Rattlesnake skins.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob A

Ordered some skins from the place Don recommended. http://www.sdsnake.com/ Steve, the seller was great. I told him I would be using the skins for pens and he sent the perfect sized skins for pens. I was amazed at the strength of the skins, I had never seen tanned skins before.

Steve also sent a surprize package of rattlesnake eggs. What a blast that was!:D

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Texas Taco

Originally posted by Bob A
<br />Steve also sent a surprize package of rattlesnake eggs.

What ever you do, don't let them get too hot [}:)] be sure and keep them in a cool place................. [:D]

its_virgil

Watch out for those eggs...mine have hatched[:D]
Aren't Steve's snake skins nice?!
Good luck with your pens.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by Bob A
<br />Ordered some skins from the place Don recommended. http://www.sdsnake.com/ Steve, the seller was great. I told him I would be using the skins for pens and he sent the perfect sized skins for pens. I was amazed at the strength of the skins, I had never seen tanned skins before.

Steve also sent a surprize package of rattlesnake eggs. What a blast that was![:D]

Skye

I remember someone mentioning not using tanned skins because the chemical they use in the tanning reacts to the resin. Just something I read somewhere, may want to look into that. Rather safe than sorry.

Bob A

Yeah I saw that post about the tanned skins reacting to the resin. It was in that post that Don mentioned the skins from http://www.sdsnake.com/ not being a problem. I can now confirm as I cast some last night and they look great. Turned two pens today, not without problems but nothing to do with the skins.

its_virgil

Yep, that's correct. We have a cowboy boot making plant close and I have obtained scraps from them...python,...boa,...lizards,....and various other skins and they turn black when the resin is poured around them. Too bad, too, because their scraps are just the right size for pens and not much good for anything else because of their size. And the price is really good.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by JimGo
<br />Skye,
The guy they ordered from is the only one Don has had luck with even with tanned skins.

Skye

If you know how to sew, you could probaby make some nice cheap holders. The ones that are just two long strips of leather with 3 of the edges bound. Better than throwing it all away.

its_virgil

I only obtained enough scraps to try a few castings and when the skins didn't work it all went to the trash. Don't have room in my shop for a sewing machine[;)]
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by Skye
<br />If you know how to sew, you could probaby make some nice cheap holders. The ones that are just two long strips of leather with 3 of the edges bound. Better than throwing it all away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom