Sad News - Rich Kleinhenz

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
I am very sorry to report that Richard Kleinhenz (scubaman here) has died. His obituary is here.

Rich was a very important person in the penmaking world. He was the founder of the Yahoo Penturners group, which for many years was the only on-line resource for penturners. Rich and I first met 15 years ago when Scott and I started the IAP, and although it was a competitor to the Yahoo group, he supported our community. Rich was also one of the founding members of the Pen Makers Guild, and is the author of The Pen Turner's Bible. If you read his obit, you'll see he was quite a fascinating guy.

I apologize if this was already posted here, but I looked and I couldn't find anything.

RIP, Rich.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Thank you, Jeff.

Rich was also the motivating force behind our Cancer Awareness Project. When he became aware of his multiple myeloma, he contacted Dawn and I on a Sunday night and asked us to help him make others aware of the risks.

He outlived his expectations, he wanted others to get an earlier diagnosis.

Sorry to see him pass!

Last edited:

greenacres2

Thanks Jeff. So many of us have benefitted greatly from Rich and people like him. What a fascinating life he lived!! I'm blessed to have a supply of burls I received from him, I pledge to honor them even more now.
earl

its_virgil

A fascinating guy for sure. Not many know in what all Rich was involved. He was on very unique man. Thanks Rich for all you have done for so many in the penturning community. We had met several times over the years... R.I.P. my friend.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

magpens

VERY sorry to hear of the passing away of Rich, a fellow penmaker and a fellow Physicist.

Sincere condolences to Rich's family.

Last edited:

Bryguy

Sorry to hear of Rich's passing. He was a true gentleman, a master craftsman and a pioneer pen maker. His passing is a great loss for this community.

Paul in OKC

Never met him in person, but visited through many emails and a couple of phone calls. I remember talking with him about 20 years ago about making my own acrylic blanks. No one was doing it then, and we weren't sure how to go about it. Look at us now.
Definitely will be missed.

southernclay

What a beautiful obituary and interesting life. Sad news, I recently bought some items from him and he was a great guy to deal with. Thanks for posting.

scotian12

We are saddened to hear of Rich passing. He was a great influence on the penturning community. I was privileged to have received penturning advice early in my career from Rich. I still have some pen blanks that I purchased from Rich many years ago. We will miss his contribution to our craft. Darrell

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
My condolences. He was one of my main inspirations early on. Met him several times at the DC pen show and always looked forward to speaking with him. RIP.

Scott

This is sad news! Rich was an amazing person! He was a friend. I wouldn't say he was a close friend. He and I butted heads occasionally, mostly over penturning issues. He was brilliant, and such an excellent penturner. He was exacting in his detail, and had so many innovative ideas. He was lightyears ahead of me as a penturner, and I was probably a bit jealous of him, but I never got the feeling he held it against me, or looked down on me. We were both demonstrating as part of the Yahoo Penturners at the 25th Utah Woodturning Symposium, and we got our pens in the book with the likes of Dale Nish and Kip Christiansen. I fondly remember Rich, Kurt Hertzog and myself sitting down for beers. When Rich published his book, he sent me a pre-publication edition. Rich was a good guy, and probably the most accomplished and knowledgeable penturner I have ever known. He was a founder of the Penmakers Guild, which I am also lucky to be a member. We didn't keep in touch, but I am saddened by his departure. Peace be with you Rich!

Scott.

Top Bottom