Shop Photo - My 3 year old helping in the shop

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I had a great moment recently when my 3 year old son, Jacob, told me, "Daddy, I want a pen for my desk". This brought a tear to my eye as I brought him into the shop and had him pick out a pen kit (Ellipse Ballpoint - Black Ti & Ti Gold from Exotic Blanks) and then he chose a wood blank (a spalted wood blank). I turned it and finished it and he "helped" me assemble it.

He is now hooked! Whenever I am in the shop, he runs and puts on his safety glasses and watches the sawdust fly! I couldn't resist posting a few pictures of him helping to assemble a cigar pen that was going out to a customer.

These are the types of pictures that would be great to include in the upcoming 13th Annual IAP Birthday Bash, "Shop Life Photo" contest!

Just be sure they haven't been published before (I just eliminated the ones here by posting them before entering them into the cost)...but hey, I'm running the contest so I'm already eliminated from entering!). Be sure to look for the contest to start the first of February...start taking some pictures of that sawdust flying!

Robert and Jacob (who yes, now checks to be sure pen writes smoothly before packaging them up for delivery)

fullsizeoutput_1b7e.jpg

fullsizeoutput_1b80.jpg

fullsizeoutput_1b82.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Fantastic. He is well on his way. Just a note please make him a more stable bench to stand on. You could make it a woodworking project and put his name on it. :)

liljohn1368

I have a 6 year old grandson and a 5 year old granddaughter that love to help me in the shop. I give them money for helping me keep things straightened up. They've both started showing an interest in turning things on my lathe.

bpgoldo

Robert, your photos and story moves my heart and spirit. At 61 years.....I miss being my dad's little boy. So much of him lives in every piece I work. Savor the days dad. This is the meaning of precious.

Magicbob

I agree, great photos and great memories.
I also encourage you to make a suitable stand for him, the bucket is only a second away from an accident. Not only could he be hurt and/or scared, you could be too reacting, not to mention Momma's reaction.

Totally agree about the bucket...one of those things where you grab the opportunity and take it! Couldn't resist with all his excitement! Also wanted to give an example of a "Shop Life" photo that shows off some of your woodshop in a cute / interesting picture.

Being a Dad is the best! Even better with a little woodworker by your side!!

Robert

Your picture brought back a memory of when my little guy (he's 44 now and out weighs me by about 60 lbs)... helped me on a wood working project... after his mom and I divorced, I bought an unfinished TV stand ... actually a shelving type unit made of 4 2x4 ladders with about 5 or 6 butcher block type of shelves of various lenghts, the unit was about 6 ft long overall and maybe 6 ft tall..... I set it up in the garage and spent 3 days sanding and finishing it.... I only have a mental picture of my little 5 year old out in the garage helping me sand it down.... he still has the unit in his house today...

Last edited:

OLDMAN5050

Passed Away May 15, 2019
In Memoriam
Please cherish this. all my boys are grown and gone and I do miss them. Tell the little man I sometimes poke out my tongue to complete the pen..

Top Bottom