She is addicted

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jennera

This is Rebecca. Today she followed me around Woodcraft begging for cocobolo and promising me she would wear her respirator. I made her put it back...not wanting to risk another reaction.

Most 16 year old girls a buying prom dresses right now.

[emoji1] [emoji1] [emoji1]
d872f0eebb05dabba77bcf0fb44bf78e.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
LOL, this is great!!! With the proper protection, she could be fine with the cocobolo. Another very pretty wood to turn that is less likely to cause any ill reactions is bocote.
And..about the prom dress..... she could get another lathe for the cost of one of those!!!

magpens

Hi Rebecca !!!! . Nice to meet you !!! . Hope you have lots of fun making pens !!!

I recommend Bocote ... Choose the right piece with nice grain pattern and you will like it better than Cocobolo !!! . Bocote is easier to finish beautifully as well, just a little Woodturner's Finish or a little PensPlus.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Jenn,

I have posted a few times over the years about the CA allergies that hit me a little over two years after I started making pens and using CA. Due to the quickness of the CA finish, I did not want to give it up.

I looked intently at other finishes and tried them. They worked but it took time. Then I went to work to see what I could do to use CA and prevent the allergies. I went the whole 9 yards. I added 1. a dust collector system at the lathe, 2. got a respirator like this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Safety-Works...90&sr=8-5&keywords=dust+masks+and+respirators
3. added a fan blowing across the lathe away from me, 4. started wearing a smock and 5. kept a damp towel close by to wipe off the dust from the smock, my hands and arms.

It works. There are ways around many allergies that still permit using a favorite wood or finish. But planning is a must and adhering to the plan is also a must.

The look in her eyes holding that cocobolo speaks volumes!

jennera

Jenn,

I have posted a few times over the years about the CA allergies that hit me a little over two years after I started making pens and using CA. Due to the quickness of the CA finish, I did not want to give it up.

I looked intently at other finishes and tried them. They worked but it took time. Then I went to work to see what I could do to use CA and prevent the allergies. I went the whole 9 yards. I added 1. a dust collector system at the lathe, 2. got a respirator like this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Safety-Works...90&sr=8-5&keywords=dust+masks+and+respirators
3. added a fan blowing across the lathe away from me, 4. started wearing a smock and 5. kept a damp towel close by to wipe off the dust from the smock, my hands and arms.

It works. There are ways around many allergies that still permit using a favorite wood or finish. But planning is a must and adhering to the plan is also a must.

The look in her eyes holding that cocobolo speaks volumes!
We have told her she can try turning some again this summer when she will not miss school if she gets sick. Her grades slipped after she started turning in January so we told her we would ground her from using the lathe if she didn't get back on track with school! Lol!

I am very happy to invest in a skill & hobby. She is planning to spend more time with her grandpa this summer so he can teach her to turn bowls and other things not using the mandrel.

It's been great watching her learn! She wants to teach me as soon as I can make time. Maybe Monday I will have my first pen to post. All other pens have been hers except the one her brother turned.

We were gifted a mini 12 inch lathe a few weeks ago so once we get the garage organized, we can have two lathes running as long as we don't overload the circuit. Probably need to go ahead and have an electrician add another outlet or two. Hubby has been wanting to do that anyway.

Now, off to clean the garage!
Jennifer

howsitwork

Can you get pink ivory over there? That's fun and hard, always wear a mask when sanding ( honest I do (try) to!

Have fun both of you.

Hmm tidy the garage not sure I could approve of that!

Ian

mecompco

That's awesome! I, too, regret that I can no longer turn Cocobolo w/o enduring at least a week with itchy hives. Lots of alternatives, of course. Keep up the good work--it's nice to see a young person enjoying turning. My daughter tried it once and quickly gave up after a slight nick with the gouge (which I told her was sharp, but apparently didn't reinforce the point quite enough). Of course, she is going on 24 and should know better anyway. :)

Regards,
Michael

jennera

Can you get pink ivory over there? That's fun and hard, always wear a mask when sanding ( honest I do (try) to!

Have fun both of you.

Ian

We have looked at pink ivory but haven't gotten any just yet. She has plenty of blanks to work with right now so I have been trying to limit her purchases. The Woodcraft near us just stocked up on new woods she hasn't seen before (including pink ivory) so we tried to limit her to just a few new things less than a couple of dollars each. We went there to get a set of wheels for the band saw and new micromesh.

Pink is my favorite color and I really want a pen for myself with pink ivory but wanted to wait for her skills to improve first. She has turned a couple of rollerball pens now and loves them and I have been using one she made with paduak. I would like to have one with pink ivory.

Do you have any pink ivory pens to share?

Have fun both of you.

Ian
7d164384db9ee118432c4f48be93878b.jpg

jennera

A new friend on the forums sent some blanks for her to try. She hasn't gotten to all of them yet but really liked the apple. One of these is in her collection and the other in mine. :)

I have been reading about the odorless CA. She wears her respirator and hasn't had any more reactions but does complain about the smell sometimes. We might have to try the odorless stuff.
f4bd8022cc712a76a60d4877e3e5c452.jpg

stonepecker

having a small fan blowing the fumes away from her might be a help. If possible I will have a used box fan at my garage door with the door open. IF you add a furnace filter, the box fan can also collect some of the dust that tends to get in the air.

jennera

having a small fan blowing the fumes away from her might be a help. If possible I will have a used box fan at my garage door with the door open. IF you add a furnace filter, the box fan can also collect some of the dust that tends to get in the air.
I think we have the garage arranged in a way now that we can try that. Somewhere around here we have a couple of box fans. I am not sure she will like where the lathe is now so we might be looking to add some wheels to it so she can move it away from the bandsaw to have more room while she is working.

