For Shopify users a friendly warning...?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

G'day all,

As the title says, I have had and experience with Shopify that leaves me very disappointed and AU$1,000 in losses, this is what happened.

In middle November 2017, I noticed that someone was trying to hack into my Shopify account, for days I got emails trying to convince me that they were the real thing so I contacted Shopify, reported the hack attempt and requested they support, assistance in preventing the hacker to change anything.

Emails were going backs and forwards with Shopify and some weeks have passed before I was allowed to modify my account details and more importantly introduce a 2 stage login which seems to be the safest way to do things at the moment, this 2 stage system was implemented somewhere between the 14 and 16 December 2017, by then, I had stopped to receive the hackers emails/messages and my Shopify account seemed to be OK, so I thought...!

The Shopify payments are made through 2 main systems, if you pay with Paypal, Paypal will take care of it but if you use a credit card, Shopify has offered to process these transactions where Shopify receives the money and a few days later they transfer it (once weekly or so) to the bank account I had designated for that.

This system had been working OK so, I didn't think in changing anything at this point, I have no control over what people prefer to pay with and while Paypal payments are pretty much available immediately, credit card payments will take a few days to process but that is OK.

I know that sales have been slow since the beginning of the year so, the income from sales was catchy and patchy and we have been struggling a bit but surviving. I have to admit that, I don't follow every web-store payment, I let things work for itself, Paypal payments are normally more visible with notifications, etc., but for the bank transfers, I got used to looking at my Shopify account and "payouts" made into my bank account from the list and dates provided by Shopify and as far as I could see, looking into payouts since the beginning of 2018, they all seemed to be OK however, the money available on my bank account never seemed to be enough.

Last weekend (24/25-03-2018) I decided to print a list of Shopify payouts for that period and went into my bank account to confirm the transfer of these payouts but, what I discover stunned me, the Shopify payments from January 2018 onwards were not in my bank account, further searching did allow me to establish the fact that, the last payout received on my bank account was from the 8/12/2017 all payouts after that were not entered into my account.

It took me awhile to find the problem and when I did, I immediately contacted Shopify about it.
Later that day they confirmed that on the 12 December 2017 someone changed the payout bank details on my account and that, payments have been transferred to the hackers account, a total of just over AU$1,000

The very first think Shopify said was that they were not liable for any losses and that wasn't their fault that someone got my login details and changed the account info, however, and as I mentioned at the beginning of this post, the account details changed exactly when I was still waiting to be provided with the 2 stage login and while I believed that Shopify was taking a good look at any attempts from the hacker, this happened under their watch.

By now its Wednesday and I'm still trying to make some sense of the situation, I manage to get some info from Shopify about the hackers info however, I was only given the last 4 digits of the hackers bank account and no BSB info at all. It was determined that the hacker as in the Victoria area and the account was from the National Australia Bank.

Yesterday (Thursday) we went to see my bank and NAB and explain the situation, in both cases they said they couldn't help so I went to the Police Station to report the theft and internet fraud. The Police officer as most helpful and himself could not believe the situation I got myself into, he proceeds to make 2 reports, one for the internal Police investigation and the other to ACORN (Australian Cybercrime Online Reporting Network).

The one issue the Police officer raised was the fact that, it seemed that Shopify was protecting the identity of the hacker, why only give the last 4 numbers of his bank account..? that is pretty much useless, the full account numbers and BSB are required for the investigation.

So today I contacted Shopify and expressed the Police view on Shopify unwillingness to provide the hackers full details they have on hand and also the fact that Shopify emailed me saying that they can not provide the info I require, only the Court can do that and I have to go through the appropriate requests to initiate the info required.

I'm waiting for Shopify response and I need to contact the Police of Shopify's stand on the hackers true identification, there is, the NAB bank account where my money was stolen to.

Make no confusion, I and everyone else I spoke to know that I will never see the money, hackers use these accounts as a "base" to where the stolen money is deposited into, however, there will be other attached accounts where the money is transferred to and leaving no trace.

Anyone that has had something stolen from them will understand how I/we feel, why were we targeted..? well, it may be the fact that these people look into web-stores that appear on the top of the search pages and while that has been the case with our store, is not because of the volume of sales we produce but instead from the uniqueness of the store nature and the number of people that stop to have a look.

The moral of this story is never say never, one day your turn will come and this applies to more realities I dare to mention, the one thing I suggest you do to get some extra protection from hackers (there is until hackers get on top of this), get yourself a 2 stage login, it basically works by changing your username and password and then create the second login stage but introducing a code that will be sent to a different email/phone, etc, without this code, you won't be able to login.

I will have to wait for any news from the Police and as soon as I do, you guys will be the first ones to know about it.

Take care,
Cheers
George

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

George, I am horrified that this happened to you.

As you said, it can happen to anyone. It's only a matter of time ... and bad luck.

We have come to trust our online institutions, but, big and small, they are being attacked by criminals ... also big and small.

It seems that the developers of the online institutions never realized the vulnerability that is unwittingly built into the systems.

It also seems that, for big or small, there is very little that can be done about it.

I find it shocking that Shopify has not treated you better.

Take care, George .... thinking about you, and your Resifill blanks, and another order !

1080Wayne

Very sorry to hear of your problem George . I can think of a couple of things that should be hacked off the hackers . On a different note , I occasionally get e-mails supposedly from you, with only a link to click on . I never do , but it appears that some hacker has your contact list .

leehljp

Member Liaison
One observation of SOME group of identity thieves is that they are persistent and patient. Shopify and other online social marketing sites have security built around quick or instant theft or fraud - that is when something happens suddenly. They (the companies) act - usually. Identity thieves are aware of this and plan accordingly. Little by little over months and even years. They build up enough information to look legit, but enough that they can leverage that small bit of information to get one more bit of information. Over months the information builds up. Then creating their own "name, location (moved to a second location or second email account) etc, they finesse one more bit. Then they have enough doubt built up on the original account to convince a gullible tech support person that they are the real ID. And at times when the support person pushes them, they back down and wait months to get more information. Believe me, when they only need one bit of information such as an social security number (USA) or passport number or driver's license, - then constant patient googling will reveal this number on some unsecure company or place. On occasion, even a fake number will be entered and accepted.

The point behind this is that some identity thieves are patient and build up clients to defraud by being patient over many months. I have seen this aspect in specifically with Facebook hacking. The pattern is there.

Last edited:

robutacion

Very sorry to hear of your problem George . I can think of a couple of things that should be hacked off the hackers . On a different note , I occasionally get e-mails supposedly from you, with only a link to click on . I never do , but it appears that some hacker has your contact list .

Thanks guys...!

Wayne, my yahoo account has been hacked more than once over the 20 years I have had it, I'm not surprised that you have or still receive emails supposedly from me, these are the hackers using people's email addresses to send links they get a small payment when people open them, it can not be much but if 100.000 people open those links, the amount builds up and that is what they are after.

When I'm told that someone received those sort of emails with my email address as the source, I tell them to delete them and ignore them, sooner or later they go away.

I change the password often but changing the email address at this point would be too much of a problem so I keep it the same and try to prevent hackers to use it as much as I can.

Cheers
George

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
George, if Shopify had your correct email address, they certainly should have confirmed that you wanted your banking info changed!! I certainly do NOT know rules and regs, but bring this to ACORN's attention, see what their stance is.

Good luck!!! Sorry you got robbed!

Terredax

Banned
People also believe places such as this forum are safe, because we are "family" or "friends". Or that ecommerce is safe because the sites are encrypted.
Anything that is put on the internet, is there forever. So, putting your name and location can lead to your actual address, phone number, criminal record, etc., and on to your protected information. Access to the information is there, and providing the initial start point, just makes it easier for the thief. It doesn't take months to years for a decent hacker, and a good hacker can acquire information in minutes. It only takes a target.
Everything that is posted here, or any place, is potentially read by millions of people. There may be "friends" among us, but there are the people that troll the internet to access information for malicious use.
People post on forums and FB about their every move. They post when they will be away on vacation or at dinner. They post details that shouldn't be shared, thinking it's only people they trust that can read it. While you're at dinner/vacation, someone could be helping themselves to your possessions. I've personally seen this happen.
My wife had an account hacked while she was making a purchase, and fortunately she was aware of it and stopped it immediately without any loss or damages. This was an account that the information has to be entered every time, so, it's not stored and accessible just any time.

The advancement of technology, is detrimental to society.
Since the introduction of the internet, this has been happening.
The hackers are just getting better, and they are ahead of technology.

SteveG

George, having recently been through a situation were things that are rightfully mine now reside in the hands of low-life crooks who were aided by other scum (a whole different situation from your loss, but still a loss), I can empathize with your situation. It would be very good for all (good guys) reading your account and suggestion to step up their security to take the steps needed, and assume the attitude that something like this WILL happen to them...because it probably will be attempted. Do not be in the group that reflects back and says, "If only I had...".

Thanks for sharing your experience and the warning that goes with it. You are a true 'Good guy', and should not have to endure this injustice. I hope the best for you in days ahead.

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Hey George,

I always pay for online orders with PayPal. However, if you will recall when I placed my order from you on March 4, 2018 I let you know that I tried three times to pay with paypal and was declined each time. The forth time I used a credit card and the payment went right through. I've made other online orders since then with paypal and have not had any problem. Is it just a coincidence that I was basically "forced" to submit my payment to you using the method that sent the money to the hacker's account? Have any of your other customers experienced anything similar?

Ouch... I'll admit I watch my shopify like a hawk but it's still relatively new so I'm still tweaking it from time to time. Keep in mind they probably didn't hack your shopify account, they likely compromised your computer/phone/etc and you had the same password there as you did elsewhere. Which means, change your passwords EVERYWHERE and triple check that your computer/phone are clean.

2 factor is ALWAYS a good idea when there's money involved. It's a pain in the butt and takes longer but it's not as painful as several months of sales going to someone else.

robutacion

George, if Shopify had your correct email address, they certainly should have confirmed that you wanted your banking info changed!! I certainly do NOT know rules and regs, but bring this to ACORN's attention, see what their stance is.

Good luck!!! Sorry you got robbed!

ACORN is aware of the whole situation and I hope they can do something about it, as much as it hurts I'm aware of how much a "small fish" I am, I'm sure ACORN and Police will have many reports of internet fraud of values well above mine.

Despite all this, the "knot in my gut'" from being robbed isn't going away and somehow I need to catch up, I'm certainly aware and pleased that in recent times the good things happening in mine and Merissa's life far outway the bad things...!:)

Cheers
George

robutacion

Hey George,

I always pay for online orders with PayPal. However, if you will recall when I placed my order from you on March 4, 2018 I let you know that I tried three times to pay with paypal and was declined each time. The forth time I used a credit card and the payment went right through. I've made other online orders since then with paypal and have not had any problem. Is it just a coincidence that I was basically "forced" to submit my payment to you using the method that sent the money to the hacker's account? Have any of your other customers experienced anything similar?

Well, I recall that well and despite all my attempts to find the reason for that, neither Paypal or Shopify reported any issues with payments settings, I do however acknowledge that after I discover this hacking incident, there has been more than one person discussing the possibility of Shopify's "involvement" in all this, that would make sense from the way they are protecting the identity of the hacker.

Will see what happens...!

Cheers
George

randyrls

George; My bank has account settings that will tell me if any settings get changed. It is VERY granular and allows you to select which activities you want to be notified on and how (text/email/both). I don't know if Shopify has such settings, but it is worth it to look.

Thanks for bringing this to the attention of the group. You helped someone avoid this mess in the future.

MikeL

Very disappointing to hear ! I just started a Shopify account. I better look into this double authentication thing. Sorry about this but thanks for informing us as well.

MelaniePayne

Well, I think Shopify is still enough. I mean, it does all the stuff I need, so no need to look for alternatives here. Btw, I also wanted to share something I recently came across. Have you heard of Calcurates? It's a tool that offers some great features, like table rates. I thought it might be worth checking out if you're interested. You can find more information about it here https://calcurates.com/features/table-rates. LMK what you think about it.

Top Bottom