Selling

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Silky

Hi, does anyone have trouble selling their beautiful pens, I had a good spell running up to Christmas, I had a sudden rush of sales in the 2 weeks prior to Xmas, I think people were stumped for what to buy people, then saw the ads on ebay and gumtree, thats fine, but the trend needs to continue, I was talking to a guy selling lovely hand turned pens at a craft fair, they were reasonably priced, he said people just look and comment on how cheap you can buy cheap biros in supermarkets, I sell my pens for hardly any profit, but just enjoy the finished product, what can you do to sell your pride and joy.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Hi, does anyone have trouble selling their beautiful pens, I had a good spell running up to Christmas, I had a sudden rush of sales in the 2 weeks prior to Xmas, I think people were stumped for what to buy people, then saw the ads on ebay and gumtree, thats fine, but the trend needs to continue, I was talking to a guy selling lovely hand turned pens at a craft fair, they were reasonably priced, he said people just look and comment on how cheap you can buy cheap biros in supermarkets, I sell my pens for hardly any profit, but just enjoy the finished product, what can you do to sell your pride and joy.
If you get an answer to that question that works - use it. It really seems that there are things that work well for some folks and not at all for others - I personally have never found any approach that works consistently.

RBcarving

This is not a joke...DOUBLE your price !! Value is perceived, not written in stone. If you are selling for hardly any profit, then your pen isnt "valued" much more than those at the supermarket. Scary concept, but Ive seen it work over & over.

raar25

I started well in 2011 and for two years it got a little better each year and than 2014 it started dropping off and 2016 was very slow. I have found that the more advertising I do the more I sell which makes sense more exposure more sales. The problem I have is if I spend $1000/year on advertising for $2000 in sales I am just as well off doing no advertising and only selling $1000 not to mention putting out a lot less effort. I may try finding some consignment and gift stores but that takes a lot of time to do sales calls and my full time job does not allow me much extra time during the day.

So I second what Smitty said. Especially what worked for me 5 years ago doesn't seem to be working anymore.

I will say that in the NE I have found craft fairs to be a real waste of time. I generally just make enough to pay for the pleasure of attending and make no profit. Sorry if that doesn't help much.

Ray

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
You are in the UK. I would expect selling there is different from selling in the USA. Heck, selling in Chicago is different from selling in Indiana (200 miles apart). Hope you get some answers from "your neighbors".

eranox

I can't remember who originally gave me this advice, but having a much more expensive pen on the table will greatly increase the perceived value in the less expensive pens. Get a very high end kit and materials, and make a masterpiece. Price it to where you think no sane person would buy it--and you'll be pleasantly surprised what some people will pay for a top-shelf pen. The high dollar pen will grab a lot of attention, and will make selling pens in the $50-100 range much easier.

Also, a big +1 for RBcarving's suggestion of upping your prices. At least 80% of my sales are as gifts, and the giver usually wants something "really nice" for the recipient. My worst selling pens are always my least expensive, so much so that I don't even bother with Slimlines anymore.

Silky

Cheers guys, a lot of this makes sense, I will try increasing the selling prices a fair bit, I sell mine for little above the cost of making them, ive ended up with so many pens I dont know what to do with them all, its the same with some of my woodturnings, nobody seems to appreciate the time and effort thats been put into making these things, thanks for all the advice.

Top Bottom