Shipping to Australia

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Robutacion and I could use some suggestions.

In this thread, George asked for assistance to get a VS Upgrade for his lathe: http://www.penturners.org/forum/f97/lathe-1624-44-head-upgrade-issues-146753/

So, is is now sitting in my basement looking very lonely.

I'll pull in some favors this week and get it checked out, then need to figure out shipping.

The packaged box is 45 lbs.

24" (long) x 13" (high) x 12" (Wide)

Value $600 US

I've done some preliminary estimates with DHL, Borderlinx, Fed Express, UPS, USPS.

It can be broken down into 2 boxes: Motor, and controller if need be.

Any suggestions on where I should look for options? Anyone have any experience with shipping to Australia would be greatly appreciated.

I thank you in advance.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skie_M

Don't forget to load up on some nice burls and curly wood blanks on the way back! =D

(and don't try to smuggle a wallaby in your pack while you're at it ... I hear they taste all right, but I'm not sure how the airport would take unregistered pets ...)

PenPal

Seek out a friendly Quantas et al employee who flies regularly to and from the US.

Peter.

I have a daughter who lives in Utah she comes over each year in July for a month to visit with us, bit much for hand luggage.

Peter.

PS What about voltages and we have 240 volt and 50 cycles you have 120 and 60 cycles are they compatable?

Last edited:

PenPal

I know this lathe motor drives direct some hoe but pics of when I installed my VL100 and later on VL150 the two different speed controllers etc just food for thought.The last pic came from out of the blue just showing the Vicmarc new chuck I bought last year.

Kind regards Peter.

Attachments

• DSCF0002.JPG
    DSCF0002.JPG
    122.7 KB · Views: 177
  • DSCF0004.JPG
    DSCF0004.JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 175
  • DSCF0009.JPG
    DSCF0009.JPG
    173.3 KB · Views: 176
  • DSCF0011.JPG
    DSCF0011.JPG
    113.8 KB · Views: 172
  • DSCF0016-001.JPG
    DSCF0016-001.JPG
    125.2 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
Robutacion and I could use some suggestions.

In this thread, George asked for assistance to get a VS Upgrade for his lathe: http://www.penturners.org/forum/f97/lathe-1624-44-head-upgrade-issues-146753/

So, is is now sitting in my basement looking very lonely.

I'll pull in some favors this week and get it checked out, then need to figure out shipping.

The packaged box is 45 lbs.

24" (long) x 13" (high) x 12" (Wide)

Value $600 US

I've done some preliminary estimates with DHL, Borderlinx, Fed Express, UPS, USPS.

It can be broken down into 2 boxes: Motor, and controller if need be.

Any suggestions on where I should look for options? Anyone have any experience with shipping to Australia would be greatly appreciated.

I thank you in advance.

I'm sorry I'm retired now, but in my earlier career international shipping was what I did, and Australia was one of my markets... Unfortunately, I've been out of the business for almost 12 years and I'm sure lots have changed... don't pack it in wood that might have bark on it, you'll need to fumigate the package before shipping... the carriers you've listed tend to be the pricier ones in the business. MSAS, if still in business, is Australia based and might be best bet... If you do use any of the above carriers, other than the USPS, they will have forwarding fees, freight charges, documentation fees, etc... plus at the other end they will do customs clearance, charging George for documentation, duties, taxes, etc... USPS might be best as you can do the paperwork yourself and they will charge only the postage(I don't think they charge for export docs).... since the value is over $250 (unless the minimum has changed) you need an S.E.D (shipper's export declaration) and the schedule 'B" number... I think the post office will help with that.

Not much help I guess, but international shipping isn't all that hard.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Thank you Chuck.

Any info is helpful at this point.

I'm not worried if I can get it there, just want it to get there intact and for a fair price; shippers need to make a fair profit too.

Mark

chrisk

Some cost-effective shipping alternatives through Shipito forwarding company. The cheaper @ $US153 with "Shipito Preferred Carrier with AU Post", Fedex Economy for $US185...You could try a shipping simulation through the following website:
https://www.shipito.com/en/shipping-calculator?countrycode=au

Just fill the pop-up menus like I did below:
Warehouse: Hawthorne
City: Adelaide Hills
Zip: 5000
Weight: 45lbs
Value: $600
Dimensions: 24" x 13" 12"

The only obligation is to register with Shipito and to pay $US2 fee for every effective single shipment (that is without their consolidation service).

