Votes: 9 4.1%
  • Strongly opposed

Votes: 2 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
In this thread [profile]jttheclockman[/profile] proposed the creation of a segmenting forum.

Please vote in the poll, and feel free to leave a comment in this thread.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Thanks Jeff for posting. Everyone knows how I feel but just to add to that. I see no downside to doing this at all. Segmenting is here to stay. I would love to see it expand even more than what we have seen so far. I am currently working on a few projects that will be included in any forum that is drawn up but would love to see a dedicated segmenting forum. Segmenting requires abit of outside the box thinking and hopefully we can get enough interest to develop some new techniques or ideas. Hope you take the time to vote one way or other. Thanks again Jeff.

My vote is in.I like the idea of being able to stay at one place for extensive study of this subject.I'm not ready yet.But when I am that will be great.But I like seeing the work being done in this.I voted the first choice.I hardly have time to keep up with one forum.So you see my mixed feelings on this.Thanks Jeff.I appreciate you and others taking care of this site.It isn't always easy.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I voted 'Somewhat in favour' and I'll most likely contribute to it too.
Why are the results hidden?
From all the previous discussion I would also like to know how the rough idea would work. There were many good suggestions ( and some not so good IMO ) in that thread.

Here's an example....say I ( or anyone else ) posts a pen in SOYP or even in Advanced Pen Making and someone asks how it was made. Do we answer them or then start a new thread in this new forum just to show how a particular piece was cut and glued in?

I know it would be a daunting and probably impossible task, but it was mentioned above about moving existing or previous 'segmenting' threads into it. There is some merit in that as there have been several excellent methods shown over the years.

Perhaps it could be workable that if someone comes across such a thread, then they could post a link to it in the new forum?
I'm assuming that all links to the same thread would be identical, so perhaps the site software could state automatically if that link was already in the list? I dunno, just thinking allowed.:rolleyes:

jttheclockman

I voted 'Somewhat in favour' and I'll most likely contribute to it too.
Why are the results hidden?
From all the previous discussion I would also like to know how the rough idea would work. There were many good suggestions ( and some not so good IMO ) in that thread.

Here's an example....say I ( or anyone else ) posts a pen in SOYP or even in Advanced Pen Making and someone asks how it was made. Do we answer them or then start a new thread in this new forum just to show how a particular piece was cut and glued in?

I know it would be a daunting and probably impossible task, but it was mentioned above about moving existing or previous 'segmenting' threads into it. There is some merit in that as there have been several excellent methods shown over the years.

Perhaps it could be workable that if someone comes across such a thread, then they could post a link to it in the new forum?
I'm assuming that all links to the same thread would be identical, so perhaps the site software could state automatically if that link was already in the list? I dunno, just thinking allowed.:rolleyes:

Skip I am not answering for Jeff but my thoughts are he does the hidden polls because some people are swayed by others votes. If a poll is heavily favored one way people think they need to vote that way. There are also alot of people who vote that do not comment.

As far as the showing of the pens and answering questions goes, I think if you show your pen in that forum you can link to your answer in the segmenting forum or reference it in some way.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Skip... Jeff always does his polls hidden. The results will show when he closes the poll.

I know that. :rolleyes: I simply asked why.

Because I think that knowing how others voted affects how people vote. I would rather have an honest opinion rather than the "jump on the bandwagon" selection.

jttheclockman

Mack you could have voted no feeling either way. But fair enough. Point taken. Maybe someday you will come over to the world of segmenting. Its fun.

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Mack you could have voted no feeling either way. But fair enough. Point taken. Maybe someday you will come over to the world of segmenting. Its fun.
Hi John; I'm sure it is fun for those that enjoy it. While I would love to do it, I don't have the exactness and imagination that segmenting requires. I will be lurking there though!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Skip... Jeff always does his polls hidden. The results will show when he closes the poll.

I know that. :rolleyes: I simply asked why.

Because I think that knowing how others voted affects how people vote. I would rather have an honest opinion rather than the "jump on the bandwagon" selection.

This thinking is also the reason the media are not allowed to broadcast election results until the polls close. Those who do professional polling have determined that knowing who is leading WILL affect the way some people vote. It will also lead some people to abstain from voting, on the "I can't change the results anyhow" reasoning.

sgimbel

I'm just trying segmenting and so far everything seeems to blow up. I'd love to see detailed instructions or have a place to go ask questions. Jeff your the man.

mwhatch

Segmenting should not be limited to pens. I have seen some beautifully segmented bowls and vases and am getting ready to try my hand at that before I do a pen.

