should I complain or not?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I purchased this blank X2: Fiji Pacific Blue 3/4 in. x 3/4 in. x 5 in. Pen Blank from PSI. it is supposed to have an ocean/ sand appearance. after turning, the wood that is supposed to look like sand is all turned away, leaving only blue alumalite. This is a $20 blank...each
I'll not be able to give this to the customer, I'll have to buy 2 new ones. I expect they'll say there's no guarantee. Should I complain?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

VotTak

For that price you should have got excellent blank. In my opinion you should complain.
On another hand... couple years back when I realized that no matter how nice blanks looks on someone's site... you will receive somehow different blanks I decided to do my own stabilizing and casting. This way I was producing something that I wanted and I always knew what to expect from my blank.
Not that I suggest to go my route, but if you buy blanks you want to know which blanks you are buying and how do they look, each of them, and better to see picture from couple sides which will help you to realize what to expect from them.

hcpens

I found, as most of us have found, blanks, whether natural or man-made are like a wrapped gift, you never can be sure of what it is going to be like till you open it up to reveal the inner beauty, or not, of the gift.

SteveJ

This is their guarantee:

100% No-Risk Pen Blank Guarantee

Our Pen Blanks are guaranteed to give 100% satisfaction in every way. If you're not completely satisfied with you pen blank for any reason such as breakage, quality, etc., we will replace it, refund your purchase price, or offer you store credit, as you wish. Simply email a digital photo of the broken or unsatisfactory blank with a note on why you were dissapointed to our customer service department at penblanks@pennstateind.com. Limited to 30 days.

I think I would take them up on it if I were you.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
FOR ME, this would be a tough call.

You saw the blank and you are an experienced penturner, yet you turned the blank, so, we assume you could not tell from the outside that it was going to be a "dud". And now, they certainly cannot sell it if you return it. Yes, they are a large company and can "afford to lose" a blank now and then. But, when I made pens for resale, the "good" pen would sell for $100, and I had about $35 in it ($20 for the blank, $15 for a junior kit)--pretty good margin. So, the "bad" ones I had to sell for $60 or $70 (going rate for a junior in nearly any material), but still making a reasonable profit. In short, I never returned a blank and, except for ones that I "blew up" in turning, I never LOST money on a pen.

As I said at the beginning--this is only my PERSONAL philosophy, you can make a convincing argument for a refund, as well. I understand your "dilemma".

Ed

Last edited:
Ed, my dilemma was more for conversation sake and to see what others expect from a $20 blank. It did look light on the alternate material, I knew that before I cut into it. Disappointed in how much of it was turned away, compared to what was represented. Do you have this type of blank?

Kenny Durrant

Don't complain but call and tell them what happened and how you feel. I would think if the blank as supposed to have certain materials on a finished pen and something turned away then you could've saved money and bought a blank made of one type of material. I see and hear people saying they will replace a blank no matter what and I seen people do it. If a person messes up a blank outside the blank makers control I wouldn't say a word but "They" want you to be happy and buy again. Like I said I would make the call but not raise a big stink and if they didn't make it right in my mind I would think twice about buying another special expensive blank.

Curly

Glen could you have drilled along the edge of the blank and had enough wood left to show to effect when done? No law that says a blank has to be drilled dead centre every time.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Ed, my dilemma was more for conversation sake and to see what others expect from a $20 blank. It did look light on the alternate material, I knew that before I cut into it. Disappointed in how much of it was turned away, compared to what was represented. Do you have this type of blank?

Took me a while to find the blank on PSI's site. Yes, we have hundreds of "worthless wood" type blanks--two of our partners make them.

They are handmade, by guys who MAKE pens, so I would hope they take more care than "mass produced".

Hand made blanks always create a dilemma for me: The person who makes it invests a lot of time in each blank. We picture each one individually, so the turner can see what he will receive. Then, if the turner gets the blank and decides it is not what (s)he expected, it can be returned to us for a full refund, since we can re-list it and sell it as new--no one is "out" anything but shipping.

However, our blanks are also less expensive. So, if we increased the price by 33% (for the sake of illustration), we could refund one of every THREE and still make more money--I doubt we would have to refund anywhere NEAR that. So, it would definitely improve our profit, does that make it the better business strategy?? It runs contrary to our normal approach of selling items at the lowest price we can afford--but will customers perceive it as a "better deal"??

WE are very open to suggestion---this is YOUR store, we just do the shipping!!

Last edited:

CREID

Don't complain. Call them and see what they can do. But remember. NOBODY knows what is inside any blank. They are all different. But if you talk to tech service and explain it, you may be surprised.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
FOR ME, this would be a tough call.

You saw the blank and you are an experienced penturner, yet you turned the blank, so, we assume you could not tell from the outside that it was going to be a "dud". And now, they certainly cannot sell it if you return it. Yes, they are a large company and can "afford to lose" a blank now and then. But, when I made pens for resale, the "good" pen would sell for $100, and I had about $35 in it ($20 for the blank, $15 for a junior kit)--pretty good margin. So, the "bad" ones I had to sell for $60 or $70 (going rate for a junior in nearly any material), but still making a reasonable profit. In short, I never returned a blank and, except for ones that I "blew up" in turning, I never LOST money on a pen.

As I said at the beginning--this is only my PERSONAL philosophy, you can make a convincing argument for a refund, as well. I understand your "dilemma".

Ed
Well Ed, we disagree here...they have chosen to put an unconditional guarantee on their blanks...if the buyer is not completely satisfied for any reason or no reason at all they invite you to get a replacement or your money back. If PSI chooses to do that it's their choice. I've also known you long enough to know you would give them their money back or a replacement also....

Top Bottom