a really stinky subject

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rifleman1776

I had my septic tank pumped out today. Not shattering news. But I did learn quite a bit about such matters. Our house is about ten years old and the tank had never been pumped. The guy who did it said we were only a short while away from needing our entire field dug up and replaced. What was less than a $300.00 job would have cost about $6,000.00 if we had waited a few more months. He said that for a family of four, every 4 years is reccomended and 7 to 8 years for a family of two. Use only yeast to help the system. Do not use ridex as it re-solidifies in the lines making expensive problems.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ryannmphs

Hmmm, that's funny, my parents have lived in their house for just over 30 years and have never had the septic system pumped. Growing up it was a family of 5. I always find it funny that the people that pump the tanks also advocate getting them pumped every so many years.
No, we never put anything down the drain to "help" the system either.

Now that my parents are selling the house, they had it inspected. All was good to go, no problems to report.

Ryan

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
A lot depends on what you put through your sink disposal system. For example, egg shells live forever, until the "honey wagon" takes them out.

Also if you have a huge tank, it gets pumped less often.

However, an ounce of prevention...........[:)]

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by ryannmphs
<br />Hmmm, that's funny, my parents have lived in their house for just over 30 years and have never had the septic system pumped. Growing up it was a family of 5. I always find it funny that the people that pump the tanks also advocate getting them pumped every so many years.
No, we never put anything down the drain to "help" the system either.

Now that my parents are selling the house, they had it inspected. All was good to go, no problems to report.

Ryan

Tennessee? I suppose I could make some jokes about outhouses and Sears Roebuck catalogs. But, I won't. [;)] Actually, some folks are luck with theirs. The company that did mine has been in business a long time and is very honest. I'll take their advice and err on the side of caution. $300.00 every five years or so is a lot cheaper than $6,000.00 and a week in a motel every ten years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom