Shipping??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

For those that sell pens and ship throughout the world or even just the USA, now that it is getting cold, what do you do if anything to keep your pens from weather related accidents??? I guess the same question could be asked when it is being shipped in hot conditions too. Do you take any measures in packing to prevent craking due to weather related problems??? Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

IPD_Mrs

We have never done anything special packaging wise for temperature. Pens get wrapped in bubble and peanuts to survive the automated sorting hubs. I think it is a legitimate concern for things like Bakelite and maybe snake-wood, especially if it is real cold outside and you bring it in. Kind of like a camera that has been outside and when you bring it in the lens fogs up. The same can happen when it is in air conditioning and it goes out in hot humid air.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Necessary???

I'm not sure you have to worry about it...if you haven't been having problems reported . Even in the heat of summer the cargo holds of airplanes can get right chilly and a lot of our shipped products make at least part of the trip by air.

I'm not sure you have to worry about it...if you haven't been having problems reported . Even in the heat of summer the cargo holds of airplanes can get right chilly and a lot of our shipped products make at least part of the trip by air.

You are right Smitty... the cargo holds on most planes are not heated nor cooled... just the ambient temperature... on all cargo planes, you may have a little heat as well as on the acft with engines in the tails, but that is usually just radiant heat as the engines are not near the body of the acft anyway...

In years past we've had people stow away in the cargo holds and nearly freeze to death when the flights reach their assigned altitude... sometimes as high as 35,000 feet.

I've never done anything special on my pens... I always ship them in a nice pen box, then that box is in the USPS priority flat rate box or envelope with a little bubble wrap around the pen box... so far have never had a complaint.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

You are right Smitty... the cargo holds on most planes are not heated nor cooled... just the ambient temperature... on all cargo planes, you may have a little heat as well as on the acft with engines in the tails, but that is usually just radiant heat as the engines are not near the body of the acft anyway...

In years past we've had people stow away in the cargo holds and nearly freeze to death when the flights reach their assigned altitude... sometimes as high as 35,000 feet.

I've never done anything special on my pens... I always ship them in a nice pen box, then that box is in the USPS priority flat rate box or envelope with a little bubble wrap around the pen box... so far have never had a complaint.
Our military aircraft computers had to be able to start after sitting 8 hours or more a -40 degrees. They also had to operate to - 40 because the airplane could take of from a base in Alaska in the dead of winter and clime to 50,000 feet in a matter of a couple of minutes. The electronic equipment could be mighty cold. For those who might not have taken the time to figure it our -40 is where F and C are equal.

Top Bottom