Rockler disappointment

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Terredax

Banned
I was able to stop at a Rockler store today. I was optimistic about finding some nice wood for a project I want to get started on. This particular store used to have any type of wood you could imagine, when it was under different ownership and before the Rockler brand took over.
They only had the standard domestic woods and a few of the common exotics. They didn't have any of the spalted woods, burls, or even any birds-eye maple.
Their pen kit selection was lacking, with approximately 10 styles and very limited accessories, i.e. bushings and blanks.

They did seem to be pushing the SawStop. They had 4 of them set up and one for demonstration. There were a few other machines, but the prices were much higher than any other source I've seen.

There were only 2 people there when I walked in, and another 4 or 5 came in while I was browsing, but none of them purchased anything.

My hopeful trip, turned out to be a bust.:frown:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Terredax

Banned
I used to stop there frequently to get wood and all kinds of other supplies for projects. They used to have all kinds of hardware, tools, and finishing supplies, but they now have almost nothing. I've shopped there for nearly 20 years but, it's been a couple of years since I was there last, with the medical problems I encountered.
It's a bit of a drive and I don't get that direction very often anymore, so I was looking forward to making the stop.
I believe that the brick and mortars are going away, and the internet is taking over.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I was at the new Bolingbrook, Il store - which is close to you. It had a very nice pen section with blanks, kits, etc.

Not sure where you went.

Terredax

Banned
I was at the new Bolingbrook, Il store - which is close to you. It had a very nice pen section with blanks, kits, etc.

Not sure where you went.

That would be about a 3 hour trip with no traffic. On a Saturday, there would be heavy traffic, so it would be more like 4 hours.
I wouldn't be able to sit in a car for that long, or I would see about going there.
So with frequent stops, we would have to make a weekend trip out of it. I can't do that either. An hour each way is about the best I can do.
I used to like going to Woodcraft also, but that closed a while ago.
All we have local, is the big box stores.

Herb G

We had a place here run by the same family for over 150 years.
It was an old school lumber company. They would get you any kind of wood you could imagine.

It burned down (some say with a little help) about 7-8 years ago, and they took the insurance money & left town.

There is a Mom & Pop hardware store about 3 miles from my house still left. Sure, their prices are a little higher than the BORGs, but at least they greet you at the door & ask if you need help finding anything.

Top Bottom