Road Trip To Chuck's Cave

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Well Mission successful! Ernie Borraga and I made it to the "scary cave" on Halloween.

I took more pictures, but rotten bandwidth at the hotel prevents more until later today: So here's some teasers.

Attachments

• IMG_2386.jpg
    IMG_2386.jpg
    273.2 KB · Views: 259
  • IMG_2387.jpg
    IMG_2387.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_2388.jpg
    IMG_2388.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 296
  • IMG_2389.jpg
    IMG_2389.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 282
  • IMG_2390.jpg
    IMG_2390.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 291
  • IMG_2391.jpg
    IMG_2391.jpg
    283.5 KB · Views: 286
Sounds like you had a good time Mark. I meet Chuck this week be had lunch with him as he was passing thru town and I know he was really looking forward to you guys coming this weekend. Looking forward to the rest of the pics

Mike

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I'm glad to see that you guys stood over him while he re-learned how to turn again......:biggrin: I see he cleaned up too!!!! :eek:
I'm sure you all had a great time. :)

stonepecker

Looks like a great time. Yes, the pictures show that he can clean up the cave.:highfive:
Can't wait to see the rest of the pictures. :bananen_smilies046:
I hope when I get down there he will show me how that metal lathe works.

I can see he needs some chairs to sit down in at times for a visit.
Hope he gave you a lot of candy for the return trip. :handshake:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Finally got home and took care of the chores...

Hopefully the rest of the pictures will transfer.

As a footnote: This was a pure social visit! Anything pen related was simply extra! And, there was plenty of extras!!!

Ernie has experience with a metal lathe (automotive applications); I had none and was perfectly happy to watch and learn. THIS was cool!!! Not sure I need a metal lathe (I said need, not want), but it was fun to watch and learn! And making a mess in the cave was fun! :)

Ernie had a bunch of off-blanks of Lucite, so although mismatched in color - he forged ahead under the watchful eye of Chuck...:

We made a small mess, and had a great day together!

Thanks for the company Ernie, and thanks for the hospitality Chuck!

Until next time...

Attachments

• IMG_2392.jpg
    IMG_2392.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_2393.jpg
    IMG_2393.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_2394.jpg
    IMG_2394.jpg
    277.7 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_2395.jpg
    IMG_2395.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_2397.jpg
    IMG_2397.jpg
    270.6 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_2396.jpg
    IMG_2396.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_2398.jpg
    IMG_2398.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_2399.jpg
    IMG_2399.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_2400.jpg
    IMG_2400.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 203

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
...That sucker came in handy... Ernie likes to coat everything in Tap/Die Oil while turning... (I like the results).. A learning day!

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Just as an afterthought...

This was a social visit! Pen turning was essential! Making a mess was
essential. The result was inconsequential... We had fun, and it was a great day and a half! (We came back Sun AM to make more mess, after Waffle House :eek:). In IAP we may make nice pens, be we make great friendships - even from afar!!!

Thanks Ernie and Chuck!

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
I had a blast. It didn't matter to me if we turned the lathe on. Chuck is a wealth of knowledge on kitless pens. Hopefully I didn't use all his tap and die oil:eek: It was fun just getting together and shooting the breeze. Even if the wing place doesn't know what bourbon is :)

Attachments

• indy.jpg
    indy.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 117

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Even if the wing place doesn't know what bourbon is :)
... But I thought Bourbon was not make in Kentucky... (Sorry Ernie... :tongue:).

But she knew what a double was... (Bad joke from 2015 MPG between Jeff and Ernie and experienced waitress... NOT. Not: 2 drinks in separate glasses... :eek::tongue:. But, for us old geezers... the lathe was turned off!!! Safety first, friendship next.. come back tomorrow to have more fun.

EBorraga

In Memoriam
Even if the wing place doesn't know what bourbon is :)
... But I thought Bourbon was not make in Kentucky... (Sorry Ernie... :tongue:).

But she knew what a double was... (Bad joke from 2015 MPG between Jeff and Ernie and experienced waitress... NOT. Not: 2 drinks in separate glasses... :eek::tongue:. But, for us old geezers... the lathe was turned off!!! Safety first, friendship next.. come back tomorrow to have more fun.

Jeff would of cracked up when he seen the Bourbon (I mean Whiskey) list:biggrin:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Indeed it was a great day and a half. Thank you Mark and Ernie for making the trip and, edging me to get back into the shop to do some turning.

TWO cases of Yuengling to boot!!!:biggrin:

Sorry you didn't get a turn at the metal lathe Mark. You'll get it next time. :biggrin:

It was a lot of fun having you guys visit and, thanks for everything I learned from both of you.

Attachments

• IMG_1663 (2).jpg
    IMG_1663 (2).jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_1661 (2).jpg
    IMG_1661 (2).jpg
    265.1 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_1662 (2).jpg
    IMG_1662 (2).jpg
    232 KB · Views: 135

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
That can't be Chuck's shop, there's no piles of shavings, no misc. stuff piled waist deep in the corners, no pop cans on the benches. Nope, this is some sort of Hollywood set that is supposed to pass as a wood turner's shop.
Glad you guys got to spend some time with the old guy, he's a winner fer sure.
WB

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
That can't be Chuck's shop, there's no piles of shavings, no misc. stuff piled waist deep in the corners, no pop cans on the benches. Nope, this is some sort of Hollywood set that is supposed to pass as a wood turner's shop.
WB

Well Bill...

Yup! it was "Chuck's Shed".

Too clean when we arrived... Some Pop cans, no beer cans , (until later), but a lot of FUN! It was clean when we came, a bit filthy when we left - so all was good! Now we just need to make time to come again!

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I could live in a cave like that .... oh yes, I could ...
LOL! Thanks Gregory. IF Susanne ever told me to sleep in there....I would have no problem with it.:biggrin:

Sounds like you had a good time Mark. I meet Chuck this week be had lunch with him as he was passing thru town and I know he was really looking forward to you guys coming this weekend. Looking forward to the rest of the pics

Mike
Mike...it was a pleasure meeting with you for lunch. Thanks for taking the time. Sorry it was so short. But, in that short time, I learned a lot.

what the heck is that your wearing Chuck? A Coat? I havent seen one of those things in years..
Unfortunately....it IS indeed a coat. A warm coat :redface::tongue:

I'm glad to see that you guys stood over him while he re-learned how to turn again......:biggrin: I see he cleaned up too!!!! :eek:
I'm sure you all had a great time. :)
Steven...you are SO right. I didn't realize how rusty I was. :redface: But, at least I'm still able to recover somewhat:wink::biggrin: We all wished you could have been there with us :wink::biggrin: Now....THAT would have been a good time :biggrin: YES...I cleaned the CAVE up a little :tongue::biggrin:

Looks like a great time. Yes, the pictures show that he can clean up the cave.:highfive:
Can't wait to see the rest of the pictures. :bananen_smilies046:
I hope when I get down there he will show me how that metal lathe works.

I can see he needs some chairs to sit down in at times for a visit.
Hope he gave you a lot of candy for the return trip. :handshake:
Yep Wayne... we had a good time. Wish you could have been here too. See you in March!:wink:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
WB
Bill....I called in some cleaners for an estimate. They opened the door and took one look inside :eek: They said....I'll be right back. I haven't seen them since. :redface: So I did a little myself :rolleyes::biggrin:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Maybe a little,:wink: but I think sharing a Pint or two with him would be more fun!:biggrin:
Yep! All in good fun.:wink:Steve's a blast without a pint but, I imagine we could raise the roof with some pop tops :wink::biggrin:

TWO cases of Yuengling to boot!!!:biggrin:

Well how about that! It's a good thing you turn in a Studio, because if you turned in a shop, they would have showed up with the PBR.:biggrin:
You again!!!:rolleyes: I've told you guys...it AIN'T a Flippin' STUDIO :mad::biggrin:

There were also a few bottles of top shelf bourbon in that mix :eek: But people in Indiana have no clue what bourbon is.
Just the bartenders :biggrin: the rest of us drinkers know :wink::biggrin:

stonepecker

There were also a few bottles of top shelf bourbon in that mix :eek: But people in Indiana have no clue what bourbon is.

And some of us in Minnesota know what good bourbon is.

If you want to try what my dad and I drank for years when working. Mix Bourbon and Peppermint Schnapps together 50/50 ( our version of SnoShoe :rolleyes: )
In the winter when ice fishing, just keep it on the ice and drink it cold. In the summer, great with a beer chaser.

EBorraga

In Memoriam
You'd think neighboring Kentucky would teach Indiana about Bourbon.

I try to teach everyone!! It's kind of a inside joke from MPG. I had commented that 90% of the people outside of KY commonly refer to bourbon as Whiskey.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
What happened to that SKIPRAT? It's been two days since he ribbed me about the towel. :biggrin: Takes off when the heat is on. :biggrin:

stonepecker

Thinking the Rat is having second thought about that pink towel. We know that you would line his coffin with it Chuck. You are that kind of giving guy. :biggrin:
Heck, I am almost willing to bet you would make the coffin. :eek:

D.Oliver

What happened to that SKIPRAT? It's been two days since he ribbed me about the towel. :biggrin: Takes off when the heat is on. :biggrin:

I don't know, but I hope he come back soon. Skiprat giving you the mickey is some of the best reading on IAP!:tongue:

Skie_M

Actually, I think the saying is more like, "Skiprat taking the Mickey out of you is some of the best reading on IAP!"

Skie_M

Who could? They're Brits, we're Yanks, and the Aussies stand upside down ... it's a wonder they don't all fall off the planet!

Let's not get into the Canuks with the flip-top heads... :bulgy-eyes:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader

I don't know, but I hope he come back soon. Skiprat giving you the mickey is some of the best reading on IAP!:tongue:
Yes...he IS quite funny...if you get my drift:wink:

Actually, I think the saying is more like, "Skiprat taking the Mickey out of you is some of the best reading on IAP!"
Thank you!!:tongue:

Is that how that goes? I can't keep those British sayings straight!
This is one reason you should stay in Faith:biggrin::tongue:

Who could? They're Brits, we're Yanks, and the Aussies stand upside down ... it's a wonder they don't all fall off the planet!

Let's not get into the Canuks with the flip-top heads... :bulgy-eyes:
But...still no Skippy:rolleyes: I saw him posting in another thread:wink: He's around here somewhere now. Probably hiding in a Bourbon barrel :biggrin:

stonepecker

Been looking at the different beers I might bring to Chuck. He says he likes them dark but I know I am going to have to bring a case of something different to try.

And all I can do is hope that the Rat is fine and doing well. Would love to see him here sometime in the states. Maybe get him to give a demo somewhere we all can get to. I know that would be something to see.

Hey Chuck? How many can the cave hold and do you have a cage for a rat?

LOL

Skie_M

Hmmm ... I think I remember ... in one of the older pics of the cave before he cleaned it up good ... there was a hamster wheel in the corner, hiding under a ... what the hell was a pink towel doing in there, anyways???

Top Bottom