Releasing bottle stopper from mandrel

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

Odds are that a slightly larger drill bit will help.

Metal tap and drill tables suggest a 5/16 (8mm) bit. Ruth Niles suggests a larger bit and it makes the fit easier.

A touch of wax on the mandrel threads can also help.

hilltopper46

Sometimes a neoprene glove gives me enough extra grip to get it off. Occasionally, a neoprene glove next to the stopper body, then a few wraps of a towel around that and either a pliers or a bar stuck through the wraps of the towel.

The best action is preventative as listed above, larger hole and/or wax on the threads.

Good luck.

dogcatcher

The blank gets jammed tight when you start turning, so I turn it and then break it loose before I start sanding. You can get a better grip on the turned blank before sanding.

monophoto

Been there. Best cure is prevention: if you use CA to strengthen the threads, make sure it is cured completely before attaching to the mandrel. Also, put some paste wax on the mandrel thread before screwing on the blank. Finally, after turning and sanding the stopper, loosen it a bit before applying finish

And when the finished stopper gets stuck, wear a nitrile glove on the hand you grip it with to prevent slipping

Charlie_W

Ruth's Niles' newer bottle stopper mandrels include a hole through the cross section of the mandrel body into which one can insert a nail or rod which allows a good grip on the mandrel. I would avoid a drill bit as it could snap as you put torque on it.
Also agree with waxing the threads. Remember though that wax on the threads may hinder gluing the stopper into the turned stopper top.

I don't use a mandrel for bottle stoppers... I've found a 3/8" pin chuck works best for me. I have a flat on one end, put a cut finish nail on the flat, then wiggle the blank onto the pin and turn away... once finished, shift the stopper back to loosen the pin and work it off. I hold the pin in a beale collet.

Ruth Niles

One of my customers gave me the best solution: put the hole thing, mandrel and stopper blank in the freezer for about 15 minutes. Everything shrinks and the stopper comes off the mandrel with ease.

I haven't tried it myself but the customers that I passed it on to have reported back that it really does work.

Hope this helps.

Ruth Niles

Top Bottom