Hope this helps.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I just know that we pretty much use DHL for all of our overseas shipments & our shipping agent is always looking for the best rates she can get.

robutacion

Well, according to what I know, Australian Customs won't charge any duty fees to items under AU$1,000 which in this case is quite safe because the unit cost is US$599.00 which represents about AU$775.00 (changes daily)

I only had things coming to me from USA via the Flap rate boxes, there has always been a size that suits the requirements and is this case, it may be better to divide the upgrade in 2 boxes and hopefully there will be a Flat rate box large enough for the motor alone, the controller will have a box to suit, I'm sure however, I have to refer to Duncan's post #36 of my original upgrade thread when he says "
Quote:
Now, one other thing that I forgot to ask you before is, can you provided the original box sizes with both the motor and controller in...?
It's 24" long, 12" high, 12.5" wide.

Quote:
I'm trying to figure out if USA Post has any flat rate box big enough to have the original box simply put inside or, remove both parts and have then re-packed in a flat rate box
The controller unit measures approximately 9" x 8" x 5-1/2".

It might just fit into a USPS Medium (11" x 8-1/2" x 5-1/2") FRB (but that's a tight fit, and could result in the rotary dial breaking if it takes a hit).

The Large FRB has the same height as the Medium -- 5-1/2" -- so that could also be risky to hold the controller unit (again, the rotary dial would be pressing against the box, there would be no space for padding to protect against shocks).

The motor is about 8" diameter by 13" long (including the shaft that fits into the pulleys). I do not think there is a flat rate box that will hold this.

Naturally the motor is the heaviest part of the unit (I can't weigh it since it's bolted onto my lathe!), putting the lighter component into a flat rate box might turn out to cost more.

Quote:
I mention flat rate boxes because is my belief that, if it fits, weight is irrelevant, right..?
Not for international.

To Australia, the both Medium and Large FR boxes have a weight limit of 20lbs -- enough for the controller box (which weighs 7-3/4lbs), not for the motor (which wouldn't fit in a flat rate box anyway).

Cost for Medium FRB to Australia is USD 75.95.

Cost for Large FRB to Australia is USD 95.95.

Quote:
According to the item specifications, the box weight 45 pounds = 20.5kg

Any ideas..?
That sounds about right -- I could carry it myself, but would not want to carry it a long distance.

I can't offer suggestions on shipping, George. (The largest item I've ever shipped to Australia is a fountain pen.) I can't even think of any companies I know that ship goods from USA to Oz, or I would try to find out what method they use.

Food for though, huh...?

Cheers
George

chrisk

George,
For one year now, I just forgot the USPS postal service. Since then, I use the Shipito forwarding company. They have the best shipping rates and above all no restriction on size. Just follow the links in my previous post.

robutacion

George,
For one year now, I just forgot the USPS postal service. Since then, I use the Shipito forwarding company. They have the best shipping rates and above all no restriction on size. Just follow the links in my previous post.

Thanks mate,

I'm sure Mark has taken note of that but, I will also have a look and see what they are all about.

Do you know if they have a representative here in Australia..?

Cheers
George

chrisk

George,

Thanks mate,

I'm sure Mark has taken note of that but, I will also have a look and see what they are all about.

Do you know if they have a representative here in Australia..?

Cheers
George

George,
No I don't think they have Shipito representatives in other countries for they use existing shipping companies: Fedex, DHL, USPS (the most expensive)...
In your case, I found out that their preferred and cheaper option is through a collaboration with the Australian postal service.

I systematically use their services and can even spare a few $ for they have an economy shipping alternative (specially valid for lighter parcels and less than $US200 value ones) that is cheaper than USPS Priority or USPS First Class International, without any size or weight constraint. As for the delivery delays (to Belgium) of their "Economy" alternative, they are about the same as the USPS ones.
Also, their courrier alternatives (DHL, Fedex...) are seemingly much cheaper through the Shipito system.

Top Bottom