Ranking Metals of Kits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Somewhere a while I saw a ranking of the kits from best to worst. I have looked in the library and other places but can't find it. Does anyone know where I can get this info? Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

You will never find kits ranked. As far as metals go that too is subjective. You will hear all kinds of technical stuff coming next though. Good luck. By the way can not go wrong with chrome. :) I wish cars would have more of it. i remember those days, waxing that bright shiny chrome bumpers.:)

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Not looking a kit ranking just the finishes ie Rhodium, Triv, Gold, Gun Metal, Chrome.... someone listed them awhile back.
You can find several general rankings of finish by durability. blog.woodturnerscatalog.com/2012/09/pens-and-platings/ has CSUSA's thoughts....My own experience is Rhodium, Gold Tn and Black Ti are the most durable followed by Chrome, Black Chrome and Gun Metal....with Copper, gold and silver least durable but usually have a clear coat of epoxy applied over the plating that extends their life somewhat.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
trivalent chrome - a darker chrome finish.

I find chrome to be unbelievably long wearing...I categorize them into two - finishes that I find acceptable in terms of wearability, and ones which are unacceptable.

Acceptable: Rhodium, Platinum, Chrome, Gold Titanium Nitride, gun metal
Unacceptable: gold, copper, black painted stuff (like on the regular sierra)

Unaware: I have no experience with any others, so I'd have to try them out for a while before deciding where they go on my list

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
trivalent chrome - a darker chrome finish.

I find chrome to be unbelievably long wearing...I categorize them into two - finishes that I find acceptable in terms of wearability, and ones which are unacceptable.

Acceptable: Rhodium, Platinum, Chrome, Gold Titanium Nitride, gun metal
Unacceptable: gold, copper, black painted stuff (like on the regular sierra)

Unaware: I have no experience with any others, so I'd have to try them out for a while before deciding where they go on my list
A interesting note Andrew is that Trivalent Chrome is used mostly for environmental and safety reasons, I am not exactly sure why but it is considered more environment friendly and safer for workers than hexavalent chrome probably because the vapors are less toxic. Some manufacturers always use it even if they don't advertise that fact. I was getting it from one of my sources long before I knew what it was. EPA in the USA might require it on Chrome plating done here. I don't think there is any real difference in wearability.

Last edited:
Top Bottom