Shop Vac help ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

PenWorks

As I turned on my Jet shop vac Sunday morning, it sounded pretty sick and would not start. Had the sound of the old starters in a car that wouldn't start, a clicking sound and the motor started to get a touch warm. The suction propeller is clear and nothing is blacking the path.
I performed my old car starter trick, and gave it a few raps with my persuader, but nothing.

I included in my nighly prayers to the Lord, that he should fix it, but I guess he had more presing issues than performing a miricle on my vac. I think he is still reading the Christmas, Holiday, Hanika thread or busy making potatoe something. :D

So what do you think it is ?

Thanks in advance for the replies.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred in NC

I have not looked at the motor in a Jet vac, so this is generalized information in simple words:

There are two kinds of motors, some have a capacitor, and some have brushes. Brushes wear out, which is usually evident if you look at them. When capacitors fail, sometimes you can tell by just looking at them, they look like something burned inside.

Jet Tools has a service department that sells replacement parts at decent prices, but always ask about the shipping charges before you complete your order.

Chuck Key

Originally posted by PenWorks
<br />
So what do you think it is ?

I think it is time you head to Woodcarft and grab a FEIN Mini-Turbo currently on close out. Regular $200.00 Close out $139. These are nice. Super power, super quiet and they have a switch setup where if your lathe is plugged into the vac it will come one or turn off when you switch you lathe on or off. Very neat!

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=2059

Chuckie

Edit: Insert better link to item.

Edit again: <b>This model may not have the fancy switch.</b> That feature may only be on the $450 model.

PenWorks

Thanks for the tips, I guess it would be the capacitor.

Got the Fein, allways wanted one but never wanted to pay the price, that was a good deal, plus I had a 15.00 coupon to boot [:)] I have the Fein multipurpose tool and love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom