Shop Security

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

53Jim

Maybe security is the wrong word, but what the heck. How do you keep family members, or visitors, from sneaking into the shop and making you soil yourself when they stand behind you and say HI!!!!???

When I am in the shop, whether turning or scrolling, I am concentrating on the job at hand, not watching the door. I have had several blanks exoplode, and several scroll projects end up in the trash, because of visitors.

It got to the point where I told my family that whoever caused me to screw up a project would pay for the price of the finished project. Sounds harsh, huh??[}:)] Sounds cruel, huh??[}:)]

It took my 18 year old son 2 days before he forked over $20 for a slim line that went KA-BOOM.

The rest of the family figured out I wasn't joking.

Sorry for the length of this question. Just curious what others do with this type of situation.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Daniel

Jim,
The first thing that comes to mind is that most of my tools that require that much concentration, face the door. in other words I cannot be snuck up on. At one time I hade my lathe where my back was to those that would come in. I guess I'm lucky but when they did speak from right behind me I didn't really jump and ruin work. ost of my visitors are also polite enough to wait till I see them or in some other way let me know they are there without it being a jolt.
maybe a sign on the door that says knock before entering. or some other direction for people to announce there prescence in a way that does not startle you. It may one day be more than your work that gets damaged.

btboone

I have a policy that the wife or son loudly closes the door behind them when they enter the shop. I can normally hear it, and it's far enough away that it doesn't startle me. It is a serious matter, and someone can get hurt or at the least, ruin parts.

woodwish

I think shop layout is the best way to prevent this problem also. Most of my tools that require real concentration either face the door or to the side of it so I can see when folks come in. I did that on purpose so I can also see cars coming and going in the driveway, I have two teenage daughters so it pays to keep an eye out on the comings and goings. The only tool I use that has my back to the door is the table saw and it is close enough to the door that I can usually feel when it opens. However, even with all that my family knows not sneak up on me because it can be dangerous.

dubdrvrkev

I had to have a "talk" with the wife about that because she would come out into the shop and say something to me from the door so I would never here it close and ever time I'd jump like a school girl. Now we have the understanding that she walk to the side of me and wait for me to stop cutting before she says anything. So far so good.
The lathe is the only tool that have my back to the door. But I really like the light that I get from it facing the garage door, and with my center island set-up its about the only way it works for me.

terry q

I have a "ships bell" hanging on the wall right inside the door. My family rings that when ever they come into the shop. However when I am wearing hearing protection and have the dust collector running I can't hear it. I am seriously considering a rotating yellow light that comes on whenever the door is opened.

Terry

JimGo

You COULD mount a mirror on the wall so you can see people coming up behind you. I've considered the door-activated-light idea, but since my door is almost always open when I'm in my shop (ask Draken why), that wouldn't work for me.

tipusnr

I lock my door from the inside (hook and eye) when I am doing anything that requires great concentration (it also helps keep the animals out). The wife knows that I will unlock it as soon as I'm done.

Thinking of installing a flip sign as a "gentler" reminder to visitors. Most people understand that the sound of the lathe in action (or the thickness planer) means "proceed with caution..tempermental woodworker in use".[:D]

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Originally posted by tipusnr
<br /><u><b>I lock my door from the inside (hook and eye)</b></u> when I am doing anything that requires great concentration (it also helps keep the animals out). The wife knows that I will unlock it as soon as I'm done.

But will she know if you get injured and be able to get to you if you can't get to the door?
I would rather be bothered by someone than not be able to get help if I needed it.

Czarcastic

Lets forget about the "cost" of the ruined project and think about safety. You're handling sharp tools when you're in your shop, and you can't AFFORD to be startled or distracted when your tools are running!

1) Have a frank talk with your family about safety.
2)You let you family know that EVERYONE wears safety glasses in the shop for any reason, IMMEDIATLEY upon entering the shop. No exceptions, for any reason, even if its "just for a second"!!!
3) Let your family know that if they don't take their own - and your -safety seriously, they are not welcome in the shop.

Once they start thinking about safety, they will realize that startling someone while they are running a power tool is a very bad - and stupid - thing to do.

Rifleman1776

Being retired, it's usually only my wife and me. I do most of my woodworking in the daytime while wife is occupying herself with her interests. Being startled is not the problem. But just interruptions make me nutso, even worse than usual. [:p] But for 'safe' safety, when I built the shop, I decided to use a (heavy duty) extension cord for my tools. A bit inconventient as I have to unplug and replug everytime I go from tool to tool. e.g. bandsaw to drill press, etc. But, when the grandchildren are visiting, if one, or all three should wander into the shop and somehow be not noticed, they cannot turn anything on. Nothing is plugged in and the cord is rolled up on a hose rack.

Fisherman

Jim, I am with you. I found that the best way is to have a light that can be turned on and off from outside the shop. It works great for me and I haven't lost any fingers since installing it. Keep all your fingers. George

woodbutcher

None of my tools are positioned in a way that puts my back to the door. Never really thought of it until now. Could be paranoia I suppose, although the medicine for the voices should have that covered. Well I'm OK and we know it.

Jim [:eek:)]

Draken

I can vouch for JimGo's shop. If anyone sneaks up behind you, they block the doorway and the natural light, so if your in a shadow, someone's there. I must say it was convenient though, everything was within arms reach or one step away, quite a timesaver.

Draken

rtparso

Cell phone. SWMBO is not allowed to come out to the shop without calling first. She knows that my idea of being bad when eather of us are our of town is a big steak big baked potato a glass of adult beverage (2 if I am eating were I am staying) and a GOOD cigar. Some may think I am borring but I can go anywere I want at anytime.

53Jim

Originally posted by JimGo
<br />You COULD mount a mirror on the wall so you can see people coming up behind you.

Beleive it or not, but I actually DO HAVE a mirror mounted on the wall. Unfortunately, my wife bought me a lathe stand for my birthday, and the lathe has been moved, and I'm too d*** lazy to move the mirror.

Something else for me to do tommorrow night.

Thanks for the suggestions everybody.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom