Regular pump or premium pump?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

gerryr

For those who make a lot of fountain pens, is there enough difference between Berea's regular ink pump and the premium pump to justify the additional cost?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Here is a little trick to eliminate "air lock". Rinse the converter out with a mild solution of cool soapy water.. sometimes the mold release agent used to make the convertors causes the ink to stick to the sides causing the air lock. I learned this on one of my collectable fountain pen forums.
Another solution to try is about a tsp of household ammonia in a quart jar of water...

But to answer your question, yes the better grade convertors are better quality... in fact I buy the Rotring convertors from http://www.pendemonium.com/ and find them the best of all at $5.00 each. Click on the Ink and Refills link on the left side then on the Rotring link on the page that comes up..
I have no financial interest in them, but I love their service and advice.

Draken

I'm new to the FP scene, and I'm using a FP Jr. Statesman V2 as my daily pen to get used to them. How do these converters work, and how do you get ink into them? I'd like to use Noodlers bulletproof ink in my pen, but they don't make cartridges, only bottled ink (I asked).

Cheers,
Draken

TomServo

draken: the Jr Statesman should have come with one of the inexpensive converters - it will serve you well, though you may need to tap it once in a while. I've found that if you don't overfill the cartridge, airlock is less likely. Leave a bubble in the cartridge large enough to touch all the way around the cartridge at once (if that makes any sense). Having too small of a bubble and sometimes it won't have enough "lift" to move to the top of the pen when you're ready to write. I've heard good things about the schmidt and others, I own one but haven't tried it yet..

Also, bottled ink ends up being quite a bit cheaper in the long run. I usually fill by detaching the pump and filling the pump, rather than drawing through the nib

gerryr

CSUSA does not supply converters with any of their FPs, not even the Emporer-at least the catalog doesn't say it comes with one. I don't even see converters in their catalog. Berea supplies one with all their FPs.

Draken, order one the next time you place an order with AZ Silhouette. Once you get it, it will be pretty obvious how it works. Or, order some Noodler's Ink from the place Tom mentioned and also order a converter from them.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Originally posted by TomServo
<br />draken: the Jr Statesman should have come with one of the inexpensive converters - it will serve you well, though you may need to tap it once in a while. I've found that if you don't overfill the cartridge, airlock is less likely. Leave a bubble in the cartridge large enough to touch all the way around the cartridge at once (if that makes any sense). Having too small of a bubble and sometimes it won't have enough "lift" to move to the top of the pen when you're ready to write. I've heard good things about the schmidt and others, I own one but haven't tried it yet..

Also, bottled ink ends up being quite a bit cheaper in the long run. I usually fill by detaching the pump and filling the pump, rather than drawing through the nib

CSU does not supply a converter with any of the FPs they offer.. only the Baron has come with a converter...
Air lock will happen even if you leave an air bubble in the converter.. air lock is usually caused by the ink "sticking" to the sides of the converter due to release agent from the casting not being fully removed. The best thing to do with any converter is to first clean it as I recommended in my first post... Also fill the converter by drawing ink through the nib assembly... this keeps the feed of the nib assembly wetted and virtually eliminates skipping. If the feed is not kept wet the FP will skip when writing.

arioux

HI,

Griz says -only the Baron has come with a converter...

Don't want to argue with an experienced (did not say aged [:D])person like you but as far as i know, all Berea FP comes with a converter. At leat eveyone that i have tried (Flat top, round top and El Grande)and every photo on Beartooth site show FP with the converter.

Alfred

Draken

Thanks for the advice everyone. Just to be clear, I would need to order a converter, and a pump, and a bottle of ink to make this work, correct?

Cheers and thanks again!
Draken

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Draken
<br />Thanks for the advice everyone. Just to be clear, I would need to order a converter, and a pump, and a bottle of ink to make this work, correct?

Cheers and thanks again!
Draken

The converter IS the pump you are talking about... and yes you will need a bottle of ink... just make sure you buy GOOD ink... Private Reserve, Noodlers and Pelikan are my favorites

JimGo

Thanks for asking this James! I had the same questions after reading the post about Noodler's.

I'll be curious to hear your thoughts on the converter and its ease of use compared to the cartridges. I'm fairly accident prone, so I'm a little nervous about having a whole bottle full of ink lying around!

TomServo

Griz: I prefer to use the pump to push a little ink out of the nib, then draw it back - wets it perfectly and I don't end up wasting that drop or two of ink on the nib... I didn't know CSUSA doesn't supply converters. I was thinking about trying the Jr Gents, and I'd have been upset without one, after paying $4-6 more than for a RB.

Jim: the bottles have caps that fit securely, and my accident-prone fiance can fill her converter without trouble. Just do it somewhere stable (kitchen counter perhaps) and set the bottle down, cup your little finger and palm around it, and then you can use your forefinger and thumb to steady the converter/nib assembly. I can even fill one handed this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom