A real test of patience.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skie_M

Well, I'll admit that he's definitely put some time into doing that stuff, but a lathe sure would have made his job much easier ... even a rudimentary one! As much as the final result gleams, he could have gotten the same finish and surface 20 times faster by using a lathe and sanding up to 1000 grit. I can't fault him for wanting to get the work done all by hand, though, just the way a Japanese woodworker would do it 500 years ago...

He's running a russian channel, and has some unusual ideas about what a woodworker should or shouldn't know, as evidenced by his other recent videos, particularly one about a 25 thousand dollar precision wide surface jointer, which is actually an oversized hand planer turned upside down with a motorized system that runs the board over it. The wood shaving that comes off it literally FLOATS down the chute and could easily be used for nearly see-through shogo screens. He says it's a machine that only 1 in 1000 woodworkers could understand the use for .... ??!?

ZbR

Sorry, I can not agree the same effect could be achieved with fast modern methods. Lathe? Is there a lathe one can turn beams of this size? The surface you can get with a hand plane is much more superior to sanded one.

I regret they did not show final construction.

Skie_M

Yeah, I've seen industrial lathes that can turn a tree trunk 2 feet across, 50 feet long .... where did you think telephone poles came from?

CREID

Sorry, I can not agree the same effect could be achieved with fast modern methods. Lathe? Is there a lathe one can turn beams of this size? The surface you can get with a hand plane is much more superior to sanded one.

I regret they did not show final construction.

I wish they had shown something finished but I think there also may have been more than one project being shown in the video.

Top Bottom