Seriously out of touch

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

ilikewood

Well, due to the high gas price problem and my $600 per month gas bill, I was forced to rebuild my old 1991 Geo Metro for the last few weeks...no time for even checking in on all my old friends here. It is now complete and I may resume my old browsings! (be warned):D

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

woodwish

Gas has become almost impossible to find along the Gulf coast in recent weeks. Lots of carpooling and just staying home has been the best solution so far. Don't have a Geo to rebuild so I am thinking about how to get a little more speed out of my John Deere mower! [8D]

Paul in OKC

Originally posted by ilikewood
<br />Well, due to the high gas price problem and my $600 per month gas bill, I was forced to rebuild my old 1991 Geo Metro for the last few weeks...no time for even checking in on all my old friends here. It is now complete and I may resume my old browsings! (be warned)[:D]

wish I still had mine. Had a '91 also. 47mpg with the air on!

ilikewood

It would have been EASIER to turn them on the lathe for sure....I had to special order rings from Wisconson and a few other goodies had to be mailed in. It only took me about $550 to rebuild the engine (I had the head rebuilt by a shop), and I figure to save that much in two months. That means I should have more money to spend on PENS!!! (assuming SWHTCB agrees...that is "She Who Holds The Check Book")

BTW- My 1970's John Deere 110 gets terrible gas mileage, but I'm sure I would look "cool" whipping down the street on it![8D]

Scott

Good to see you, Bill!

Ahhh, the Geo Metro! I love them! We had two of them, both 87's. You would not believe what we could pack into those cars! We gave one to my Son, and his Wife promptly wrecked it about two weeks later. The other one we traded in on a Honda Civic. I wish we had kept that car - we didn't get that much for trade in, and it was a great little car!

I'm glad you are putting your Geo back into service!

Take care!

Scott.

ilikewood

Actually, my family car is a Dodge B3000 12 passenger van (I am amazed you remembered that Shane). I suppose I will have to have a school bus license pretty soon though.

M

Mudder

Originally posted by Paul in OKC
<br />
Originally posted by ilikewood
<br />Well, due to the high gas price problem and my $600 per month gas bill, I was forced to rebuild my old 1991 Geo Metro for the last few weeks...no time for even checking in on all my old friends here. It is now complete and I may resume my old browsings! (be warned)[:D]

wish I still had mine. Had a '91 also. 47mpg with the air on!

Yea, but you neglected to mention that the top speed is 52mph! [}:)]

Actually, A buddy of mine had a Geo metro and I was surprised at how fast that little 3 cylinder could go.
My favorite was my 95 prizm. I put 235,000 miles on that car and all I ever did was very basic maintenance. Timing belt and brakes at 104k, 1 battery after 6 years and the rest was tires, brakes and oil change every 3000 miles.

ilikewood

Wait a minute Mudder...52mph was only with a tail wind!

Actually they are quick little engines and really get out and move. Funny thing is...I have ridden motorcycles with bigger engines (Geo is 1000cc).

Dario

Not sure but I think I rented a Geo once and it saves you gas....just don't go over 45 mph or so. At higher speed that car turns into a gas guzzler! While all cars have that bell curve on their efficiency chart relative to speed, this one sure surprised me. For the few weeks that I have it, it used more gas per mile than my old Toyota Camry (consistently).

For the record, what I meant with higher speed here is about 70 mph and that I rarely speed up 5 mph over the posted limit but I almost always stay at the upper limit [;)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom