Seasonal thread locked????????????

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Jeff-
I just read for the first time "My Brithday is Coming" thread and saw that it was locked.
Your opening statement
"I've received a number of emails suggesting that the first post in this topic is a lot more preachy than necessary to convey holiday greetings. Here's an email excerpt that says it pretty well."

Has me wondering something.
What was the ratio of the number of e-mails in proportion to the contributing number of members of the forum?
Also If a larger number of members wrote you expressing their dissatisfaction with you locking the thread qwould you open it up again?
Shuld we just skip the 25th of december and go to the 26th?
There was nothing offensive in that thread and the fact you locked it shows you caved to a minority of the members.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rfreeouf

I would be interested in ho many e-mails you received about having the post removed?

The post seemed appropriate for the season. I can understand why people would want it locked. I also see a movement to remove the word "Christmas" and replace it with the word "Holiday" with some of the national retailers.

Religion can be a touchy subject at the same time I didn't any negative posts but rather many compliments on Micah sharing the greeting.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
O.K. Dead cats and Jesus's birthday are out
Got it!
Would it be O.K. to aks a blessing for this this forum if I started with,
"To whom it may concern if indeed you do exist?"
Just wondering.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by cteaglesc
<br />O.K. Dead cats and Jesus's birthday are out
Got it!
Would it be O.K. to aks a blessing for this this forum if I started with,
"To whom it may concern if indeed you do exist?"
Just wondering.
Eagle,

You're not wondering at all, you're just spinning my words and stirring the pot. Your comment that "Jesus's birthday is out" has absolutely no basis in fact. I have said nothing of the kind, anywhere, ever on this forum.

Please tell me where I've said that it is not OK to mention Jesus or Christmas. I have not said anything of the sort. Using your logic, getting a ticket for speeding is being told that you can't drive at all.

The one thing I did say was that 23 paragraph stories that use some roundabout way to say "Jesus is the reason for the season" were not appreciated. Trying to use some corny, guilt-trip story to emphasize a religious message is just not something I'm willing to tolerate here. Anyone who believes that means that I am anti-religion or anti-Christmas is not thinking clearly.

Why is ANY request to "tone it down" interpreted as a draconian demand to be politically correct.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
"Why is ANY request to "tone it down" interpreted as a draconian demand to be politically correct."
Because that is EXACTLY how it comes across.
Micahs post offended none of the repliers yet the thread was locked due to dome e-mails you received.
Again I ask, What was the number compared to members who frequent this forum?
You never answered.
I suggest if you have the inclination to censor an off topic forum, you close it, otherwise don't yield to the voice of a minority in the interest of appeasing everyone, it aint gonna happen.
There are some of us that do appreciate Carlinesque Humor and its' attempt to show what this season has become.
For those that had issues with Micahs post,
get a life.

Micahs post had 277 veiws an 12 replies including Jeffs.I don't know how many views it had when it was locked but I do wonder if Jeff received 12 e-mails taking offense with it.I doubt it.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
<br />"Why is ANY request to "tone it down" interpreted as a draconian demand to be politically correct."
Because that is EXACTLY how it comes across.
Micahs post offended none of the repliers yet the thread was locked due to dome e-mails you received.
Again I ask, What was the number compared to members who frequent this forum?
You never answered.
I suggest if you have the inclination to censor an off topic forum, you close it, otherwise don't yield to the voice of a minority in the interest of appeasing everyone, it aint gonna happen.
There are some of us that do appreciate Carlinesque Humor and its' attempt to show what this season has become.
For those that had issues with Micahs post, get a life.
Eagle,

I GOT 7 EMAILS. ONE WOULD HAVE BEEN ENOUGH.

Here's what I said: I have to agree that it's a little much. Religion is a very personal thing, and sharing one's beliefs in an international, public forum can be tricky business. None of the members who wrote are against religion or Christmas or free speech, they're just asking that it be a little less intense.

If that doesn't come across as a gentle nudge, I don't know what would. I said it was "a little much" and I'd appreciate if it were "a little less intense".

What obligation does anyone have to POST their complaint? I'm happy people don't always post their concerns and subject themselves to this kind of nonsense. I have thicker skin than most anyone you'll find and I'm happy to take the heat for doing the right thing. I don't want people to feel attacked for expressing a concern.

People write to me expressing a concern or opinion, and I decide whether or not to take action. People who write to me demanding that a thread get deleted or locked, or a member get banned, get absolutely nowhere with me.

For the record, I don't yield to the voice of a minority. I try to even-handedly run a forum where nobody feels marginalized.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
"For the record, I don't yield to the voice of a minority. I try to even-handedly run a forum where nobody feels marginalized."

I GOT 7 EMAILS. ONE WOULD HAVE BEEN ENOUGH.

One woould have been enough yet you don't yield to the voice of a minrity?
You want to rethink that statement?

JimGo

One woould have been enough yet you don't yield to the voice of a minrity?
You want to rethink that statement?

I'm just guessing, but I'd bet Jeff gets more letters of complaint asking that you be kicked off of IAP than complements about you Eagle. Would you prefer that he also not yield to the voice of a minority in that matter, and simply remove you? Or is it actually true that, in some cases, the minority makes a point that makes things better for all involved? For example, as much as I get frustrated by your attempts to turn this into your own sounding board, and as much as I see your pen-related posts as an attempt to prove your superiority over others, I do think you make positive contributions here and wouldn't want to see you banned. However, I know for a fact that others do not share my opinion.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Shopuld Jeff choose to remove me or not his his ddescision, I will continue to do my best at what I like to do.
If you notice there are some who do not post as regularly as before and they have not been removed but I had nothing to do with it.It is their choice.
I have said many times if you cannot separate my craftsmanship from my personality it's your loss not mine.
My pens will still be made whether they get posted here or not,I will still be able to view most of the forum sites but not post.
Who will lose the most?
Merry "C" word(the rest of the sentiment left out ass to not offend the P.C. members of this forum regardless of their religous persuaion or the lack of. I guess I didn't cover my bases with athiests and agnostics.
I hope you have a lousy holiday season

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
One woould have been enough yet you don't yield to the voice of a minrity? You want to rethink that statement?
Eagle, you should be a political consultant! You take a snippet of what I said, and turn it back on me out of context.

I thought it was clear. If ONE person cares enough about something to write to me, I LOOK INTO IT. I don't automatically take action.

JimGo

<br />I have said many times if you cannot separate my craftsmanship from my personality it's your loss not mine.
I hope you have a lousy holiday season
It is quotes like this last one that make it difficult to separate the craftsmanship from the personality. Unlike you, I have always wished you a Merry Christmas and a Happy Holiday season (including not only Christmas, but also New Years). It's a shame you have to resort to personal attacks, rather than having an intellectually honest conversation. When you'd like to step back up to the intellectual level, I'd be happy to have the conversation with you on or off the forum.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by cteaglescMerry "C" word(the rest of the sentiment left out as to not offend the P.C. members of this forum regardless of their religous persuaion or the lack of.

Eagle - Not a single post has been made suggesting that "Merry Christmas" should not be used here. I have not gotten a single email complaining about anyone saying "Merry Christmas". What are you talking about with the "C word" reference?

Penturners.org welcomes the phrase "Merry Christmas" [:D]

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Jeff-
sinse the original Birthday thread was offesive to some I felt it best to play it safe.
I choose NOT to live in a PC world.
I have found that when a person speaks their true feelings it is easier to know what they mean rather than trying to read their nonoffensive minds.
The fact that Micah wanted to share a really intellegent "open letter", one I had never seen before, and his thread got "locked" for fear of what I don't know. 7 count em 7 people wrote you and you chose to lock it and tell us that it will be swept under the rug and silently go away.
Pure P.C. reaction on your part.
What about the rest of the posters who oputnumbered those who wrote?
Have any kind of"C" season you want.

Ron Mc

First off I want all parties of this thread to understand that I am not trying to stir the pot. But, I would like to say something that I have been watching for the last few years. That is the fact that we all have to walk on egg shells to not offend anyone during the Holiday Season. I'll be darned if I'll do that. Probably 95% of the members of this group understand why we are celebrating the Season and there is absolutely no reason that we should cower behind a rock just because a few out there may take offence. So, What will happen if I name my next pen "Gods love", or "Christs awakening"? I am a Christian and darn proud of it and I am shocked that other members of this site have allowed this thread to get to this point and have left Eagle hanging. Truly ashamed.
Now remember, I am not trying to stir the pot I am just making a statement as to how this thread looks and my opinion.

its_virgil

Three years ago a newly wed couple who lived next door had their first Christmas while there. When they discarded their tree and wnt to the alley and cut off a 1 ft section and cut it into pen blanks and let them season until the next Christmas. I made them each a pen from their first Christmas tree as a gift. We have since moved and I see the couple around town from time to time and they still tell me how how special those two pens are. I'll bet someday, those pens are family heirlooms. Go for it.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

rtjw

Originally posted by Ron Mc
<br />I am a Christian and darn proud of it and I am shocked that other members of this site have allowed this thread to get to this point and have left Eagle hanging. Truly ashamed.

I dont think Eagle needs any backing. But he knows who has his![;)]

tinker

If the emailers were truly offended, why the heck did they read it and think everyone would be offended? Unlock the thread for goodness sakes!
Censoring religious statements is sweeping the country that was founded in religion and the freedom to chose yours.
Tell the offended to get over themselves and move on to another thread. The minority isn't going to dictate to the majority. If they do, I will not bother to visit or contribute further.
BTW: did the offended make contributions to the site or the charity contest? If so, maybe that is the motivation to cower to them. Just guessing.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by tinker
<br />If the emailers were truly offended, why the heck did they read it and think everyone would be offended? Unlock the thread for goodness sakes!
Censoring religious statements is sweeping the country that was founded in religion and the freedom to chose yours.
Tell the offended to get over themselves and move on to another thread. The minority isn't going to dictate to the majority. If they do, I will not bother to visit or contribute further.
BTW: did the offended make contributions to the site or the charity contest? If so, maybe that is the motivation to cower to them. Just guessing.
You might want to read my post about tolerance. Your post is an example of exactly the kind of attitude that gets us in trouble.

BTW, I don't provide favorable treatment in exchange for donations.

its_virgil

Use a scraper on the plastic[:D]
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by woodwish
<br />Don, that is really a neat story. You certainly made it a special gift for them. I wonder if i could do the same with our newlywed friend's plastic tree?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom