Shop diasaster

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tool_Addict

Well, fellow family of woodworkers. tonight was a bad night. A heater in one of my doghouses caught fire and spread to my shop. got the dogs out fine. Faucet was frozen so no water, and shop extinguisher was no match. Shop was fully engulfed and we lost it all. new powermatic lathe, big griz tablesaw, 17"bandsaw,, all my special timbers, pen blanks and kits, turning blanks, burls and crotches, everything. no Christmas presents for the relatives from my shop this year.

I'm thankful it didn't spread to any houses or neighbors, but we had a lot of personal stuff stored in the loft which is gone forever, as well as all of our Christmas stuff. So much for decorating this week.

It's 1:40am now, fire crews are gone, and I've got to watch for hotspots. Will check back in with you all later. Stay safe, check your faucets, and get bigger extinguishers..if you ever need it, it's horrible when they run out when you're gaining on a fire.

Forrest

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Forrest, I am so sorry to hear of your fire. It hurts more to lose personal items than money in such an occurance. Still, I am glad that you and the dogs are alright. You will be in my thoughts.

johnson

Sorry to hear of your loss. Good that none of your family and that includes your dogs, got hurt. There is no good time of the year for this to happen, but before the holidays is especially bad. People really look forward to something made by hand. Hopefully the insurance people are good to you.
Dale

dubdrvrkev

Good to hear everyone is okay. I'm very sorry for the loss. When you get things straight let us know and I'm sure we can donate some blanks to the cause.

Ron Mc

Forrest,
I am so sorry to hear that you lost some tools and wood but am very grateful that your family is OK. If I may point out something that may be overlooked to to our nature to want to help each other. How many of us have space heaters in our shops? I believe Forrest would agree that we all need to look at how we provide heat in our shops and make sure it's safe. Forrest, I hope you do not take offense that I elaborated on your post. This just seems very important this time of year and I for one will be in the shop seeing how much is piled up by my space heaters.
Once again I am truly sorry and please let everyone know when you are ready to be restocked.

JimGo

Forrest,
Glad to hear you and your family are alright. Thankfully, at least some of the material things can be replaced. I hope you are up and running again very soon.

PenWorks

So sorry to hear Forrest, I know a little about fires, they suck. Glad no one was hurt. Remember, when you turn in your claim to the insurnace company, EVERTHING in there was your PERSONAL stuff, no BUSSINESS stuff. Give me your address and I will send you some pen blanks.

Tool_Addict

Thanks to everyone for their kind words of support. It's going to be a long haul I imagine. Can't recall what our homeowners covers,never needed it before, but I think it was replacement. Going to the bank & insurance later today after fire inspector gets thru. Will hopefully have good news.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Sorry to here of your loss. Glad no one was hurt, including the dogs. Material possessions can be replaced, but a loved one cannot, including our 4-footed ones. I've been lucky so far with no disasters, knock on wood (I think I've got some around somewhere [;)])

MDWine

I'm also glad for you that no one (people or pups) were hurt. The stuff you lost is replaceable, so that is good news. Let us know when you are back in operation, and we'll get you some wood to turn!

jwoodwright

Forrest, glad you and Family and pets are well. I've responded to too many fires caused by space heaters and such. One problem with that is no one thinks of the effect on nearby wood. Wood burns at 451*F... However, wood that is constanly heated, will eventually burn at a lower temp. Can't get the word off my tongue...Pyro....[?]
Up here we run both hot and cold, using a diverter to the outside faucett, only one pipe, containing hot and cold water. Do the same for toilets. Gets real cold here too.

Good luck with Insurance, stand firm. Sorry to be so long.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Forrest, Count me on on donating some blanks when you are ready. One thing for sure about this group, we may quibble and squabble, but we stand by our members. Let me know when you are ready and I'll get a box of blanks your way.

Tool_Addict

Well, so far we've found out that none of the tools will be covered since we didn't have a seperate rider for them, and the shop is questionable. The hope for that is that we had a gravel drive put in to it and there was automotive goods in there as well as 4 wheelers. 1 4 wheeler was damaged and is not covered either since it too would have needed a seperate policy. Learning things the hard way here. Kind of an escaped horse/closing barn door type of thing, but I know I'll be well insured after all this is thru, though most likely with a different company.

Will keep you all posted on how the building part turns out. Sure am gonna miss that big powermatic lathe though. hardly even had it broken in.

Thanks again for all the support and kind words. It really does mean alot to us and is helping us get thru all of this garbage.

Forrest

Just had a lady in the community that used the wrong fuel in her heater & it blew up in her face, she is a live but in great pain. Forrest let us know when you are up and running again, I'll send you a few supplies.

Dario

HI,

Glad you and your family (and dogs) are safe.

I can't imagine what you are going through and don't know when you will turn again...but when that time comes please post here or email me...I'll get you some wood to start you off again. I know I can spare some blanks and some kits. This offer is genuine so please do not hesitate to contact me.

Easysport

Forrest. My most heart felt sympathies. I'm sure everyone in the forum feels the same way. Maybe someone will come up with a way we can all pool together and help. I just thank God everyone got out safe.

johnson

I have a surplus of lathe tools if you don't mind shopsmith and woodcraft brand names that I could part with. Kids have upgraded most of my tools for me.
Dale

Brent

Forrest, sorry to here about your loss. Try to work closly with your agent. A good agent can make a big difference when filing a claim. If the garage is attached to your house it should be covered and there might be a way to claim some of your loss of items inside. wording on your claim means everything so this is where a good agent would come in handy or maybe someone you know can help. The insurance companies send out notices all the time that they are changing one word to another or omitting a word all together. Makes you think what those big payments we send in will cover. Good luck, Glad no one was hurt.

airrat

Glad to hear the family (dogs inc) are all ok and espically glad to hear it didnt get the house. Insurance is funny on how they cover stuff, hopefully it works for you.

fuzzydog

This happened to me June 2005 (1 day after we put the house on the market to sell) I've walked your path and felt the emotional drain. Just letting you know that your not alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom