Selling your pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

flat,550x550,075,f.jpg

leehljp

Member Liaison
More importantly, who do you know that buys pens? :biggrin:

Eric, I know you asked that in jest, :rolleyes: :biggrin: but there are some who wonder about this. So, not to you - but the ones who wonder, I will answer:
The market location dictates much; Tokyo, Los Angeles, Honolulu, Singapore, New York, Paris, London, Rome. These markets and the right stores/locations can garner more (10+ times) than the same quality pen in small town USA.

Fountain pen connoisseurs will pay far more per pen than for ball point. These are the people with money, extra money and free money. But they won't pay for "copies" and what some people consider "good enough". They will know if you are trying to give a snow job or bull your way through on nibs and etc and walk away.

Quality buyers are earned, they are out there, and they have money.

Last edited:

jttheclockman

Good post Hank. You are correct. What is amazing though is sometimes it is the most innocent place to sell a pen. I have sold pens literally out of my shirt pocket. Always carry one of your pens with you and use it whenever you can. Sold a pen to a doctor as I signed the waiting list. No problem spending $200 on a nice braided cast Jr Gent. Maybe he sent an extra bill to my insurance company but did not affect me.:biggrin::biggrin:

SteveG

I do sell pens at a weekly, half-day venue (planning to fully retire from that within this year, date TBD). However, I will add this: during recent travels, I had stopped at an over priced "Airport Bar", asked the barman if I could eat my slice of pizza at his bar while I consumed one of his beers. When paying the tab, the barman mentioned that he had noticed the pen in my pocket (a nice "Knurl" in antique brass w/olive root burl). He asked if I sell. My affirmative response elicited a big smile. I gave him my business card, and he grabbed the tab, paying it right in front of me with his own debit card. I am awaiting him contacting me to make his multiple pen purchase. I give away 'lots' of business cards...this one I fully expect will yield a sale! :biggrin: :biggrin:

leehljp

Member Liaison
Good post Hank. You are correct. What is amazing though is sometimes it is the most innocent place to sell a pen. I have sold pens literally out of my shirt pocket. Always carry one of your pens with you and use it whenever you can. Sold a pen to a doctor as I signed the waiting list. No problem spending $200 on a nice braided cast Jr Gent. Maybe he sent an extra bill to my insurance company but did not affect me.:biggrin::biggrin:

I could have sold a couple of pens at a wedding I performed a few years ago if I had been prepared. The couple used one of my pens to sign the marriage license and after the ceremony, two fellows came and wanted to see the pen. That one was not for sale. Still have it and use it.

jttheclockman

See here is 2 more stories and there are many more from many sellers here and even if you are not, you just never know where things lead. The unexpected. I will just add one more story and I have told this one before here, I sold a computer pen to a guy who sold me some dress pants and a suit I was buying. I signed the credit card slip with my pen and he saw that and have to have it. Sold it right then and gave him my card. Sold a few more to his friends because they were all computer game players and belong to some club or something. Weird things. I guess if we make pens we all are sellers.

Talltim

5000.00 for a pen. Would you mind telling us what the woodcraft kit number was on that?

Just joking. Cheers to all of you who do excellent creative original work and get paid what it is worth.

Top Bottom