The Senior Center Shop

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

scalawagtoo

Some of you may remember the fantastic shop I posted pictures of last summer, the Senior Citizens Woodshop.
I lost out on the use of the shop for several reasons but where they really had me is you cannot run a bizness out of a 401 3 c non-profit org.
I was putting in 40 hours a week and starting to make too much money and all the old ladies were complaining about the noise and some of the staff didn't like me.
But it was really the treasurer who was jealous of all of my work. I still legally have a right to use the shop but they won't let me keep my mini-lathe and tools there.
I sold all of my stuff except for my lathe and some lathe tools. This summer I will be making bowls on the picnic table outside my apt.
See how long I can get away with that.
Today I wanted to make a couple saw cuts so I went over to the center.
They have a new board of directors now, the ex-treasurer is gone, the old chairman that I did some special turning for is still around as an advisor.
I'm okay with giving up pens I guess. It only hurts when I think about it.:(:(:(:(:(
And my mandrel will fit on thier 48" AMT lathe if I want to make a few pens but now my tools are gone.
I sold out to another penmaker in our county and in this tiny county one penmaker is enough. He hadn't been doing too well and I really set him up with tools and material (including a four point and a six point buck rack.) I have given him a lot of advice and done some advertising for him and we have a sort of limited partnership. I'm the ad man and salesman.
I can also make bowls on the AMT, it has a twelve " swing.
But what was interesting to me was I noticed someone donated a full size metal working lathe. Starting to think of stainless steel or titanium pens.
I can still work there, just not all day every day.
Since the "irregular grain" walnut I put in the classifieds sold so well I'll try to get over to Minnesota to pick up another load. Sometimes he throws in a few board feet of padauk. For two pens I get a big box of walnut "culls" "bad grain"!!
This time I'm going to give him two antler pens. He'll go crazy over them.
You guys were envious of "my" big beautiful shop. Now I'm envious of all the gorgeous pens you guys make.
Have a great weekend and a great '06!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rtjw

Originally posted by scalawagtoo
<br />I lost out on the use of the shop for several reasons but where they really had me is you cannot run a bizness out of a 401 3 c non-profit org.
I was putting in 40 hours a week and starting to make too much money and all the old ladies were complaining about the noise and some of the staff didn't like me.
But it was really the treasurer who was jealous of all of my work. I still legally have a right to use the shop but they won't let me keep my mini-lathe and tools there.

And your mad because........
You were running a business out of a non profit group and making money from it and basically using it as your business site. HMMMMM Why in the world would they get upset!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom