Removing clicker from CSUSA Clicker pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Don't know if I've just been lucky or what as I've never had to remove the click mechanism from a CSUSA Clicker pen...until now. Since one can't insert a HF transfer punch that will just barely fit inside the tube (because of the coupler, anyone have an easy way or tips to remove it without damaging it? So far, using a HF transfer punch on an angle to catch one side of the mechanism has not worked for me.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

thewishman

I tried to take 25 of them apart and only got about 3 to work. I use Loctite and the cheaper version that you did a group buy for, when I assemble my pens. Tried heating the pens up in the toaster oven and a part of the click mech melts much quicker than the Loctite heats up sufficiently.:frown:

Now I just consider the kit a loss and bang away to save the pen barrel.

keithbyrd

I had so much trouble with the clickers and disassembly that I have all but quit making them - I probably made 25 or so but only had 3-4 last without trouble.

SteveG

I am among those who after multiple attempts, was unable to disassemble this style pen without damaging the clicker. I believe it cannot be done.

KenV

I have had about 75-80 percent with clicker pen disassembly after some experimenting and despairation.

I put a medium wad of paper towel into the tube and proceed with lots of tapping.

I do not use locative, epoxy, or CA on clicker mechanisms, so only have to overcome friction.

Too little paper towel it does not eventually come free. Too little the mechanism gets smashed.

Theory is that the paper towel spreads the impact.

Last edited:

flyitfast

Mannie, I have removed several clicker/finials using a transfer punch. I found a punch that fits inside the nib end and ground it with an "L" shape shelf that will catch on the metal end that is inside the tube. Holding the punch at an angle and the "L" acting as a shelf, I have been able to tap the clicker part out by tapping on it by moving it around the inside at an angle. Just go slow. It shouldn't damage the insert or the tube this way. So far, I haven't had any problems. :eek: Even gave a short demo on it at our last club meeting for a couple of members pens. This also works on Bolt pens an other pens with "damageable" moving parts.
If any questions, let me know.
Gordon

By the way, I also use the padded Vise Grips from Exotic Blanks/PSI to hold the blank more securely and to prevent damage.

Last edited:

SteveG

I am among those who after multiple attempts, was unable to disassemble this style pen without damaging the clicker. I believe it cannot be done.

Others have managed to do this. So I now adjust my opinion from it "cannot be done", to: "it is not worth my time or effort". I like the kit, and will continue to use it, but will be very careful to avoid the need for disassembly. If the need does arise, parts will be appropriately sacrificed if the barrel portion is worth a redo. Otherwise, I consider it an opportunity for target practice (target=trash can). :biggrin:

thewishman

I have had about 75-80 percent with clicker pen disassembly after some experimenting and despairation.

I put a medium wad of paper towel into the tube and proceed with lots of tapping.

I do not use locative, epoxy, or CA on clicker mechanisms, so only have to overcome friction.

Thanks, Ken. I find that the clip spins after some use, unless I secure the slip fit with loctite or similar stuff.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Don't recall if I used Loctite on this one or not.
I didn't have a brass tube that fit (like in the thread that Warren linked to) so I tried to push it out with the tail stock of my lathe using a wooden dowel. No luck. It did, however) appear to fix the problem I was having with the click mechanism. We'll see how long it lasts now.

Top Bottom