Seeking some help from Kiwis

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cwalker935

I am planning a trip to New Zealand and am hoping to pick up some local wood to ship back to the US. I am hoping for some suggested sources for wood in the Auckland, Christchurch or Queenstown areas. I would also like any information on shipping restrictions and best ways to ship wood to the US. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I won't be much help, but I can say when my daughter when there several years ago for a student teaching job, she brought me back a piece of 50,000 year old Kauri wood. It wasn't very expensive, you would never know it was 50,000 years old. Very light weight, very soft wood.

Mike

Charlie_W

I thought I heard somewhere that if there is no bark, you may have a better chance of bringing it through customs...as bugs hide in the bark.
I an not knowledgeable about what woods may be banned.
Good luck!

junosdad

Direct your Google-fu towards the Customs and Border Protection website (or just drop in if you have an office close-by....easier to ask in person). You're looking for CITES requirements, which covers what must be accomplished in order to import things like...wood. I would expect that you'll have to have them certified as having been 'processed' for bugs, which involves the wood being fumigated in a specific manner. (I recently imported some items from Bali and had to go through this step for the pallet that the [non-wood] items were on).

The lesson learned in my experience was...it is doable, if not cost-effective. I would inquire with a local import company that ships things stateside if you can piggy back something into one of their containers. You'll have to be patient, but it might well reduce the amount of work and expense.

Good luck!

robutacion

I don't know if this will be much help but I can contact a friend that goes there often to buy woods and have them shipped to Australia (Queensland), and he may give a few contacts, will see...!

There are few things that will be trouble to you when trying to enter the USA Customs, and that is the wood borer signs and tree bark still attached, that will not pass, unless they offer fumigation or any other treatment to the wood at a cost, other times that offer is not an option and they simply destroy it.

This problem will become increased if you try to have the wood in your luggage, sizes restrictions may apply and again, any signs of fine sawdust/wood borer holes and bark will get you into troubles.

One of the things you should do regardless of what anyone may say is to go online and check wood export rules out of New Zealand and wood import rules into the USA, those are the most important points you need to worry about.

As for buying native wood in New Zealand, long gone are the days one could go there and buy lots of expensive/rare woods for a fraction of the price, however, that is no longer the case, the timber guys that had the good wood, they know its value and charge accordingly, in my view going there to buy wood would only work/be feasible if you have lots of money and ways to move lots of wood, such as a 24' container, the "volume" would compensate for the costs but small amounts in my view no so much.

If I was to go there to buy some woods, I would do so for the difficulty in getting some woods such as the birdseye Huon Pine outside New Zealand, going there to select the product from the source, would be in my view the biggest advantage but I would also expect to pay high dollar plus the shipping costs.

I don't want to discourage you, after all, you seem to need to go there for other reason(s) so, looking around would be interesting but remember, they know what they've got, if you know what I mean...!:biggrin::wink:

Best of luck,

Cheers
George

It's been years since I worked in the industry, retired in 2005, but in the days of my work, to import vegetable matter, wood, plants, ,etc... you needed a Phytosanitary certificate and all such imports went through the US Dept of Agriculture, plus customs... things may have changed and may not apply to smaller quantities of goods.

Suggest you contact a local forwrarding company in one of those cities and they can give you regulations. Sorry, but no longer have my contacts list to give your names... the only one that comes to mind is MSAS and haven't had any dealings with them in many years... at one time was one of largest companies out of the area. ..

And you are correct on the no bark thing... I had to fumigate all wood that went into Australia, even though the boxes were plywood, the pallets were processed wood and usually had no bark....

Top Bottom