We tidied up quite a bit yesterday and managed to get the main tools placed so she can use them but still more stuff to sort through and toss or organize.

Found an old box with drawers her Dad isn't using that will be great to store bushings in and I learned I should stay away from the Cedar logs we hope to get some pen blanks from. My arms broke out after I moved one of them.

Trying to get her set up better. Hoping she will stay a bit more organized. I don't like finding blanks and pen kits everywhere. [emoji5]

Dehn0045

I agree with all of the ventilation recommendations, in addition I recommend using an organic vapor cartridge for your respirator. This is the cartridge specified for ethyl cyanoacrylate (thin CA), particulate only filters won't do much for CA. I recommend these as they are also particulate filters (P100). I also wear my face shield to prevent getting fumes in my eyes, which helps, alteratively you can use a full-face respirator. Just make sure that the mask and cartridges you buy fit with each other. Note that 3m sells a lower price respirator but the cartridges are fixed and cannot be replaced (I think this one also does particulates, but not sure). Finally, proper fit of the mask is important, get the right size and for me it means staying cleanly shaved. Hope this helps, good luck!

edicehouse

Rebecca, this is a tip to you. Find FOG (Found on Ground) pieces of wood. Cut the end of the piece off and see if there is spalting (black lines), those make awesome looking pens, just google images for spalted pens.

Jennera as far as her leaving kits or blanks all over, when you find them put them aside and a month later say, "Hey I got something for you" and give her what you collected around the house.

jennera

Rebecca, this is a tip to you. Find FOG (Found on Ground) pieces of wood. Cut the end of the piece off and see if there is spalting (black lines), those make awesome looking pens, just google images for spalted pens.

Jennera as far as her leaving kits or blanks all over, when you find them put them aside and a month later say, "Hey I got something for you" and give her what you collected around the house.
She has some FOG that we are planning to cut into blanks soon. The photo below is some cedar that we picked up a couple of years ago after a storm. [emoji5]

I bought a cute little shelf at Hobby Lobby for the blanks and baskets for the kits. We worked hard this weekend organizing the garage and throwing away a lot of junk that we had collected over the years....She and I are both much happier now and think she will be able to keep things together. [emoji1]

Her Dad and brother want to turn stuff too so I am trying to avoid any other "she took my blank" arguments between them. They now each have a spot for their blanks and the bushings have been labeled so everyone can find them.

I hope to learn soon! It has been a great family activity. She has found it to be a great creative outlet and way to relax after school.

I can't say thanks enough for all the encouragement and advice she has gotten from all the IAP members!
90356532b9cbb173f5439ec5bd9a5184.jpg
c85ac9da3395441a9b09adff2a042e0a.jpg

robutacion

G'day Jennera,

Pleased to meet your daughter Rebecca and follow her excitement with the new passion she now has, I hope it will last and if not, she will never forget the experience.

From what I understand you seem to have 3 pen turners in your home, yourself and the 2 young people, I'm not sure if her brother is as keen as she is, it doesn't seem so but, they both have issues with who owns particular blanks so, keeping them separate on hers and his blanks drawers is the best way to avoid any unnecessary arguments.

Found wood is a lot easier to get them you may think, a trip to the dump may result in a score however, the best way to get free wood is to find a tree working company in your area and ask them to save a little bit for you.

You are a long way from me here in South Australia but, I would like to offer you and your kids an AU$100.00 voucher to be claimed on my web-store here

Have a good look with your kids and let them select what they like, you can do the same and while you are at it, get some high grade of my Olive wood blanks, I'm sure they will be enough for everyone to try out.

You will be required to pay for shipping as vouchers never cover it.

Depending on the type of blanks you will be selecting (singles or packs of 4) 2 thinks may happen, one is that you run out of the voucher amount covered but you can go over and pay the difference and secondly, selecting raw blanks packs only, it normally results in less expenditure than the more expensive single cast blanks but more blanks/weight for the parcel, I can tell you that, for the USA using the regular Economy option from Australia Post, the first 250gr of weight will cost AU$14.00 and then an extra AU$4.00 for every 250gr increments, blanks or packs have their respective weight on the item description so, you can keep and eye on the weight you are willing to pay/cover.

These vouchers have a 3 month (90 days) duration before they expire, if you think that you can't make it in that time period, you only have to let me know preferentially before it expires and I will issue you with a new voucher.

I'm certain that you all will be excited to turn some Aussie woods, you should also not forget that each month I run a Mr. Anonymous game for an AU$100.00 voucher prize, you should keep and eye for it and have a go, not always a need to be an expert on these matters.

Well, that is all from me at this point, I will keep following your thread with interest.

Best of luck to you all...!

PS: Voucher code to follow on a PM

Cheers
George

jennera

Sorry, I would like to correct that the first 250gr will cost AU$12.00 and not AU$14.00

Cheers
George
Oh wow! Thank you so much! I didn't have a chance to share this with her but will let her know after school. She will be very excited!

I will be looking for the contest in the future. I saw a couple of things on your website she has been asking for so I am sure she will want to place an order soon.

Thank you!

robutacion

Sorry, I would like to correct that the first 250gr will cost AU$12.00 and not AU$14.00

Cheers
George
Oh wow! Thank you so much! I didn't have a chance to share this with her but will let her know after school. She will be very excited!

I will be looking for the contest in the future. I saw a couple of things on your website she has been asking for so I am sure she will want to place an order soon.

Thank you!

You're welcome...!:)

Cheers
George

Top Bottom