Sad Day in the BSA

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pjkoths

Though others may not agree . . . Today is a sad day in BSA's history. As over a half a century member I can state that it is a bad thing to allow girls into the BSA - explorers the exception.

It was a choice made by the BSA to keep from going bankrupt, when the Church of the Latter Day Saints pulled out of the program so did the flow of millions of $ from them.

Although I heartily believe it is a bad decision I understand the need for $ the organization requires to stay afloat.

pjkoths

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

indytruks138

No judgment or political bs, but do you mind expounding on why it is a bad idea? I only did cub scouts and maybe a year of boy scouts, but the skills learned seem to be applicable to everyone. I'm genuinely interested in your opinion, not starting a fight. I believe we need to teach girls more things traditionally thought of as only for boys, science, car maintenance, working with tools, and this seems a good start, but I could be off base.

StanBrown

No judgment or political bs, but do you mind expounding on why it is a bad idea? I only did cub scouts and maybe a year of boy scouts, but the skills learned seem to be applicable to everyone. I'm genuinely interested in your opinion, not starting a fight. I believe we need to teach girls more things traditionally thought of as only for boys, science, car maintenance, working with tools, and this seems a good start, but I could be off base.

I remember when I was that age. The hormones were raging. IMHO they are asking for trouble, not to mention the distraction. If it is a matter of learning skills that are applicable to everyone, why can those not be taught in a gender-separated manner? Is it a requirement that boys and girls be mixed together when teaching those skills? Why force an issue that doesn't need encouragement? I haven't noticed the Girl Scouts recruiting boys. Not being judgemental here, just stating facts. I wish them all the best but I fear the worst.

CREID

The world is changing and kids are different nowadays. I have reached the age that it is time to let them figure out what they want just like we did. We turned out ok didn't we. Well, didn't we.:tongue:

To Stan's point, and I'm not making any political statement or do I want to start an argument over who and who shouldn't be a member in the BSA. As a former Scout Master I agree with Stan. Young men and young ladies, high school age, and older, are going through a transition physically, mentally and emotionally. I don't need to expand on this. We've all been through it. There are also logistical issues here with overnight camping trips etc. As a Scout Master I supported young ladies joining the organization however, at several meetings I asked if the moms would be willing to be a "chaperone" on overnight camp outs. There were no takers so the BSA in my area stipulated that any young ladies involved in the Boy Scouts must be chaperoned by an adult female on any and all overnight camp outs. This was aimed at the Explorer Scout program more than at the Troop level. In the more than 5 years I spent as a Scout Master there were never any young ladies who joined the BSA. Not because they weren't allowed, there was no parental support for the Troop Leaders. Again, this was at the Explorer Scout level.

bmachin

Pretty sure that I'm right about this, but subject to correction. As I understand it, there will be no co-ed troops. Separate units will be required for boys and girls.

Bill

pjkoths

1. The BSA currently has a coed program venturing.

2. Though individual troops will not be coed, gatherings such as Jamborees, Camporees can be attended by both. Hormones ravaging running in 13yo+ youth make it difficult to have them focus on the program and not each other.

3. At events that allow coed participation think on how you would manage to keep youth under control during these events (remember they are camping overnight) not necessarily in an organized campground. And remember as an adult leader you are responsible and can be held personally liable.

4. Have I experienced this? Yes! as an adult leader with a US Boy Scout contingent while attending two Canadian BC Yukon Jamborees Coed (Scouts Canada allowing girls).

5. Though what I am concerned with may not be the norm, look at today's society and today's youth they are much more sexually aware and active than was I at that age and maybe you too.

These are my views and my experiences and in no way did I make this post to incite anger in anyone or want to debate pros and cons. My opinion, feelings and perception. And yes I was a Scoutmaster for many years.

Last edited:

jttheclockman

Does this mean we will see Boy Scouts selling Boy Scout cookies??? Chocolate chip would be nice. This stuff has gone too far already. Girls playing on boys teams such as football and baseball now. Whole different world we live in today.

CREID

Does this mean we will see Boy Scouts selling Boy Scout cookies??? Chocolate chip would be nice. This stuff has gone too far already. Girls playing on boys teams such as football and baseball now. Whole different world we live in today.
I never went, but there was a lingerie football league that played about 2 miles from where I used to live in Kent, WA. So, maybe girls playing football aint so bad. :eek::biggrin:

thewishman

As a former scoutmaster and working with young mens programs for many years, 13 to 15 year-old boys are squirrely enough when camping without adding girls to the mix.

As a father of two grown daughters, girls of that age are also squirrely enough without adding boys overnight to the mix.

Leave out the camping and it is still difficult to keep a mixed group of youth focused on a learning activity. People and programs can be successful with mixed groups, in my experience it is hard to do.

PenPal

The LDS Church has more members outside America and as such found in the past difficult to maintain membership outside America for the Boy Scouts.They cease on Dec 31 to be Chartered members.

The Church contributed 33.00 dollars per person or 15 Million Dollars per annum.THey remain members of the Charter for this year.

The Constitution of the BSA headed in another direction some time ago and the LDS Church is unable to sustain these changes.

All decisions involve members world wide and future activities will be within LDS Principles

All official reasoning and withdrawal can be found on the net..

jttheclockman

I never went, but there was a lingerie football league that played about 2 miles from where I used to live in Kent, WA. So, maybe girls playing football aint so bad. :eek::biggrin:

Only you Curt:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Top Bottom