Second attempt comparison

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

smik

Blank on right heading in the right direction. Still needs improvement and I introduced another issue that needs fixed.

Attachments

• mc-comparison-reduced.jpg
    mc-comparison-reduced.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 339
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

smik

Lewis - I'm planning on. Going to buy ticket at the door. I have to correct an issue I'm getting on the blanks, and improve them. If I do will bring some. Any preferences on other design types. I'm curious what others are interested in. Was going to do the cycle, but am open to other design ideas.

They do look very cool, I too hope you make it to the MPG, Id love to see them first hand! I can think of quite a few other designs that would be great! For instance, Ive got a few buddies that are Vespa scooter nuts, and having a scooter on the blank would make them very happy to have a pen!

smik

They do look very cool, I too hope you make it to the MPG, Id love to see them first hand! I can think of quite a few other designs that would be great! For instance, Ive got a few buddies that are Vespa scooter nuts, and having a scooter on the blank would make them very happy to have a pen!

Thanks for feedback, I'll see what I can come up with.

smik

Smik, both look great, just curious, how'd you do it? hand carved?

Thanks. I purchase the artwork then use a cnc router with a 4th axis to cut the image. I was trying to find a way to enhance the images and recently thought of using this method. Its still a work in progress.

stuckinohio

I thought the Eagle was great too. I can't remember if you did a flag, but a thin blue line flag would be awesome too.

I see you must have painted the blank red before carving, then the parts that you want to be red must be the high spot?

Might work with a flag as well.

Lewis

smik

I thought the Eagle was great too. I can't remember if you did a flag, but a thin blue line flag would be awesome too.

I see you must have painted the blank red before carving, then the parts that you want to be red must be the high spot?

Lewis
The blanks are all wood. I have to look at height maps and determine what veneer thickness will leave what after I cut. I'm sorta doing segmenting. At the last Ohio meet Mark James showed the equipment he uses to make his blanks. I ordered that drum sander and waiting on delivery. I attempted some aluminum this afternoon to try to give some chrome appearance. No go, need to change the method. I'll try to make some blanks without the veneering, certain patterns seem to work out.

stuckinohio

Lewis
The blanks are all wood. I have to look at height maps and determine what veneer thickness will leave what after I cut. I'm sorta doing segmenting. At the last Ohio meet Mark James showed the equipment he uses to make his blanks. I ordered that drum sander and waiting on delivery. I attempted some aluminum this afternoon to try to give some chrome appearance. No go, need to change the method. I'll try to make some blanks without the veneering, certain patterns seem to work out.

Hope you get the kinks worked out. I was at the last meeting also. Sitting in the second row and got a new click mechanism from Mike Broberg who was sitting in the front row.

Lewis

smik

Lewis
Here's a first cut try at a blue line flag with grunge look. Unfortunately didnt have anything blue around, dye or wood. Let me know what you think of the pattern. The blue line will be on the stripe under the stars same width.
I was seated in back, have grey hair, grey goatee, with grey jacket, sitting next to the grey bandsaw.

Attachments

• -r.jpg
    -r.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 131
Top Bottom