblity of a very nice set.

I'm convinced, do you still have your "mod file" available for sharing?

Anyone who wants the file can find it at the Yahoo penturners site or you can download it from this link:

http://www.scottspens.com/kits/Sierra_pencil.pdf

I'm glad that someone besides myself can follow the instructions and get a good result. With all the sierra's due to come down the pipe this might be nice for folks that would like a matched set. One thing to note is that the mod does not relegate it to be a permanent pencil. It was designed to be convertible.( you can replace the pencil mechanism with an ink refill at any time and not notice a difference)

One thing came out of my conversations with Lou that I think is noteworthy. Pay particular attention to the protrusion of the drill on page 8.........
In other words DO NOT DRILL COMPLETELY THROUGH THE NIB! DAMHIKT
The 2.450 dimension creates a step that forms the positive stop for the pencil mechanism. And as lou pointed out, the point of the refill should stick out .155" to .165" from the nib end.

I hope a few more folks will give this a try so we can iron out any kinks....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom