Sad Tale (Long vent)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveG

By now I have managed to accept an unfortunate series of events, but lack one thing…I need to vent! By sharing my mess with my friends at IAP I hope to accomplish the vent…and then be done with it. I recently packed up and moved from Kauai to Oregon to be located where I can accommodate having my elderly Dad live with me. Mission accomplished…and happy. He now lives with me, and that is ALL GOOD!. Now, the vent…

In October 2017, I abruptly became aware of my need to move to the mainland, in support of Dad. As I prepped to move, I set a reasonable (I thought) time schedule and went about prepping, packing, and closing out my pen making business. Many of you benefitted from my kit and vintage materials selloff. In that sale, I held back a small amount of "Private Reserve".

I am significantly restricted physically, capable of about two productive hours of work in a day, but that includes being exhausted and in pain the whole time. I overestimated my ability to accomplish my move, and toward the end of the Kauai phase was able to accomplish very little, as deadlines came and went. The BIG deadline was the day I departed the island. At that point I had gone near brain-dead, was physically and mentally exhausted. Surprised I was not curled up in a ball in a back room somewhere! Being in that state, I left behind nearly ALL of the smaller electric and hand tools which I had acquired and upgraded over five decades of woodworking and pen making. These were to become my hobby tools as I entered full retirement in Oregon. ALL are gone! To get the scope of this travesty, consider a partial list of what I no longer own: 10 lathe chisels, 3 Nova chucks, many face plates, numerous lathe accessory items. Power drills(4), 4"grinder, circular saw, jig saw, rotary tool, belt sander, 115 pc ($300) Norseman SP drill bit set, Full set of special kit size drill bits, lathe lights, countless small tools, 2000 pen blanks(High grade) and numerous vintage and one-of-a-kind rods. The list could go on, but you get the idea. Fully replacing these is beyond my financial ability, as I no longer am producing regular income, and the loss approaches $10,000. At least I did keep the stationary power tools. I can go look at them! I intend a small-scale replacement (~$2500) of the lost items.

Enough of this. Vent done. I totally blame me for not gauging my ability to get the full job done. I had much help locally from friends in my congregation. Very thankful. Time for moving on! Not looking for sympathy so much as getting this vent vented! Job complete.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rockb

Man Steve..you've been through the ringer. Glad we could be here for you...sometimes letting it out is helpful.
So...what's your major "need" right now. I might have something you could use.
Hang in there, Rocky

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Not an easy post to read, but I understand your need to vent. I hope for the best for you and your dad considering your circumstances.

mrburls

So sorry to hear this Steve. I can feel your pain. Moving is not easy till you actually do it yourself. You think you will have the time when you plan it all out. I did this twice, once moving myself (along with the shop) and then again when I moved my dad to live with me to take care of him (from Pa. to Tx.).
There is always more to do as dead line approaches, especially when selling a house. This can really take a toll on you mentally and physically.
And for me recently deciding to sell off some of my inventory for pen making since I don't do shows anymore. Now I didn't loose anything but just thinking what if I do decide to get back into it. Some of those materials are not easy to replace.
This is kind of like a vent for myself!!!
I'll be thinking of you as you may try to replace some of your things down the road.
Keith

leehljp

Member Liaison
Venting helps unload some mental strain, and you have some people here who will listen.

When I left Japan in lat 2010, I left behind a couple of drills, two routers, a slow speed grinder, two air compressors, a pressure/vacuum tank, a 12 inch Sears bandsaw that the blade tilts instead of the table, plus several other tools that I miss to this day. I really miss that BS as I loved cutting angles on a level table.

IF you need more venting, we are here!

Gwatson50

From the islands to Oregon is an adjustment in itself... although both are beautiful they are very different. I have moved dozens of times, Marines, new careers, divorce. I got so that if I wasn't moving I felt strange! Anyway, if you feel like there is something in particular you need I may have an extra... my shop is such a disaster i May have two of everything!

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

SteveG

Thanks to all of you: some who responded in this thread, some by way of PM and those who simply gave a listening ear by reading of my experience. To you who have offered some item(s) to help offset the loss, it is very touching, and deeply appreciated. You all are a great group, and made my 'Vent' process complete. I did not post this seeking "stuff", rather just to say what I have said in the midst of fellow pen turners, knowing you would listen and empathize. So I call it good: mission accomplished.

THANKS!

Time to get up and get going. I know how to put a shop together. Being that this all started in Hawaii, I send a warm Aloha to each of you.

Steve

magpens

I am really sorry to hear about this, Steve ... and I am feeling very personally involved ... you would know why.

Can you possibly find a way to contact the new occupant of your Kauai house and work out a way to recover at least some of your lost items ? . I know there would be a lot of factors at play in such ... but worth a try. . However, I am sure you have already thought along these lines.

SteveG

Thanks all who have offered good wishes and suggestions. At this point, I have no recourse for the losses. Things of value quickly disappeared with no consideration by those able to prevent the loss. My friends helped, and those who I thought were friends failed to be so. :eek::eek:
It is over...just time now to move on. I only posted this thread when I had finally gotten myself to that point. I am actually moving forward. Thanks again to all with an empathetic ear. I am doing good now, and really enjoying being a friend and son to my elderly Dad. The important stuff is good! :)

Steve

Top Bottom