Morton

jttheclockman

Segmenting should not be limited to pens. I have seen some beautifully segmented bowls and vases and am getting ready to try my hand at that before I do a pen.

Morton

Morton, so true and for one want so desperately to learn segmenting on other things. I have all of Malcolm Tibbets books and DVDs and belong to his site. I just need to find the timne to dedicate to this and I plan on it when I retire in 15 months along with a whole list of other projects.:)

In this case being a pen turning site I think we should concentrate on the pens but alot of what is done in the other projects can be incorporated into pens and that is why I am so wanting to explore that artform for sure. Like I said the sky is the limit when it comes to decorating a pen barrel and I think we have only scratched the surface. I am hoping some great examples can show up here along with people willing to share their methods ans teach us along the way.

I feel strongly about this and hope I am not disappointed. I will contribute as much as I can and hope others will too.

Lets do it.

jttheclockman

Not sure if that is needed but if it can be done and the powers at the top see fit so be it. But what I envision this forum to do is from here on out we ask all segmenting questions here. We show techniques here. We toss ideas here. Now if you want to show the pen in the Show Your Pen forum then do so and put some sort of link or note that questions will be answered here. All comments can be made there. You can also post photo of pen in question here to make things simple.

Just tossing ideas around. I am sure if this goes through that some formal format can be set up by Jeff.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
I ended the poll a little early because the result was clear. I'll be creating a segmenting forum soon.

I'm going to create a new first level forum called "Blank Making" and put the existing "Casting & Stabilization" and the new "Segmenting" forums under it. Additional blank making topics that deserve their own forum will then have a place to go.

jttheclockman

Jeff, first thanks for listening. Also thanks for doing this and taking a step further with the subforums. I think that will work just great.

Next I want to thank all that voted and have to say I am impressed by the numbers. I think this shows that there is strong interest in taking this segmentaion thing to a new level. I think it can be done and I think we may have just opened pandoras box and let some fresh ideas out. Hopefully the ideas and willingness to share their ideas will be strong. We have seen over the past couple years there are some very talented segmenters here and hopefully with people posting their work it will draw more people out. I have been on a few other forums and seen some great segmenting work and some of these people are members here. For the life of me I do not know why they are afraid to show their work here. Hopefully this fear subsides.

Thanks again Jeff and lets all make this happen.

Jeff, one thing that was mentioned in one of the posts is the regard to limiting the viewing to members only. I strongly would be in favor of this and I am sure many others would too. Is this something that is possible???

Last edited:

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Jeff, first thanks for listening. Also thanks for doing this and taking a step further with the subforums. I think that will work just great.

Next I want to thank all that voted and have to say I am impressed by the numbers. I think this shows that there is strong interest in taking this segmentaion thing to a new level. I think it can be done and I think we may have just opened pandoras box and let some fresh ideas out. Hopefully the ideas and willingness to share their ideas will be strong. We have seen over the past couple years there are some very talented segmenters here and hopefully with people posting their work it will draw more people out. I have been on a few other forums and seen some great segmenting work and some of these people are members here. For the life of me I do not know why they are afraid to show their work here. Hopefully this fear subsides.

Jeff, one thing that was mentioned in one of the posts is the regard to limiting the viewing to members only. I strongly would be in favor of this and I am sure many others would too. Is this something that is possible???

Yes, that's possible, but why? There are a number of reasons I'm not in favor of that, mostly related to search engine indexing and linkbacks. I'm willing to listen to a reasoned argument, but if the reason is to "keep people from stealing our ideas" I think that a members-only forum is a completely false sense of security for that.

jttheclockman

Yes, that's possible, but why? There are a number of reasons I'm not in favor of that, mostly related to search engine indexing and linkbacks. I'm willing to listen to a reasoned argument, but if the reason is to "keep people from stealing our ideas" I think that a members-only forum is a completely false sense of security for that.

I realize that anyone can register and steal ideas. If something is posted on the net it is always opened for theft and that is why alot of people do not show their better pens and better ideas. I get it.

But my thoughts are why allow anyone to come and view our work. Make them become members if they want to see what we are doing on the site. Some people come here as guests and maybe say I am interested in segmenting or casting too, maybe I should join. Not just show anyone if they stop by. There are alot of sites that you can not view photos of anything unless a member. I know of a well known scrollsawing site and its membership is fantastic. I don't see it as a hinderance but a boost to membership. Now I do not know about the things you mentioned but those are my thoughts.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
In a few minutes, you'll see a new forum Blank Making, appear in the forum list. In there I'll move Casting & Stabilization and the new Segmenting forum.

You will be able to post in the Blank Making forum directly, as well as in the two subforums.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Top Bottom