Respect!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Krash

I am trying to get into bowl turning. I am having a pretty steep learning curve learning how to use a gouge and "ride the bevel". I've blown up everything I've tried so far. :bulgy-eyes: Not sure if it is a speed thing or an angle thing .... or both.

I have a new found respect for all you bowl turners out there!

I'll keep at it though, learning tool technique and bowl turning techniques.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tomtedesco

We all went thru this. If there is a woodturning club near you most are willing to help someone getting started. Hang in there and keep the chips flying. (wait until you discover open segmenting)

76winger

This seems obvious, but just in case: Are you using a bowl turning gouge or a roughing gouge? The later doesn't work well for bowl turning.

mecompco

Lots of stuff looks easy on YouTube! Having just completed my first pen using the wood lathe and a 1" flat skew (have gotten reasonably good at making them on the metal lathe) I have much respect for the great pens I see posted here and the skew-wizards on YT that can get a finish that needs no sanding (mine needed LOTS of sanding).

Regards,
Michael

D.Oliver

Been there done that. Out of my first seven bowls I attempted I only only ended up with two bowls. I found that Lyle Jamison on Youtube makes some really good instructional videos on bowl turning, bevel control and the differnt types of cuts (Push cut, Pull cut, scrape, sheer scrape....) Check him out.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Keep at it Kelly!

I use Sorby Mini gouges (spindle and Roughing) for my pens probably 75% of the time, so I am an "experienced beginner" with gouges.

When I do bowls and the bird houses, using larger gouges (roughing, spindle and bowl), sometimes NO TOOL works well - and It is my inexperience in sharpening them that is usually the cause. So as you get experience with larger turnings, be mindful of how you are sharpening. And I usually hone frequently. Also, different woods simply don't like me! I still have difficulty with getting a nice finish on simple walnut bowls :confused:.

However, I suspect I simply need to retire and have enough time to play and learn :tongue:.

Have FUN!

Krash

This seems obvious, but just in case: Are you using a bowl turning gouge or a roughing gouge? The later doesn't work well for bowl turning.

I just purchased a 3/8" PM Crown bowl gouge. I found it hard to control and ended up using the trusty round nosed scraper I am so familiar with in my pen turning.

Krash

Kelly; I found David Ellsworth DVD to be very good with excellent closeups of his techniques. As Tom mentioned, look for a local turning club. Hmmmm, it looks like there is one in Albuquerque (WOW! I spelled that right on the first try!)
New Mexico Woodturners - American Association of Woodturners

Many clubs have members willing and able to mentor you to get you started on the right track.

Yes!!!

I have been following that website and needing to join and attend the meetings since there are some great turners who participate. I was *pridefully* thinking I could just watch a bunch of youtube videos and be fine .... and maybe that is still true, but I still have a ways to go. I know this is a learning process and that my blowups will give me the experience to progress.

Hopefully in the near future I'll be posting a picture of my new baby, blissfully blind to its thick sides and crude shape!:)

BTW, nice job on the spelling of Appleturkey!

Last edited:

D.Oliver

Also, different woods simply don't like me! I still have difficulty with getting a nice finish on simple walnut bowls :confused:.

However, I suspect I simply need to retire and have enough time to play and learn :tongue:.

Have FUN!

Walnut isn't an easy wood to turn bowls from. It's prone to tear-out on the endgrain sides of the bowl. I think cedar and ash are good woods to learn bowls on.

Last edited:

Fay Prozora

I turned 2 bowls from the bowl blanks I bought awhile back. It was challenging and fun. I got a nasty catch on one of them and was able to work that out. I plan to turn more in the near future. Take your time and keep at it, but remember shop safety. I had a bowl fly off the lathe missing my head. It is fun with the right tools and such. Good luck with your progress. Fay

Charlie_W

The advise to get help from an experienced bowl turner is right on. You want to learn what to do and do it right.....you likewise need to know what can be hazardous and cause injury.

Always wear a sturdy face mask.

NEVER Never use a spindle roughing gouge on a bowl. A catch can break the tool off at the handle.

The grind angle on your bowl gouge can make bowl turning easier or harder as well as being sharp. An angle that is right for the inside wall of a bowl might not work at all on the transition from inside wall to bottom.
If you don't have a grinder, you need one and need to learn how to sharpen correctly.....again, a turning club or mentor is best here.

Good luck!

Rockytime

This may be a stupid novice question but what is the difference between a roughing and bowl gouge. Is it the grind angle and if so which is which?

low_48

I agree with Charlie W, GET A MENTOR. It will take months and months to go through this on your own, or weeks with a mentor. You'll waste money on trying more tools, and blowing up wood. Blowing up bowls can be hazardous to your health. Taking a hit to the head can result in death. It's happened before. Use wet firewood instead of kiln dried blanks to learn on. Use red maple if you can, it's soft and cuts well. Silver maple cuts worse, but it's everywhere around here. Learn to power sand. Get some good mandrels and discs from Vince's Woodnwonders. Sticking a piece of sandpaper inside a bowl with your fingers is dangerous and ridiculously slow. I turn about 50 bowls to each pen these days. I have a production run of 9, 18" diameter x 6" deep salad bowls right now in silver maple. When I started turning bowls in 1986, I gave up. Then I attended an AAW Regional Symposium in St. Louis. I learned about using wet wood, how to turn it so it didn't crack during drying, how to grind the tools, what tools to use, and how to power sand. Learned all that information in one weekend. I still taught myself after that, but it took a while. So go to the Association of American Woodturners and find a local chapter.
Blowing up bowls has almost nothing to do with speed. It's how you present the tool, and how you have the flute orientated are the keys. It takes a dance as you move the gouge through the cut. It's a subtle motion of pivot and rotate as you come through the cut. A mentor can actually have a hand on the gouge and keep it in position for you until you learn.

Last edited:

Lucky2

I agree, get a mentor if possible Kelly, but, just to get started do a search on You-tube for Brendon Stemp, I learned more from his videos than anyone elses. After watching his video on turning bowls, I went to the shop and turned my first bowl without a catch. Before watching his video, I always had a couple of catches per bowl, not now.
Len

Last edited:

JimB

You need to stop and get a mentor. If you are blowing up everything then what you are doing is dangerous. Of the hundreds of bowls I have turned, including some end grain forms, I have only blown up a few and those where all cases where I knew there was a risk due to defects in the wood. The few other catches I have had were minor. I have also taught a few non-turners how to turn bowls and they did it without any problems.

Get a mentor before you get seriously hurt.

Rick_G

This may be a stupid novice question but what is the difference between a roughing and bowl gouge. Is it the grind angle and if so which is which?

No such thing as a stupid question only stupid answers. The question asked could save you a lot of grief later.
A roughing gouge is meant for spindle work only. It is generally made by bending the metal to the shape desired and usually has a smaller tang going into the handle. Usually much larger than a bowl gouge. The tang is a weak point and it's easy to get a bad catch on bowls and it can break with disastrous results to both the turning and the turner.

The bowl gouge is a round rod which has been ground to shape including the flute. It's much stronger and although there have been cases of them breaking it's rare.

Here's a photo of a roughing gouge on the Lee Valley website.
High-Speed Steel Roughing Gouges - Lee Valley Tools

And a photo of a bowl gouge on the Lee Valley website.
HSS Long Strong Deep-U Bowl Gouges - Lee Valley Tools

Using a roughing gouge (should be called a spindle roughing gouge) on bowls is just dangerous.

Last edited:
Top Bottom