rolling pin

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbwertz

One of my blind turners wants to make a rolling pin. Not one with an axle, just a solid wood rolling pin with turned handles. Any suggestions? The only one piece rolling pens I've seen are the small diameter, tapered rolling pins. The others I'm familiar with have an axle and bearings. Should the handles just be cylindrical, or shaped, for example.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Marcros

I have made a few of the French style this year. it is a nice project- aim for about 18" long, and about 2 inches in diameter. You can feel when the diameter is about right. I use cherry and maple/English sycamore as my favourite timbers to use.

I do them between centres. Round the ends, because that makes them much nicer and more professional than flat ends. I start the tapers about 3" in from each end, and I sand to 600 grit. I finish with tung oil.

https://vermontrollingpins.com/shop/french_rolling_pin.shtml is a good site.

Last edited:

magpens

I would go with the shape that Cody showed for his segmented rolling pin.
You could do some variations on that design.

I would think that stubby axles, one glued into each end, with handles that turn would be an interesting challenge. . Plus it might be easier to use because the handles can be gripped tightly and don't turn with the rolling pin. . My mum had that kind with red handles :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom