Shipping to Australia - Page 2 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Casual Conversation
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Casual Conversation Off-topic, general chat.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2017, 02:48 PM   #11 (permalink)

Photos: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark james View Post
You guys are loads of help ! May you all get sawdust up your noses

The saying is may you all get sawdust down your shorts
Old 03-19-2017, 03:17 PM   #12 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenPal View Post
An added thought we use 240 volt 50 cycles you use 110? and 60 cycles are they compatable.

Peter.
In the original thread Duncan in post 16 found the answer.

Lathe 1624-44 head upgrade issues...!
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-19-2017, 06:50 PM   #13 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark james View Post
Robutacion and I could use some suggestions.

In this thread, George asked for assistance to get a VS Upgrade for his lathe: Lathe 1624-44 head upgrade issues...!

So, is is now sitting in my basement looking very lonely.

I'll pull in some favors this week and get it checked out, then need to figure out shipping.

The packaged box is 45 lbs.

24" (long) x 13" (high) x 12" (Wide)

Value $600 US

I've done some preliminary estimates with DHL, Borderlinx, Fed Express, UPS, USPS.

It can be broken down into 2 boxes: Motor, and controller if need be.

Any suggestions on where I should look for options? Anyone have any experience with shipping to Australia would be greatly appreciated.

I thank you in advance.
I'm sorry I'm retired now, but in my earlier career international shipping was what I did, and Australia was one of my markets... Unfortunately, I've been out of the business for almost 12 years and I'm sure lots have changed... don't pack it in wood that might have bark on it, you'll need to fumigate the package before shipping... the carriers you've listed tend to be the pricier ones in the business. MSAS, if still in business, is Australia based and might be best bet... If you do use any of the above carriers, other than the USPS, they will have forwarding fees, freight charges, documentation fees, etc... plus at the other end they will do customs clearance, charging George for documentation, duties, taxes, etc... USPS might be best as you can do the paperwork yourself and they will charge only the postage(I don't think they charge for export docs).... since the value is over $250 (unless the minimum has changed) you need an S.E.D (shipper's export declaration) and the schedule 'B" number... I think the post office will help with that.

Not much help I guess, but international shipping isn't all that hard.

If you look for trouble, it will find you!
TellicoTurning is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 03-19-2017, 07:04 PM   #14 (permalink)

Photos: 289

Thank you Chuck.

Any info is helpful at this point.

I'm not worried if I can get it there, just want it to get there intact and for a fair price; shippers need to make a fair profit too.

Mark
Wadsworth, Ohio, OH 44281
Like the Midwest Penturners Gathering Facebook Page for all current information!
mark james is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-19-2017, 08:02 PM   #15 (permalink)

Photos: 5

Some cost-effective shipping alternatives through Shipito forwarding company. The cheaper @ $US153 with "Shipito Preferred Carrier with AU Post", Fedex Economy for $US185...You could try a shipping simulation through the following website:
https://www.shipito.com/en/shipping-...countrycode=au

Just fill the pop-up menus like I did below:
Warehouse: Hawthorne
City: Adelaide Hills
Zip: 5000
Weight: 45lbs
Value: $600
Dimensions: 24" x 13" 12"

The only obligation is to register with Shipito and to pay $US2 fee for every effective single shipment (that is without their consolidation service).

Hope this helps.
chrisk is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-19-2017, 08:29 PM   #16 (permalink)
New Member Advocate

Photos: 23

I just know that we pretty much use DHL for all of our overseas shipments & our shipping agent is always looking for the best rates she can get.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:18 PM   #17 (permalink)

Photos: 289

Christos and Edgar, Thanks for the suggestions - I will follow up, much appreciated.
Wadsworth, Ohio, OH 44281
Like the Midwest Penturners Gathering Facebook Page for all current information!
mark james is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-19-2017, 10:08 PM   #18 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Watch customs, they might hit it with taxes. last thing I shipped overseas had the value and marked as gift and the receiver had to pay.
hanau is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-20-2017, 02:29 AM   #19 (permalink)

Photos: 4

Well, according to what I know, Australian Customs won't charge any duty fees to items under AU$1,000 which in this case is quite safe because the unit cost is US$599.00 which represents about AU$775.00 (changes daily)

I only had things coming to me from USA via the Flap rate boxes, there has always been a size that suits the requirements and is this case, it may be better to divide the upgrade in 2 boxes and hopefully there will be a Flat rate box large enough for the motor alone, the controller will have a box to suit, I'm sure however, I have to refer to Duncan's post #36 of my original upgrade thread when he says "
Quote:
Now, one other thing that I forgot to ask you before is, can you provided the original box sizes with both the motor and controller in...?
It's 24" long, 12" high, 12.5" wide.

Quote:
I'm trying to figure out if USA Post has any flat rate box big enough to have the original box simply put inside or, remove both parts and have then re-packed in a flat rate box
The controller unit measures approximately 9" x 8" x 5-1/2".

It might just fit into a USPS Medium (11" x 8-1/2" x 5-1/2") FRB (but that's a tight fit, and could result in the rotary dial breaking if it takes a hit).

The Large FRB has the same height as the Medium -- 5-1/2" -- so that could also be risky to hold the controller unit (again, the rotary dial would be pressing against the box, there would be no space for padding to protect against shocks).

The motor is about 8" diameter by 13" long (including the shaft that fits into the pulleys). I do not think there is a flat rate box that will hold this.

Naturally the motor is the heaviest part of the unit (I can't weigh it since it's bolted onto my lathe!), putting the lighter component into a flat rate box might turn out to cost more.

Quote:
I mention flat rate boxes because is my belief that, if it fits, weight is irrelevant, right..?
Not for international.

To Australia, the both Medium and Large FR boxes have a weight limit of 20lbs -- enough for the controller box (which weighs 7-3/4lbs), not for the motor (which wouldn't fit in a flat rate box anyway).

Cost for Medium FRB to Australia is USD 75.95.

Cost for Large FRB to Australia is USD 95.95.

Quote:
According to the item specifications, the box weight 45 pounds = 20.5kg

Any ideas..?
That sounds about right -- I could carry it myself, but would not want to carry it a long distance.

I can't offer suggestions on shipping, George. (The largest item I've ever shipped to Australia is a fountain pen.) I can't even think of any companies I know that ship goods from USA to Oz, or I would try to find out what method they use.

Food for though, huh...?

Cheers
George

Email: nyodine@yahoo.com.au

Web-Store: https://www.georges-bits-of-timber.com/
robutacion is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-20-2017, 06:14 AM   #20 (permalink)

Photos: 5

George,
For one year now, I just forgot the USPS postal service. Since then, I use the Shipito forwarding company. They have the best shipping rates and above all no restriction on size. Just follow the links in my previous post.
chrisk is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads