Seems like it's been slow

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
So I thought I would pass on this tip/obseravtion I just discovered.
Did you know that if you drop a Zippo lighter ina cup of coffee ,after you fish the lighter out it, still works?
Also since the lighter works I tried the coffee.
I did not detect any taste of lighter fluid.
If you don't believe try it for yourself.
Just thought I would pass this on.
(The lighter was closed at the time)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Boyd

Another little know fact is you can use a cordless drill underwater. I had to drill two holes for a new drain cover in a pool and the drill worked flawlessly[:D] The drill is still going after 2 years. Another little known fact. Fat people cannot stay at the bottom of a pool as easily as when they were skinny[xx(]

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Jim Boyd
<br />Another little know fact is you can use a cordless drill underwater. I had to drill two holes for a new drain cover in a pool and the drill worked flawlessly[:D] The drill is still going after 2 years. Another little known fact. Fat people cannot stay at the bottom of a pool as easily as when they were skinny[xx(]

This is quite impressive since you had to exert pressure against the surface you were trying to drill into.
Was it a Ryobi drill per chance?

rtparso

Fun in the lab. You can put any electrical motors in ultra pure (less than &lt;5 ppm TDS for you engineering and scince types) and it will work fine IN THE WATER. Water that pure is nonconductive. Or more practical if a piece of electrical or eclectronic equipment has somthing spilled on it (like someones coffee)you can clean it up with DI water (demineralized at the water store).

Tangboy5000

Finally someone that knows what I'm talking about. Water does not conduct electricity, it's the dissolved salts and other elements that do. I'm still not taking an electric drill in the swimming pool though.[:D]

rtparso

DI water will take the oil (and lots of minerals) out of you skin real quick. It compares with washing your hands with acetone. Drinking it also has some bad gastronomical effects. So I would not be swimming in it.

Jim Boyd

Originally posted by cteaglesc
<br />
Originally posted by Jim Boyd
<br />Another little know fact is you can use a cordless drill underwater. I had to drill two holes for a new drain cover in a pool and the drill worked flawlessly[:D] The drill is still going after 2 years. Another little known fact. Fat people cannot stay at the bottom of a pool as easily as when they were skinny[xx(]

This is quite impressive since you had to exert pressure against the surface you were trying to drill into.
Was it a Ryobi drill per chance?
LOL! It was really tough to do and required 2 5 gallon buckets of sand to hold me down enough to drill the holes. The drill is a B&D Firestorm.

BigRob777

Man, you guys must really be bored.[:D] You should discuss something that is important, in trying times like these, like: "How many holes are there in a sea rations creacker?" Or, "It is smarter to turn the breaker off, before you stick a screw driver in an outlet box!" That one sent my screwdriver flying accross the room. Glad I wasn't standing in a pool at the time.[:D]

Jim,
I know what you mean, but it's been a loooooooong time since I was lean.[:0]

PS That sea rat's cracker question was reportedly on a promotion exam for Corporals in the USMC. Fortunately, I wasn't asked that one, back when I was a Jar-Head.[:p]

Randy_

Originally posted by rtparso<br />...You can put any electrical motors in ultra pure (less than &lt;5 ppm TDS for you engineering and scince types) and it will work fine IN THE WATER.

I am reasonably certain that swimming pool water is not that pure and the reason you can get away with using a cordless drill is because they operate at a relatively low voltage. I would not try that trick with a regular drill and an extension cord!!!

The other concern I have is that most pools do have chemicals dissolved in the water and while you may not electrocute yourself, the water may turn out to be corrosive to the innards of the drill. Both chlorine and salt used as sanitizers are quite corrosive....check out a piece of hardware that has been in your pool for a while and made out of a metal other than stainless steel. I believe that if I were going to try this venture, I would hold back my $200 DeWalt in favor of a $20 Chinese special from the local pawn shop!!

rtjw

I know what you mean, but it's been a loooooooong time since I was lean.[:0]

I agree completely. I went to the doctor the other day and for the first time I gained 9 pounds. I cant believe it. Now I weigh in at a bulky 164. Whew, thought I'd never get past 160!!!!

angboy

Are there a bunch of Snapple drinkers here? It sounds like the "Snapple facts" that I read everyday when I drink my two or three Diet Peach Snapples! Some of the things I've learned:

Alaska has the highest percentage of people that walk to work.
You have to play ping-pong for 12 hours to lose one pound!
Beavers can hold their breathe for 45 MINUTES!! (would be quite helpful drilling underwater)
Mosquitos are attracted to people who have recently eaten bananas.
Flamingos turn pink from eating shrimp.
The bullfrog is the only animal that never sleeps (wonder how many pens he's been able to make- he's got the time!)
And then there was one about weighing less/weighing more at sea level versus on the top of a mountain, but sorry guys I can't remember which you need to go to gain/lose/accomplish your personal goal!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom