September 30th is R-Day

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mtgrizzly52

After 42+ years working for one railroad that has changed its name many times I am what we call, "pulling the pin." I have worked as a section worker, pounding spikes, to working on trains as a brakeman, conductor and for a majority of my career as a locomotive engineer. The past 15 years, I have worked in management in the Safety Department, trying to keep the public from getting hit by trains. Overall, I have had a very interesting and satisfying career which I loved.

Last week I traveled to Fort Worth, TX for my final Staff Meeting, where the wonderful folks I've been working with and for, held a very special retirement party for me. As a part of that retirement celebration, I was presented with several retirement gifts that will always be dear and near to me for the rest of my life...no, not a gold watch, no stock certificates, no, thanks to a very special boss and team mates, they got me one of Ken's Wolverine Pen Pros, and one of his Wolverine Unitools plus handles for both. Both are chromed and engraved and are absolutely the prettiest lathe tools I've ever seen. I know they will work excellent because I've had one of Ken's earlier Wolverine tools and it is about the only tool I use for everything.

Thanks Ken for rushing the order process so my team could give it to me at the retirement dinner. It truly was a very memorable day for me.

Now, after much soul searching as to what the heck I'm going to do, my first priority is get to the lathe and try out those new tools. I figure that I need to make 16 pens right away as thank you gifts for my former team mates.

Thanks for letting me thank my boss, team and Ken in this forum for making my "last day" at work so special!

Rick (mtgrizzly52)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

neubee

Rick enjoy your retirement, 40 plus years is enough. I think you are really going to enjoy your new toys, much better than a gold colored watch. You should have plenty of time to play in the shop; winter is just around the corner in your part of the country. I can't wait for you to post some of your projects.

cwolfs69

CONGRATULATIONS RICK

Good luck in the new life, rick. retired in February after 50 years and feel great. You are in for some strange feelings. hard to get used to for a few but when it sinks in its great. good luck in whatever. by the way if you decide that you don't like the new tools, we know a couple of folks who would lighten you burden of them.

congrats again and good luck.

t001xa22

Rick, I too extend congratulations to you. I retired a little early after 39+ years in the sign trade, and the new experience is fantastic. I can relate a little with your career; my dad was with Santa Fe for many years in the 50's, and that is where I developed a life-long love of trains. Of course, mine started with steam engines, and graduated to the first diesel units. I bet you have some stories to tell.

Enjoy your new life, Rick.

Rick,
Congrats on your retirement... Oct 1 will be my 6th year into retirement after 40+ years in my industry. It's the beginning of a great time in your life and you'll find you can be as busy or not as you choose to be... it's surprising at how much you can find to do when you don't have to worry about being on the clock.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Congratulations Rick. I'd like to say that, moving from track maintenance to transportation was a good move toward securing your retirement. Not many of us Gandy Dancers made it that far.

Wish I had a chrome plated Pen-Pro :biggrin: Enjoy your retirement friend.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Rick,
Congratulations on a full career!! I heard this poem when I was in college (late 60's) and it stuck with me. I imagine you are very aware of it, but some younger guys may remember it in their future, as I have:

It's not my place to run the train
The whistle I cannot blow
It's not my place to say how far
The train's allowed to go
It's not my place to shoot off steam
Nor even clang the bell
But let the darn thing
Jump the track
AND SEE WHO CATCHES HELL!

Last edited:

socdad

Rick,
Congratulations on your retirement! After 35 years as a classroom teacher I walked out of the classroom into the wood shop, golf coarse and bass boat and haven't even thought about looking back ... between the home projects and hobbies I haven't the time to look back …

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
Congratulations Rick! Did it myself back in March. Never regretted it for one minute so far! I hope your retirement years are full of life's joys!

mtgrizzly52

Thank you all so very much. I have to be honest and say I am a bit scared and concerned about what I will do with all of this spare time. I've traveled for the majority of my 42 years and working 12-14 hour days is the norm for me. I also thrive on stress and now that is going to be reduced considerably so that is a concern for me.

In spite of these things, it is the right time for me to start the next phase of my life and I always seem to find challenges to keep my mind alive and active, so I will be looking for new opportunities for sure.

Right now though, I want to go into my shop and create pens and other wonders on my lathe. With the talent on this wonderful forum, and the creativeness of so many artists here, I have lots to learn in order to stay on the cutting edge of this wonderful hobby.

Thanks again for your kind remarks and support!

Rick (mtgrizzly52)

Top Bottom