Sandpaper

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tage

So where do you get your sandpaper? I've been buying, and like the purple sandpaper from HD, but it's expensive. I bought one a box of sandpaper rolls in various grits from one of the vendors here, but really didn't like it. Didn't last long and clogged very easily.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan Masshardt

I have some abranet and it's excellent.

The sandpaper I use the most though is the foam backed festool sandpaper that I get from woodcraft. The quality is great.

wyone

I am looking for a source for 2 inch and 3 inch round velcro sandpaper disks. I found the foam back made to fit a drill and they are velcro. I think I want to make the self powered disk sander that Capt Eddie shows on his instructions, but I have to find a source of paper now

Dan Masshardt

I am looking for a source for 2 inch and 3 inch round velcro sandpaper disks. I found the foam back made to fit a drill and they are velcro. I think I want to make the self powered disk sander that Capt Eddie shows on his instructions, but I have to find a source of paper now

I bought the csusa apprentice set and it seems pretty good. Comes with the foam back insert and a case.

Dan Masshardt

Dan are you using a drill or did you make a self powered sanding fixture?

I've been using the drill with good results. Talking about bowls mainly.

I also recently got the sorby sandmaster for a birthday gift which is a self powered unit. Need to use it more but it seems useful as well.

I think - for bowls - I'll probably end up power sanding with the drill with the lower grits then moving to the sorby.

I also have 2" air sander but don't like that nearly as much.

toddlajoie

I buy regular 8"x10" sheets of wet/dry sandpaper (the black stuff) and cut it into 4"x1" strips. I usually buy 2 sheets each of 320, 400, 600, 800 & 1200, and use about 1 strip of each on each pen (tho I often skip the 320 and go strait to 400...) I do find that I often may use 2 or 3 strips of 400 depending on the wood, so I have to replenish that a bit more frequently. I think the sheets go for 30 or 40 cents a piece at Woodcraft, which for me is cheap enough ( a couple of bucks lasts several months for me...) that I don't worry about looking for cheaper ways to buy it or feel the need to buy in bulk, and it being inexpensive, I don't have to worry about getting the most out of every piece and keeping track of half used strips...

thewishman

I use Norton 3X. I get the 20 sheet boxes and cut it into 3/4" x 4" strips. It goes on sale at Woodcraft and I stock up. Sandpaper is a tool and I like the way the 3X performs.

wyone

so what is the preferred method of cutting the sandpaper? I have been going to make a jog with a hacksaw blade, but I never get around to it and then need the paper so I rip by hand which is NOT effective

toddlajoie

buy a cheap paper cutter, or find one at a garage sale... the paper will dull the blade pretty quickly, but it only needs to be somewhat pointy ( I would hesitate to say "sharp" in any way, as we turners have varying opinions on what "sharp is...) to cut, more important is that the blade is tight to the cutter.

I've used both the guillotine type (the ones you saw the teachers using in grammar school) and the ones with the rotary cutters, and I think the rotary cutters work better for sandpaper, plus they are a bit easier to control with smaller pieces.

thewishman

so what is the preferred method of cutting the sandpaper? I have been going to make a jog with a hacksaw blade, but I never get around to it and then need the paper so I rip by hand which is NOT effective

I use a pair of scissors that my wife had finished with. Before cutting, I make lines on the back of the paper with markers - purple for 320 and green for 400.

Top Bottom