Recent Bowls

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doghouse

I will be having a busy summer so I am getting Stocked up early.
NaturalCherry.jpg

American cherry with a natural side/edge. I have not finished this as I may carve the outside.

MyrtleBurl.jpg

Myrtle burl. I found I am allergic to this wood, I ended up hacking for a month after turning it. Nice stuff but never again!

Mahogany.jpg

13" Mahogany bowl with Just sanding sealer. I may add a sealing coat of lacquer but I like to spray in batches so I don't have to clean so much up.

BethOlive.jpg

This was a piece of Bethlehem olive wood I picked up at the IAP birthday sale. It was a funny shape, so I kept the natural edge.

Thanks for looking, please feel free to comment or question.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenWorks

Nice selection and great work. I have a suggestion for the 2 one, whack off the butt or bottom of the bowl and make it a hat. Probablly get tripple for it [8D]

angboy

That myrtle burl is amazing! I never thought I'd be one who would get so excited about wood, to where I would talk to myself at my computer, commenting on how good a piece of wood looked, but that's happening to me these days! And this wood would cause it and just did! And I love the shape you made it into.

Doghouse, those are really great. You have done the wood a great justice of letting them show themselves off.
Joe in MD it's too late, she's turned over. No amount of talking to someone will help. [;)]

Doghouse

When I picked up the Myrtle burl (by mistake) I was irritated but it was a cheep ebay item so oh well. I never could figure out what to make out of it. So it sat on the shelf for about 6 mths. Then on a bad day I figured I have ruined everything else time to turn that...

Much to my surprize it was very easy to turn, and has fantastic color, almost a bronse or copper. I coated it in sanding sealer, and did the final sanding. That is when it hit me, I was having a hard time breathing. (Stupid me for got his resparator!) I could not even buff it out for 2 days. I had the DC and Air Cleaner running but it still got me. Oh well live and learn.

Angboy, you think you have a problem, even after that I am wondering if I can find another piece...

I am having a hard time with that cherry piece. I don't know if I like it, and cannot figure out what to do to the outside. Any thinner I go through the natural edge. I think I may have to figure out how to carve and do something like that.

Dario

Myrtlewood is one of my favorites...turns like maple but have courser grain and more color. I like the aroma too. Sorry that it didn't work for you but others should give it a try...it makes interesting pens BTW.

I like the olivewood the best from this lot.

John, I am so sorry to hear of your reaction to the myrtlewood. I will be glad to take that bowl off your hands so it will not bother you any longer! Seriously, they are all beautiful but that is my facorite, and then the BOW. I sure wish there was someone near here that could help me get started on bowls. I have everything to do them but just afraid to try!

angboy

This discussion gives me a good idea- I could be both psychologist and patient, talk to myself, listen to myself at the same time, and turn at the same time, and be accomplishing three things at once! I bet most people can't do two other things while they're turning! But I do think that treatments like that always work better if you have the offending piece present to look at and focus on... [:p][:p]

Doghouse

Bev, just keep saying "I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past, I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain." - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear.

Ok yes I am a Sci-Fi freak. Bowls are no different than any other turning. You will mess up a few in the beginning, then once you turn a nice one you are hooked! Heck I now keep a "seconds" box on the side of the display table with marked down mistakes. (They sell almost faster than the firsts.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom