reel seats

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

LanceD

Take a look at this link. Everything you want to know about turning reel seats is in his dvd.
http://www.lamarreelseats.com/dvd.html

Originally posted by cd18524
<br />Anyone turn them? If so any tips on where to get some info on how it is done.
chris

LanceD

A reel seat is the part of a fishing rod that your reel attaches to. Most custom seats are made of stabilized wood to prevent damage from moisture.
Originally posted by woodwish
<br />OK, I give- what's a reel seat?

gerryr

Andy Dear is a nice guy, I've done business with him and his DVD got me started turning cork grips and reel seat inserts. BUT, he passes on some very bad information on that DVD, namely he recommends a spindle gouge for turning everything except cork. Turning stabilized burls with a spindle gouge is definitely not my idea of fun and it takes a long time. I've become convinced that this fixation on stablized wood for reel seat inserts is foolishness. I don't know about others, but I don't tend to throw my rods in the water and let them soak. Just use plenty of CA on any wood and it will be impervious to moisture.

lkorn

Originally posted by gerryr
<br />I don't tend to throw my rods in the water and let them soak. Just use plenty of CA on any wood and it will be impervious to moisture.

The reason reel seats are generally stabilized is because even if the rod doesn't "SOAK" in water, flyrods are always being submerged, splashed, sprayed etc. They are after all, used in a water environment.
While I have no problem using CA as a stabilizing agent, I wouldn't trust it to make a reel seat "IMPERVIOUS" to water. To that effect you would have to insure that the inside and the endgrain are perfectly sealed. Then if the outer coating gets chipped or wears from the crushing force of attaching the reel, you might have problems. If you are making the rod for yourself, do what ever. If it is for someone else, OR a customer, I would let them know whether or not the wood is stabilized.

gerryr

There's a builder here in Montana who uses almost nothing but Juniper for grips and reel seat inserts, all well coated with CA, and his work is not inexpensive because it's exquisite. He has yet to have any failures. I fly fish exclusively and frequently and the last time I had a reel submerged was about three years ago when slipped while wading. It just doesn't happen very often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom